ADVERTISEMENT

draft

OUnabomber

Sooner signee
Jul 16, 2017
Montana
I'll never understand why some of these guys decide to enter the draft essentially ending their football careers. We have only had 2 guys selected in the first 3 rounds. Is it really worth declaring early if you are not even going to be drafted or drafted this late? I think Perkins could have improved his position by coming back and I doubt Tre Brown even gets drafted.

Reactions: Belldozer1
It's about NFL money, gaining a higher and extended level celebrity image and avoiding a career-ending injury in college that would jeopardize a pro career.
College football has evolved into being a free "farm system" for the NFL and players and coaches are aware of this.
Less than 2% of D-1 college football players get into the NFL, but if a player is rated draft worthy, even as a late round pick, he's might jump at the chance to play on Sundays. Tre Norwood might be a good example of this

Reactions: iasooner2000
It's about NFL money, gaining a higher and extended level celebrity image and avoiding a career-ending injury in college that would jeopardize a pro career.
College football has evolved into being a free "farm system" for the NFL and players and coaches are aware of this.
Less than 2% of D-1 college football players get into the NFL, but if a player is rated draft worthy, even as a late round pick, he's might jump at the chance to play on Sundays. Tre Norwood might be a good example of this

I would say the risk of a career ending injury is very low and the payoff of playing another year would be worth it. Some of these guys probably won't even get drafted or make a team. I think there is also the factor of most of them being told they are much better than what they are

Looks like Ealy and Norwood have hit the end of the road. Could have used one of them to stay to be honest. Draft was a real snoozer !!

I would say the risk of a career ending injury is very low and the payoff of playing another year would be worth it. Some of these guys probably won't even get drafted or make a team. I think there is also the factor of most of them being told they are much better than what they are
Unfortunately, it doesn't cost an agent anything if a client declares for the draft and then goes undrafted. If a particular agent can get 20 or 30 kids to declare and 5 of them get drafted, that is 5 paying clients for him. So, he tells them they are draft quality. Getting fired by a non-drafted player has no affect on an unscrupulous agent.

Looks like Ealy and Norwood have hit the end of the road. Could have used one of them to stay to be honest. Draft was a real snoozer !!
well Norwood did get picked up late......I'd say the chances of him making the team are slim. Should have stayed at OU with a chance at a NC. Oh well hope he has a backup plan

The risk is low but players still leave early or step away from playing in a bowl game partly for that reason.

The risk is low but players still leave early or step away from playing in a bowl game partly for that reason.
Oh I know they do. I'm just saying the risk is low. I think most of these guys that leave early could actually benefit from an extra season because many of them are marginal draftees taken in the later rounds. I guess some of them could also be on the dumb side and are tired of dealing with the academic side of school.

I'm not sure, but I think both Ealy and Norwood already had their degree. They come play football in college less to win an college but more to have their education paid for and to maybe get to the NFL. Both will get a chance to play in the NFL.

I'll never understand why some of these guys decide to enter the draft essentially ending their football careers. We have only had 2 guys selected in the first 3 rounds. Is it really worth declaring early if you are not even going to be drafted or drafted this late? I think Perkins could have improved his position by coming back and I doubt Tre Brown even gets drafted.
Agents will tell anyone what they want to hear. They get in these kids ears. We all know a kid is a 5th round pick - everyone knows it, even his mama. The agent tells him he's a first rounder and risking his life playing college another year with no income or insurance.

The kid gets drafted in the 5th round like we all knew.

The agent doesn't care. The agent got paid and bought birthday presents for his kid.

Kamakaze!

Ealy wasn't ready. Perkins could have been a first rounder next year.

Norwood, Brown, Stevenson and Humphrey had nothing more, career wise, to gain from returning.
I guess I don't understand the mindset of these kids. They would rather come out early, maybe get drafted late and possibly not even make a team, than come back and have a real chance to win a national championship at the University of Oklahoma. Does a NC not mean as much to them as it used to?

I guess I don't understand the mindset of these kids. They would rather come out early, maybe get drafted late and possibly not even make a team, than come back and have a real chance to win a national championship at the University of Oklahoma. Does a NC not mean as much to them as it used to?
Gotta remember, we ain't bama. Not yet anyway. 😁

May I offer my two cents worth here? Most, if not all, of us here are devout Sooner fans for many years. Dedicated to the football program for years and years. I have met many ex-OU Sooner football players from just about all eras. If a player was born and raised a Sooner whether he be from Oklahoma or Texas or California, he is entrenched in the program for life. If a player was recruited and decided on OU in the 11th hour then his allegiance seems less than 100%. This guy will jump to the NFL without a minute's consideration to another year in Norman. Granted, some have nothing more to achieve and some have personal issues that compels them to reach for money without understanding the financial dynamics of 12 more months. It's simple. Ask a guy if he wants $700,000 this year or maybe, $1 million next year.

May I offer my two cents worth here? Most, if not all, of us here are devout Sooner fans for many years. Dedicated to the football program for years and years. I have met many ex-OU Sooner football players from just about all eras. If a player was born and raised a Sooner whether he be from Oklahoma or Texas or California, he is entrenched in the program for life. If a player was recruited and decided on OU in the 11th hour then his allegiance seems less than 100%. This guy will jump to the NFL without a minute's consideration to another year in Norman. Granted, some have nothing more to achieve and some have personal issues that compels them to reach for money without understanding the financial dynamics of 12 more months. It's simple. Ask a guy if he wants $700,000 this year or maybe, $1 million next year.
I guess I was mainly speaking of the marginal players that could very well not get drafted and never make a penny in the NFL. I understand your point about a lot of these kids only seeing OU as a short term vehicle to the NFL. Maybe that is part of the reason why we haven't won a NC in 20 years? Too many players don't buy into the vision of OU football.

We, meaning the posters of this board enjoy College football, specifically Sooner football. It's different for the players. I'd be willing to bet that less than 10% of the players on the current roster did not have aspirations of becoming a member of the Sooner football team. They grew up thinking of playing in the NFL. That was their goal. Their dream. For some that dream does come true. Through all their work, their sacrifices, their practices, their lifting, their attempts to become better each season, and even each month. The dream is to play in the NFL. Yes, some allow that strong dream to cloud their minds and a few might have improved their draft status but in the main unless you're a sure bet for a top 40 pick, you go when you can.

As far as why OU hasn't won a NC, it's talent. Just look at this year's draft. We didn't have top draft picks. Wenhad enough to keep us interested and keep the Sooners hanging around, but talent wins NCs. And we just haven't had it in quite some time. I do think we are getting closer each year though. Last year's class is going to turn heads this season, and the current recruiting cycle has some of the most talented HS players in the nation taking a look at OU.

We, meaning the posters of this board enjoy College football, specifically Sooner football. It's different for the players. I'd be willing to bet that less than 10% of the players on the current roster did not have aspirations of becoming a member of the Sooner football team. They grew up thinking of playing in the NFL. That was their goal. Their dream. For some that dream does come true. Through all their work, their sacrifices, their practices, their lifting, their attempts to become better each season, and even each month. The dream is to play in the NFL. Yes, some allow that strong dream to cloud their minds and a few might have improved their draft status but in the main unless you're a sure bet for a top 40 pick, you go when you can.

As far as why OU hasn't won a NC, it's talent. Just look at this year's draft. We didn't have top draft picks. Wenhad enough to keep us interested and keep the Sooners hanging around, but talent wins NCs. And we just haven't had it in quite some time. I do think we are getting closer each year though. Last year's class is going to turn heads this season, and the current recruiting cycle has some of the most talented HS players in the nation taking a look at OU.
I personally think if Rattler plays up to his potential then we have enough overall talent to compete for a NC. I guess that is why I can't understand why some of these guys wouldn't come back for one more season to probably improve their stock and also get a championship. Maybe they were afraid they wouldn't see the field nearly as much? Who knows.

I personally think if Rattler plays up to his potential then we have enough overall talent to compete for a NC. I guess that is why I can't understand why some of these guys wouldn't come back for one more season to probably improve their stock and also get a championship. Maybe they were afraid they wouldn't see the field nearly as much? Who knows.
For some unexplained reason I believe we will see many new "starters" when OU takes the field this year. The increase in talent is obvious to the point that it may sweep over upper class men out of the starting gates.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT