ADVERTISEMENT

Game day

WhyNotaSooner

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2004
We made the trip up and enjoyed a great time and met up with a few peeps for a fun tailgate. I'm sure some will have something to say w/ regards to my following comment but I say this with good intent.

The stadium expansion.... it was pretty. It was loud. It was also a good time.... but damn. The expansion of all the additional seats simply can not handle the crowds properly & safely. For example, parking just sucked in sooo many levels. It took us 57 minutes to get out of the parking lot. This was after a 33. in walk to the parking lot. But what really was bad and very unsafe was that the crowds at halftime attempting to reach the one restroom was just crazy crowded. For a lack of a better word or name, I'll call it the breezeway/walkunder the bleachers. It appeared to be only 40 feet wide. And only one restroom? Simply put, one could not move. God help us all if something bad ever occurred during a game. People would die being stampeded. With all the millions of $$$ spent, nothing was done to assist the fans w/ concessions, restrooms, and to safely assist the flow of folks coming and going before, during, and after the game.

Having a better defense would be nice and will most likely happen well before correcting a very bad safety concern. OK, off my soapbox.

We made the trip up and enjoyed a great time and met up with a few peeps for a fun tailgate. I'm sure some will have something to say w/ regards to my following comment but I say this with good intent.

The stadium expansion.... it was pretty. It was loud. It was also a good time.... but damn. The expansion of all the additional seats simply can not handle the crowds properly & safely. For example, parking just sucked in sooo many levels. It took us 57 minutes to get out of the parking lot. This was after a 33. in walk to the parking lot. But what really was bad and very unsafe was that the crowds at halftime attempting to reach the one restroom was just crazy crowded. For a lack of a better word or name, I'll call it the breezeway/walkunder the bleachers. It appeared to be only 40 feet wide. And only one restroom? Simply put, one could not move. God help us all if something bad ever occurred during a game. People would die being stampeded. With all the millions of $$$ spent, nothing was done to assist the fans w/ concessions, restrooms, and to safely assist the flow of folks coming and going before, during, and after the game.

Having a better defense would be nice and will most likely happen well before correcting a very bad safety concern. OK, off my soapbox.
Which area are you speaking of? I'll be glad to forward your concern to the powers that be. I can assure you that fan safety is a priority for the athletic department and the OU fire marshal's office. There's a significant upgrade to the stadium that will begin at the end of the season that will be addressing some safety and access issues. You didn't hear this from me, but part of it will be all new and additional handrails with built in wifi.

Reactions: iasooner1
Which area are you speaking of? I'll be glad to forward your concern to the powers that be. I can assure you that fan safety is a priority for the athletic department and the OU fire marshal's office. There's a significant upgrade to the stadium that will begin at the end of the season that will be addressing some safety and access issues. You didn't hear this from me, but part of it will be all new and additional handrails with built in wifi.

People are going to need handrails once they start selling beer during the games. ;)

Being uncomfortable is why I gave up my season tickets a few yrs ago. I can be miserable and uncomfortable at home sometimes but I don't have to pay a lot of money to do so. :D

Good luck with that, a few yrs ago we had two fat butts in our season ticket seats, campus police and stadium security did squat. Called Borens Office to complain about it when we got home that Monday and was told by his office that " Not just anyone gets to talk to him!"
Have never been back, cancelled our season tickets as well. They don't care so I save my money.

We sat in Sec101, Row 1. Enjoyed the seats and the peeps around us were all pleasant and fun. When one walked out to the concession/restrooms under the seats, you literally could not move. So from the end (sec.101) to the opposite end (sec.109) everyone had to migrate to the middle to reach the restrooms. (men & women) As a result, you had people attempting to get there and people attempting to return. I'm pretty sure they have cameras in place, so they are sure to see/know what occurs. Basically, it's too many people confined in too small of a space. Like I said earlier, God forbid that a fire and/or a bad situation happens. Trampled to Death will more than likely be a headline. It's bad and there is no way I'm the only one that believes this.

Let's know that wifi is nice but restrooms are needed. On each end and they would greatly increase the safety & the flow of people. And with the additional sales of beer, there will be a huge increase in the need for restrooms.

Reactions: iasooner1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT