ADVERTISEMENT

Edit: Bills safety in critical condition after collapsing on the field after an ordinary looking tackle.

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
He got up after making a tackle, then fell down and they've taken three breaks and players are crying on the sideline.

They are administering CPR on the field. Now more than ten minutes since it happened.

They have suspended the game and the players have returned to their locker room. They haven't announced anything but they have this game which has been called the best regular season game of the year, and it may be canceled.

He got up after making a tackle, then fell down and they've taken three breaks and players are crying on the sideline.

They are administering CPR on the field. Now more than ten minutes since it happened.
Probably a heart attack. There have been numerous cases of soccer players having one during a game. Hamlin got up from the tackle, took a step back, then a total collapse without trying to break his fall. It was a good tackle no helmet to helmet. Praying for him.

A tragic situation but your post title was dead on: it looked like an ordinary tackle.

Really hard to comprehend…

Reactions: iasooner2000
The tackle may have not had anything to do with his heart issue. Things like this can just happen suddenly. One minute a person is just fine and suddenly they have cardiac arrhythmia.

Reactions: iasooner2000
This Dr. explains what could have happened. While not a viscious hit he did get hit in the chest pretty hard.

This Dr. explains what could have happened. While not a viscious hit he did get hit in the chest pretty hard.
I realize a hard thump to the chest could do that, I just don't feel like that is what happened at all. Tough to speculate from a short video, however. When you make a tackle, you brace yourself for the impact. For a thump to do that, I would imagine it would have to be a scenario in which the impact was greater than the player expected or he was unable to protect the area. If this were the case, I would presume that we would have seen at the very least multiple tackles result in similar issues in our lifetime. Of all the tackles made and all the players that get tackled over the course of a season & multiply that times 45. That is just in the NFL. Add college to that...what are the odds really?

Last edited:
I realize a hard thump to the chest could do that, I just don't feel like that is what happened at all. Tough to speculate from a short video, however. When you make a tackle, you brace yourself for the impact. For a thump to do that, I would imagine it would have to be a scenario in which the impact was greater than the player expected or he was unable to protect the area. If this were the case, I would presume that we would have seen at the very least multiple tackles result in similar issues in our lifetime. Of all the tackles made and all the players that get tackled over the course of a season & multiply that times 45. That is just in the NFL. Add college to that...what are the odds really?

Yeah everyone is speculating, I just saw that video I posted a few hrs after the incident and thought it was interesting. It could be a multitude of things. We will all know soon I am sure.

Reactions: tansoonerfan
ADVERTISEMENT