ADVERTISEMENT

Downfall of the Defense…Years in the Making

Rashadsee

Walk-on candidate
Gold Member
Dec 25, 2017
@Josh_M
@Carey Murdock

As I dissect the numerous reasons that the defense has struggled, I begin to realize that it’s not one issue but numerous that have to come together to create this perfect storm of poor play on the defensive side of the ball. I feel like to get a true understanding of how this happen you must look back at the recent history of OU defense to see that there was a significant change in the defensive’s approach that has help create the dilemma that we have today. The two major culprits that have come together to create this horrid abomination is a lack of recruiting and the change in scheme that OU decided to incorporate.

As you look at the recent history of OU’s defense you will find that prior to the 2012 season, the OU defense was centered around having a strong Inside Linebacker and a versatile safety that could in space or near the line of scrimmage. When the defense was better it was usually due to having more experience or explosive guys in those roles. As many of you can remember the likes of Travis Lewis, Frank Shannon, Corey Nelson as well as Tony Jefferson, Gabe Lynn and Steven Parker. The 2013 season caused OU to make a change that fit the personnel at the time and that included addition of what was known as the JACK linebacker and this guy was one of our favorite sooners, Eric Striker. He would be followed by Obo Okoronkwo and they would terrorize QBs in the big 12 for 5 years. With this change of focus there needed to be a change in approach in areas of recruiting and development that never took place.

Recruiting…...or lack there of

Just to be frank after doing a deep dive into the recruiting classes since 2011, I found what I believe many of you will realize based on the production of this 2018 defensive group and that is outside of Striker and Obo, we have been unable to recruit anyone who could play that JACK position at a high level. If you are going to change the makeup of your defense and center the success around a specific position, then you must recruit in high numbers to that position and hit on some of those recruits. Since 2013, you have only recruited 10 outside linebackers with 2 coming in this season and 1 being Obo in 2013. You have the likes of Devante Bond, Arthur McGinnis, Caleb Kelley, Ricky DeBerry, Mark Jackson, K’Jayre Daley, Addison Gumbs, Jalen Redmond and Nikkolas Bonitto. In terms of Devante Bond and Caleb Kelley, I don’t believe that they were recruited to play the JACK and that is demonstrated by how they were used throughout their careers. The two kids that just have come in could not have been depended on to be your best pass rushers and we all know the unfortunate story of Jalen Redmond in 2018. Here is the truth, in 5 years OU was only able to sign 6 recruits to play the JACK position and they include Obo, Mark Jackson, Ricky DeBerry, K’Jayre Daley, Addison Gumbs and Arthur McGinnis. Five of the six guys have not panned out and 2 has already transferred (Gumbs and DeBerry) while another has changed position (McGinnis), one is buried on the depth chart (Daley) and the other plays in a limited part time role at the position (Jackson). The position has deteriorated to the point that inside linebackers (JMT) had to be moved to the JACK role so that there would be some depth at the position. What all this means to me is OU has done a poor job evaluating recruits for this position and an even worse job of developing the position while also no emphasizing the recruitment of numbers at this position.

Scheme….?????

With the change of the scheme OU had become more predictable in its pressure package. Whereas before the blitz package would come from many different angles, once the JACK role was created all creativity disappeared. Striker and Obo were responsible for creating pressure for the OU defense. Striker did have the good fortune of having Charles Tapper opposite of him, Obo was not so lucky. What the brain trust of OU failed to realize is that when defenses that play the 3-4 are truly effective, they have pass rushing combos on both sides like Greg Lloyd/Kevin Greene, Lawrence Taylor/Carl Banks and Pat Swilling/Rickey Jackson. Fundamentally, the creativity didn’t have to be non-existent because of the style of defense and I believe that this scheme also created an environment where poor defensive back play could be covered up because pressure was only coming from one position therefore you saw few corner/safety blitzes. The poor scheme made the defensive lineman play a passive role as pluggers inside so now that you don’t have an elite pass rusher on the edge, it is difficult to change the mindset of your interior players to get more aggressive after years of a lack of development. Basically, the scheme has robbed you of creativity and aggressiveness by putting an immense amount of pressure on one position to be extremely productive and that role has been sorely underdeveloped over the last 5 years which has led to what we are now seeing on the field today.

Possible Answers for NOW

There are a few players that have not be used to best benefit the defense that could be an answer in the interim that may allow the defense to play better in the short term. I would move Curtis Bolton to the JACK position as he has shown a knack to get pressure on the passer as well as insert Jon Michael Terry, DaShaun White or Levi Draper in at the Will linebacker role which will allow for there to be more speed on the field by having 4 linebackers on the field in the base package. Kenneth Mann would also return to his role as a situational pass rusher rather than a starter up front so that there would be more depth upfront. Lastly, I would continue to send at least 5 pass rushers on about 75% of the plays that are run against the defense as well as use stunts, games and twists up front to create pressure.

Your thoughts gentlemen, please......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.