ADVERTISEMENT

First scrimmage is over

Carey Murdock

Sooner starter
Staff
Dec 6, 2001
Norman, OK
www.soonerscoop.com
As always I wish I had more to give you but am told OU is being very protective this year. With new QB, I think Lincoln knows surprise has some value in it, especially with a first game against a decent opponent.

*The overall tone of the scrimmage I am told was that the defense was better than the offense. But it sounds like there weren't a ton of plays on either side of the ball.

I asked about interceptions, big plays, big runs...

*Told interceptions came late in the scrimmage with 3rd team guys.

*Told Rodney Anderson was the big play guy in the running game today.

*Was told CeeDee Lamb was the best receiver on the field today.

Obviously there was some concern about Neville Gallimore and his start to fall camp when he started out in a boot. He's been back out to practices and he was the first name that one source came up with when I asked about standouts on the defensive side of the ball.

* Kenneth Murray was singled out too as been the heartbeat of this defense.

* I asked about Caleb Kelly and how he looked, just was told he played but no one noticed him separating himself with big plays.

* Offensive line is still figuring it out up front. Was told they are not playing as a unit and look ugly at times.

* Overall I was told that it was super competitive between the offense and defense.

* Finally, I asked one of my sources who he would start after watching both QBs today. His answer?

He'd play both of them.

Sorry I don't have more to report than that. It was a really early scrimmage to avoid the rain and it ended shortly after 10am. Wish I had more individual play to tell you about, but it really sounded like it was a pretty drab scrimmage to watch. Not a lot of flashes on either side.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.