ADVERTISEMENT

Frustration with “Execution vs Scheme” Debate on Offense…Plus…Prospective Changes?

Indy_Sooner22

Gold Member
Nov 28, 2021
I’ve seen and heard lots of discourse among fans, reporters, local media, and national analysts on the OU offense. It seems like the focal talking point has been distilled down to “Is it the scheme and play calls (coaching) or is it the talent and execution (players)?”

This type of debate almost implies that the primary fault of the offense should either be placed on the coaches OR the players.

I see and hear comments about running backs missing holes, linemen missing assignments, Hawk missing open receivers, TEs failing to block, WRs running wrong routes, failed blitz pickup from RBs. The list goes on and on. I think all of those observations are extremely valid and highlight a massive lack of execution.

My issue is that we seem to have some folks who then try to imply that lack of execution is solely attributed to players and not coaching. It’s not everyone, but there are definitely some people who are using execution as a shield to excuse this offensive staff for the poor performance.

My frustration is that coaching football isn’t just about scheme, concepts, Xs and Os, and in-game play calling. In reality, successful football is much more about sound fundamentals, guys being in proper alignment and position, executing their individual assignments, and being put in position to be successful within each play. The lack of execution and development of this offense should be directly attributed to the offensive coaching staff.

In terms of putting players in position to execute and be successful:

If Taylor Tatum can’t understand the difference between run plays hitting right vs left, he should never see the field. If Hawk is a single read QB right now, why are we running sprint to one side of the field and narrowing his ability and space to tuck and run? If Bauer Sharp can’t block, why is he repeatedly being inserted for in-line blocking in the run game? If Fbechi and Sexton can’t pull, why are we attempting gap scheme run game?

At some point execution and player development needs to be taken into consideration with regards to coaching in addition to scheme and play calling. There isn’t a single offensive player who is better this year vs last year (save for Barnes). Even if you want to point to how many new guys we have on offense vs last year, no one is looking better at this point in the season vs. the first game (maybe Tarquin…I guess Kearney?).

BV comes out today and essentially says he doesn’t believe in the benefit of mid-season coaching changes. Normally I’d agree, but this thing is snowballing into an unmitigated disaster. I will be genuinely shocked if we score more than 13 on Saturday. I know it’s cliche, but as the saying goes: the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I will conclude with a comparable CFB situation here in Indiana. Purdue fires Graham Harrell a few weeks ago. They elevate an offensive staffer to call plays, and yes…they initially struggle. Only score 6 points against Wisconsin. However, this past weekend the HC Ryan Walters (a defensive HC who calls the defense) took over the offense and they scored 40 on the road against Illinois. Think about that for a second. You’re telling me Kevin Johns couldn’t implement some changes that just might lead to some different results?

After the TN game I felt very confident about BV’s direction and mindset towards making difficult decisions should they be required. After today’s presser, I feel the complete opposite. It seems that BV is so process driven and believes so much “in the work” that he thinks they have a chance of actually salvaging this thing as is. I’m just having a hard time seeing it.

I’ll keep cheering for this team and I do hope for the best, but man, it is hard to have any positivity right now about the direction of this year’s team and, more importantly, the program as a whole.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.