ADVERTISEMENT

Elvis Peacock.......Link

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
I'm sitting on my front porch here in the country drinking some java. Someone dumped some Peacocks out on my country road. Damn they can make some noise. It just got me to thinking about a great running back that never gets mentioned when we bring up a top ten of running backs. Elvis was one of Barry's greatest recruits. Here's a link to the story......

http://newsok.com/article/3773096

Last edited:
Peacock's game against Nebraska in 1976, in the game's final minutes, is one of the best examples of Sooner Magic.
OU trailed 17-13. From the 16 yard line Steve Rhodes made a difficult catch for 50 yards to get OU into Nebraska territory. Two plays later, Rhodes ran a hook-and-lateral route....catching a short pass, then pitching the ball back to Peacock....who ran to Nebraska's three yard line. With 30 seconds left in the game, Peacock scored on an end run to win the game 20-17.

Peacock's game against Nebraska in 1976, in the game's final minutes, is one of the best examples of Sooner Magic.
OU trailed 17-13. From the 16 yard line Steve Rhodes made a difficult catch for 50 yards to get OU into Nebraska territory. Two plays later, Rhodes ran a hook-and-lateral route....catching a short pass, then pitching the ball back to Peacock....who ran to Nebraska's three yard line. With 30 seconds left in the game, Peacock scored on an end run to win the game 20-17.

How do guy's remember all this stuff? I did after you posted it, but my goodness you have a memory. I have to use the web..............:(

How do guy's remember all this stuff? I did after you posted it, but my goodness you have a memory. I have to use the web..............:(
It's because outside of Oklahoma football, my life is shallow and meaningless. Therefore my entire existence is centered around OU football starting with my attending the 1958 OU-Texas game, when Prentice Gautt was my favorite Sooner player....and still is.
I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning, or if I even had breakfast....but I know a lot of OU history. Plaino does too, and he has had access to a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff that I was not aware of.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
That play is not just an example of Sooner Magic it is the origin of the phrase. Blevins also was the QB who's pass to Rhodes set up the game winning FG vs TOSU.

Okay, it's kind of slow, so I'm going to expand the thread. Tell me what team and year it was when Greg Pruitt ran the last ten or so yards "Backwards"? Was it Southern Cal? I was in the South end zone when it happened, but my memory fails me......Calling the Doctor today.....Don't want to go the Glen Campbell route.............

Okay, it's kind of slow, so I'm going to expand the thread. Tell me what team and year it was when Greg Pruitt ran the last ten or so yards "Backwards"? Was it Southern Cal? I was in the South end zone when it happened, but my memory fails me......Calling the Doctor today.....Don't want to go the Glen Campbell route.............
I recall it was against USC as OU won 33-20.
Thomas Lott did the same thing against Stanford in 1978....OU winning 35-29.

I have a very similar answer. I just remember stuff. If anything, the internet helps with the editing, because I'll post something I'm almost certain about, and have some guy correct me with video evidence. That does happen more often with recent events a lot more than the old days.

When I was a kid, sports was not just my passion. It was all I thought about. My favorite all time MLB team was the 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates, who beat the Yankees in the Series despite being doubled in total runs in the seven games. The Yankees' three wins were 16-3, 12-0 and 10-0. The Pirates won the other four games, because they had a 5'9 "closer" who could get the Yankees out. He was also the set up man. He pitched at least two innings in the first three wins.

I can tell you the starting lineup against lefties and righties, and their JERSEY numbers. I couldn't tell you that for any team from last season, including my favorite team in any sport. Even the Sooners. But I can tell you stuff from 56 years ago. I don't know why but it's true.

I can also tell you the Heisman winners from the 60's. and likely the bookend decades. The WS winners in every years and some details about each Series. It's not because I looked it up. I remember watching the ninth inning of game 7 in 1962 at the Tulsa State Fair. Yankees up a run. I think 2-1, but not positive. Mattie Alou drag bunt. WIllie Mays double and with two outs, Willie McCovey hit a screamer that 25 inches up, right or left wins the series, but right at Bobby Richardson and the Yankees are World Champs. An oh yeah, Ralph Terry stayed in for nine. No closer for Ralph Houk. Terry was from Oklahoma. Chelsea I think.

It's just weird, but it's still there. Mike McClellan's long run against a good Army team on tv, rare back then. The play was a no huddle swinging gate. Around 60 yards I think. He also scored on a long trick play in a conference win. KState I've been re-told. It was a statue of liberty on a fake quick kick. Bud liked to quick kick. The Sooners started that season 0-5 but won the last five to get to 5-5. They only played ten games in those days. And you had to be a whole lot better than .500 to get to a bowl game. I did us Sooner stats for this, but only to verify how to spell McClellan. I thought there might be a D at the end.

I can remember the 10:00 Sunday evening sportscast when I learned that the Rams had ended the 47 game touchdown pass streak of Johnny Unitas, my favorite player. There were no details, but the score was 10-3 or 13-3, so I knew Johnny U hadn't thrown a td pass.

I can't tell you how or why I remember that and a whole whole whole lot more. But I do.

The 1961 Army game at Yankee Stadium which I attended was won by Mike McClellen's 75 yard run on a play run without a huddle as OU's coaches noticed Army's defense huddling up after every play. OU ran a short dive play then quickly lined up and sent a long lateral out to the left to McClellen who ran untouched for the game's first score. Army's defenders could not deploy in time.

The 1960 Series was to me the greatest upset in Series history and will always remembered for mainly its 7th game alone.
Casey Stengel strangely held Whitey Ford back until game 3, thus preventing Ford from having three starts, which would have had him starting game 7. Ford pitched complete game shutouts in games 3 and 6 and it can be debated whether he could have pitched an inning or two in game 7.
Anyway, Stengel lost his job over this, even after taking the team to 7 championships in ten years.

There was a thread last year asking everyone's favorite Sooner Magic moment and I posted just about the same summary as you, CT. There have been many Sooner Magic moments but this is still my favorite of all time. Whenever someone mentions Elvis Peacock, this series is the first thing that comes to mind. This was back in the day when we didn't get to see every game during the season so perhaps getting to watch this great comeback as it was taking place is the reason it's so special for me. I was living in Houston at the time.

Last edited:
I have a very similar answer. I just remember stuff. If anything, the internet helps with the editing, because I'll post something I'm almost certain about, and have some guy correct me with video evidence. That does happen more often with recent events a lot more than the old days.

When I was a kid, sports was not just my passion. It was all I thought about. My favorite all time MLB team was the 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates, who beat the Yankees in the Series despite being doubled in total runs in the seven games. The Yankees' three wins were 16-3, 12-0 and 10-0. The Pirates won the other four games, because they had a 5'9 "closer" who could get the Yankees out. He was also the set up man. He pitched at least two innings in the first three wins.

I can tell you the starting lineup against lefties and righties, and their JERSEY numbers. I couldn't tell you that for any team from last season, including my favorite team in any sport. Even the Sooners. But I can tell you stuff from 56 years ago. I don't know why but it's true.

I can also tell you the Heisman winners from the 60's. and likely the bookend decades. The WS winners in every years and some details about each Series. It's not because I looked it up. I remember watching the ninth inning of game 7 in 1962 at the Tulsa State Fair. Yankees up a run. I think 2-1, but not positive. Mattie Alou drag bunt. WIllie Mays double and with two outs, Willie McCovey hit a screamer that 25 inches up, right or left wins the series, but right at Bobby Richardson and the Yankees are World Champs. An oh yeah, Ralph Terry stayed in for nine. No closer for Ralph Houk. Terry was from Oklahoma. Chelsea I think.

It's just weird, but it's still there. Mike McClellan's long run against a good Army team on tv, rare back then. The play was a no huddle swinging gate. Around 60 yards I think. He also scored on a long trick play in a conference win. KState I've been re-told. It was a statue of liberty on a fake quick kick. Bud liked to quick kick. The Sooners started that season 0-5 but won the last five to get to 5-5. They only played ten games in those days. And you had to be a whole lot better than .500 to get to a bowl game. I did us Sooner stats for this, but only to verify how to spell McClellan. I thought there might be a D at the end.

I can remember the 10:00 Sunday evening sportscast when I learned that the Rams had ended the 47 game touchdown pass streak of Johnny Unitas, my favorite player. There were no details, but the score was 10-3 or 13-3, so I knew Johnny U hadn't thrown a td pass.

I can't tell you how or why I remember that and a whole whole whole lot more. But I do.
I've got one from the "You're not going to believe this because I sure as heck didn't & I'm the one she told it to" File:

Me & the Mrs. home addy is in Hutch, but she actually works in Larned (has an apt. there & comes back here on her days off). A month or so ago, she calls to tell me good night, but she had a little unexpected bonus this particular night. Come to find out (thanks to another employee pointing it out; my wife isn't the biggest baseball historian, lol ), that day she, in this little hole in the wall town of about 4,000-ish, met none other than one Mrs. Ralph Terry. They've lived there for a good while now, & even at 80, she said he's still quite the golfer & goes out just about every day. I've been just about standing on my head (I'm a huge Yankee fan) dying to meet him ever since. That's one guy that I think I could just sit back & listen to as many stories as he'd care to tell.

I once met Warren Spahn at a turkey shoot. Bill Russell was also there. I'm guessing 20 others when my brother-in-law and I stopped to see what was happening. I knew who he was from my old baseball cards. He also managed the local Tulsa minor league at the time.

Well here's the story and I've told it before. Calvin, my brother in law, had just purchased a new pump shotgun and entered the contest which he lost. Warren won.

Both Calvin and I had blood all over all clothes as we were just getting back from hunting rabbits and gutting them. We probably had 30 or 40 rabbits in the back of my pick up. Warren and others wanted to know exactly where we killed them. He was from Hartshorne at the time and we killed them just north of him. He gave me his phone number so he could go the next time we went. I often wonder why I didn't keep it.

BTW, No baseball was ever discussed even though I called him Warren without being introduced. Just hunting.

And yes, we probably took way over the limit that day, but we ate them.......:)

Another baseball story and yes when you live until 63 you have stories...

I once used to visit a bar called "Jimmy L's. It was famous for it's shuffleboard, but has turned into a mexican tire shop.

I met Gene Shell, a former Tulsa University Baseball Coach. He kind of reminded me of Billy Martin.

Here's the story: After a few beers we decided I would go with him to spring practice in Florida. He told me he had all kind of connections to any team we wanted to visit. I made my plans and had the bucks but my ex threw a fit. I had to call him and back out. He called me every name in the book, the main one wussy whipped. I should have went..............LOL

Another baseball story...........

I once worked for a guy named Herb Penny. I was friends with his son. He called me one day to come watch his son play in little league. I blew it off. His son later became a major league pitcher for the Marlins...Dwayne Penny ..................

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT