ADVERTISEMENT

Football Power Index Rankings...2017 Season...

OU is generally "overvalued" in preseason polls.
Without Perine, Mixon, Westbrook on offense and losing Evans (the team's best linebacker) and NT Jordan Wade (the Don Key Award winner), 2017 is no exception.....at least on paper.
I believe the 2017 Sooners will evolve as the the season unfolds. The team in late November should be much better than the team the starts the season. There's too much good young talent now and more on the way before August for me to feel differently.
I think Adams will be solid at RB. Mead will have an excellent senior year as he is finally coming into his own. Smallwood is still a work in progress, but I see him being a very good player. The OL line will be solid and will be deeper in depth. Calcaterra and Andrews can be a good hybrid TE/WR combination.
My biggest concern is how quickly the young players can gain traction...actually, it's really my only concern. A win on the road on September 9th will reveal a great deal, win or lose.

Very good analysis CT. I think 2017 could very well be a repeat of 2016. Lofty ratings and expectations, only to get embarrassed by Ohio State early in the season. Team regains their footing and by November, this team will look nothing like the team in September. But by then, OU will have at least one key loss that keeps them out of the CFP.

If OU plays well against Ohio State and loses a close game, it will speak well of the team's strength and what direction the team is headed.
I do not want to see another three touchdown loss. Losses like last year need to be a thing of the past at Oklahoma. I can deal with OU losing 15-20% of its games, but I've seen too many blowout losses since 2003.

If OU plays well against Ohio State and loses a close game, it will speak well of the team's strength and what direction the team is headed.
I do not want to see another three touchdown loss. Losses like last year need to be a thing of the past at Oklahoma. I can deal with OU losing 15-20% of its games, but I've seen too many blowout losses since 2003.

If the Sooners comes out on top at Ohio State, it will likely be OU's best win of the season including even the bowl game, which is saying a lot.

Very good analysis CT. I think 2017 could very well be a repeat of 2016. Lofty ratings and expectations, only to get embarrassed by Ohio State early in the season. Team regains their footing and by November, this team will look nothing like the team in September. But by then, OU will have at least one key loss that keeps them out of the CFP.

Come on Man; keep the faith for Sooner Magic. Only positive vibes served here, Daily !

I'm going to attempt to attend the tOSU game and really hope my work schedule plays out to allow it. I have a weird strange feeling that the Sooners prevail for some reason. But I don't know why. I'm one to believe that the over-valuing of OU has a lot to do playing tOSU very early in the season. Hype it up. Push the envelope to push the ratings. History is not really on OU's side w/ very early big games. But I really want to attend this one and visit the campus of the Buckeyes.

Reactions: iasooner1
We will see. If I don't see an improvement in the defense, I WILL BE VERY DISAPPOINTED. Just saying.

Last edited:
You don't know how much that lame ass luck eye crap pisses us off.
Beware of the basic defense talk, you see how that worked out.
Luck has nothing to do with it,only losers talk that crap. Bye

Easy there Bucknuts, everyone knows ohio state is like a homeless sec team with the fanbase to match. Sorry we don't bow down to them either.

My expectations for tOSU game: don't expect Mike Stoops to have the defense ready early in the season so it's on the shoulders of Lincoln Riley to beat the Eyes. Do expect the defense to be rolling by games 4 and 6 against Baylor and Texas to set up another undefeated big xii season.

My expectations for tOSU game: don't expect Mike Stoops to have the defense ready early in the season so it's on the shoulders of Lincoln Riley to beat the Eyes. Do expect the defense to be rolling by games 4 and 6 against Baylor and Texas to set up another undefeated big xii season.
My second question is: will OU's offense able to move the ball on Ohio State given the loss of three franchise players in Westbrook, Perine and Mixon ? I don't recall so much offensive skill position talent leaving OU during one off season...in view of so much uncertainty of the replacements.
OU looks to be a second half of the season team because of its youth. The team in late October won't resemble the early September team.

My second question is: will OU's offense able to move the ball on Ohio State given the loss of three franchise players in Westbrook, Perine and Mixon ? I don't recall so much offensive skill position talent leaving OU during one off season...in view of so much uncertainty of the replacements.
OU looks to be a second half of the season team because of its youth. The team in late October won't resemble the early September team.
Depends on how much Ohio State lost off defense. I know Ohio State was the least experienced team in Div-1 going into last season. But not sure how much overall they are returning on each side of the ball, or how many they lost to declaring early. If Ohio State is returning alot from that defense OU faced last season, then it could be a long night for Baker and Riley trying to get something going so early in the season with trying to fill those holes.

Whatever Ohio State has or doesn't have this season, every preseason poll has them ranked in the top 5.....and they're playing OU at home. An OU upset win would be epic, but even a defeat from a very close game would be a very big plus for the young OU team.

Whatever Ohio State has or doesn't have this season, every preseason poll has them ranked in the top 5.....and they're playing OU at home. An OU upset win would be epic, but even a defeat from a very close game would be a very big plus for the young OU team.
Ya Ohio State is a preseason Top 5, but at this time last year OU could say the same thing being a Top 5 preseason team and playing Ohio State in Norman. I'm just wondering if Ohio State has lost any key players that may cause them to come out a bit slower than expected while they try to fill those holes.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
They lost a top corner to the draft. I just hope we bring some defense. Gosh, who knows. Mayfield will need to play lights out.

We will see. If I don't see an improvement in the defense, I WILL BE VERY DISAPPOINTED. Just saying.

We still have the worst DC in P5, so don't expect much of a change. Until someone realizes, it all starts upfront, OU defense will suffer.

OU has always had a good or great running game,even with Blake, so I'm not that worried. It's at WR, that truly scares me. Riley is a wing it guy and just came around the last year with the running game. Hopefully, a couple of guys step up and Baker has a few dependable options. Dede seem to sniff out when Baker was scrambling and get open, hopefully someone else will.

I'm not sure of who the replacements will be and how talented & ready they'll be, but from what I understand, they've lost some on the back seven.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT