ADVERTISEMENT

Four Games Into the Season

veritas59

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2003
My (amateur) observations:

• Our defense is as good as our corners, and I think they're pretty good when they are both in there and healthy. Tulsa did light us up a bit when Thomas was out but they also just made some plays when our guys were in decent position. That happens, and will happen again against the better teams in the league. Sometimes you just have to slow 'em down long enough for them to stop themselves, especially in the B12.
  • Really concerned about our ability to run the football. I thought we'd have more production from the running backs. The offensive line has got to improve or we'll get outscored 2 or 3 times between now and the end of the year....... if not four times.
  • We might be 2 and 2 without Mayfield. If he goes down, we're in a world of hurt.
  • Austin Seibert might be the most valuable signee from last year's class. I know it's early, but he's been solid as a rock.
  • I like the resilience of this team, so far. They've had a couple of chances to fold, but they didn't. Tells me we have some good leadership among the players.
  • Really glad to see the demise of the meerkat. I don't think we've been close to a delay or had to burn a timeout because we couldn't get a play in.
  • I still have no idea how good we are.
  • Next Saturday isn't a slam dunk. I hope our players realize that.

Good write up Ver. Still worried about the D. Just don't think we have the talent to hold Baylor under 40. Maybe will have some improvement before Nov. 14. Always thought the lack of experience on the OL would be a big problem. Thanks to Mayfield and the excellent receiver play has not yet been a real hindrance other than Tenn. game. The OL is where we need the most improvement.

Agree with every word. Seibert is a boss. Lots of potential to get better each week but I have no expectations of anything magical this season. I think we are CAPABLE of winning the conference but that has more to do with the competition than as a testament to how good we are at this moment.

The offensive line needs to up their game in both phases. Perine and Mixon have no holes to run through and Mayfield is frequently scrambling early. Brown is going to be a stud but we are weak at the guards.

• Our defense is as good as our corners, and I think they're pretty good when they are both in there and healthy. Tulsa did light us up a bit when Thomas was out but they also just made some plays when our guys were in decent position. That happens, and will happen again against the better teams in the league. Sometimes you just have to slow 'em down long enough for them to stop themselves, especially in the B12.
  • Really concerned about our ability to run the football. I thought we'd have more production from the running backs. The offensive line has got to improve or we'll get outscored 2 or 3 times between now and the end of the year....... if not four times.
  • We might be 2 and 2 without Mayfield. If he goes down, we're in a world of hurt.
  • Austin Seibert might be the most valuable signee from last year's class. I know it's early, but he's been solid as a rock.
  • I like the resilience of this team, so far. They've had a couple of chances to fold, but they didn't. Tells me we have some good leadership among the players.
  • Really glad to see the demise of the meerkat. I don't think we've been close to a delay or had to burn a timeout because we couldn't get a play in.
  • Next Saturday isn't a slam dunk. I hope our players realize that.
I thought that 107 yards rushing with backs like Perine, Mixon, Ross (is he ever going to run the ball ?) and Brooks against West Virginia was cause for concern. I put this mostly on the OL which just has not become solid so far.
Fortunately, OU is able this year to have a deeper, more productive corps of receivers which is enhanced even more by Mayfield's ability to pass and to pass on the run. Clearly, without Mayfield, OU is very likely 2-2 going into the Texas game. It seems that the passing game is carrying the running game until hopefully, the running game stabilizes.
Penalties and sloppy play must be addressed as the season goes on. It seems there is too much raw talent on the team and more of this talent must be developed quickly. Some of the penalties go beyond just failures of fundamentals....some are personal fouls....which are, for the most part, inexcusable. These players need to play under control of their emotions.
Texas will play with great intensity on Saturday. Whether that intensity will spawn an upset is anyone's guess but......an upset win by Texas could go a long way in breathing life back into Strong's program. OU just needs to play well and play focused and to treat this game as important as it historically once was.

Reactions: veritas59

• Next Saturday isn't a slam dunk. I hope our players realize that
I think OUr corners make our defense pretty good. They can play man pretty well and it gives the other guys opportunities to come at the offense from a lot of angles.

I agree about not knowing how good the Sooners are. But unless we start blocking the run better, we're going to have a hard time against the better teams on the schedule. I'm not even sure we will be able to run on Texas, and if we don't, there is going to be a lot of gnashing of teeth around here next Saturday night and Sunday.

I'm not sure if Knight could be a better player than in the past, were something bad to happen to Baker. But I really hope we don't find out.

I think OUr corners make our defense pretty good. They can play man pretty well and it gives the other guys opportunities to come at the offense from a lot of angles.

I agree about not knowing how good the Sooners are. But unless we start blocking the run better, we're going to have a hard time against the better teams on the schedule. I'm not even sure we will be able to run on Texas, and if we don't, there is going to be a lot of gnashing of teeth around here next Saturday night and Sunday.

I'm not sure if Knight could be a better player than in the past, were something bad to happen to Baker. But I really hope we don't find out.
A better pass rush would go a long way in helping the secondary.
I expect Heard to make some big plays with his running ability. If OU can contain his running it will be in good shape.

I suspect both quarterbacks will have a little overage of adrenaline coping that they'll have to deal with Saturday, but we'd expect Mayfield to handle it better.

I know it seems preposterous, but I genuinely think Texas has a chance Saturday. And the more Sooner players understand that, the less likely it might be to happen. Surely, they learned enough last year to not take this for granted.

I thought that Saturday that they'd have at least hung in there for a while. But once they had their third straight week of a major special teams screw up, the roof kind of fell in. Squash em early and it might be sort of easy. But give this guys a little hope, and we'll have a dog fight on our hands.

OU is the only top ten team in the country, who had their OLine get whipped badly last Saturday. We couldn't even block Tulsa on first and goal from the ONE. I'm just glad that Tulsa's HC isn't in Austin.

Reactions: BillyRay
Samaje Perine - (if I count correctly) - 16 carries for 65 yards, 4.06 yd avg, median run 3yds
Joe Mixon - 6 carries for 43 yards, 7.16 yd avg, median run 2yds

Samaje was moderately successful in limited carries; a 3yd median is pretty good. Had it not been for the delay of game penalty on the final drive, they would have probably run the clock out on Perine carries when the defense knew what was coming.

I don't know if the running game is bad because of the OLine or if it's just because there isn't commitment. 22 carries between 2 guys is far from commitment.

Samaje Perine - (if I count correctly) - 16 carries for 65 yards, 4.06 yd avg, median run 3yds
Joe Mixon - 6 carries for 43 yards, 7.16 yd avg, median run 2yds

Samaje was moderately successful in limited carries; a 3yd median is pretty good. Had it not been for the delay of game penalty on the final drive, they would have probably run the clock out on Perine carries when the defense knew what was coming.

I don't know if the running game is bad because of the OLine or if it's just because there isn't commitment. 22 carries between 2 guys is far from commitment.
Agree JCon. Perine, Mixon, Ross and Brooks makes up a decent corps of running backs.....but unless the offensive line improves, OU's running game will be average at best.

OU is the only top ten team in the country, who had their OLine get whipped badly last Saturday. We couldn't even block Tulsa on first and goal from the ONE. [/QUOTE]

Exactly..... which is why I remain reserved. The question is; Can it be fixed?

Reactions: SoonersR4Real
OU is the only top ten team in the country, who had their OLine get whipped badly last Saturday. We couldn't even block Tulsa on first and goal from the ONE.

Exactly..... which is why I remain reserved. The question is; Can it be fixed?[/QUOTE]

Well, in our most remote defense...Tulsa is a hell of a lot better team than Texas...just saying.:D

One thing about it was that TCU blew the socks off Texas in the first quarter. If UT comes out slow again, we need to absolutely put the pedal to the metal and score often, early, and continue to pour it on. We nearly had a 31-7 lead against Tulsa, had some turnovers and had a battle. We nearly rolled up WVU early and had mistakes that let them back in the game. We should not fiddle around with Texas, if we can get ahead early!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT