ADVERTISEMENT

Forty-nine years ago today, my heart was broken. The GOTC

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
November 25, 1971. The GOTC.

There are maybe 60-70 dates that cause an immediate association. Family birthdates and a few anniversaries.

First love's birthdate.

November 22, 1963.

But l think about Nov 25 with such ambivalence. To be part of it was a source of great pride. But losing at the end ... the hurt lasted several decades.

Every time l see a score of 35-31, even if it's lowa vs Rutgers late 3rd quarter, the memory returns.

Last edited:
Several "if onlys" to OU's loss to one of college football's greatest teams ever in the 1971 Nebraska team.
A game where both winners and losers expressed how great it was to be a part of that epic game.
Personally, to put things in perspective, if November 25th, 1971 is one of the worst days of my life, I'm having a pretty good life anyway.....even with the slight burn in my belly.
OU dominated the 1970's with Nebraska by allowing NU only 3 wins, but the two losses in 1971 and 1978 were brutal.

The game lived up to the hype and it is a game I will never forget. If we had todays playoff format I think both schools would have met again for all the marbles.

Reactions: iasooner1
Still can't believe the officials missed that block in the back on that punt return by Rogers.
On the sidelines, we all saw the clip. In those days, players wore tearaway jerseys and a Nebraska player had his number ripped. It was laying on the ground, not far from where the clip had occurred. We were certain it was coming back.

If you watch a replay of the game again, you might see that OUr PAT defense was very late getting onto the field, because of that. I've told friends that if Nebraska hadn't waited for us, they could have snapped quickly and run it in pretty easily for a two point conversion.

I still believe that Nebraska had our play signals to the offense. I believe it's why we scored so easily just before the half on two passes. Jack decided to throw it deep, when the Huskers were expecting run. Jon Harrison had a great game.

Reactions: iasooner1
I have to admit........I thought this was going to be a “love lost” thread

Even though we lost, I had a great time at that game. 14 years old, my Mom and her friend took me and we sat in the Sun Oil Company seats on the 40 on the west side. Remember the pass for a TD right before half, the lady next to me spilled coffee on my coat. Fantastic memories.

Even though we lost, I had a great time at that game. 14 years old, my Mom and her friend took me and we sat in the Sun Oil Company seats on the 40 on the west side. Remember the pass for a TD right before half, the lady next to me spilled coffee on my coat. Fantastic memories.
i can remember the cloudy coolness of the day...and the excitement building as my dad and his friend walked with me as we neared the stadium. we took our seats on east side 45yd line, bout 30 rows up. perfect! i can see the overthrow by Jack at the end of the game...but most of all i can still hear my dad yelling "Clip! Clip!" as JR sped toward the end zone. as just an 8-yr old i didnt know what he meant but i knew it was bad because my old man only raised his voice for two reasons. when i screwed up, or when the lawnmower wouldn't start.

ADVERTISEMENT