ADVERTISEMENT

Don't think I've seen anything like that

frou

Sooner starter
May 29, 2001
Trying to recall all the great "Sooner Magic" type moments and comebacks,, but I'm not sure I've seen anything like that one last night at Baylor.

A lot of Sooner Magic moments are one play, one drive, one catch, one defensive moment, but last night was a full half of it!!

The defense rose to the occasion in the 2nd half and the offense kept plugging away minus the turnovers.

I've seen a lot of "Magic" moments but never a full half of it,,,,,maybe the 2000 game against Florida State but whatever,,,,it was rare and it was awesome for this old Sooner fan.

My first personal experience with Sooner Magic was the 90 yard pass from Hammond to Rentzel against Maryland in the 1964 opener at Maryland. Trailing 3-0 with ten minutes left, Hammond rolled right and threw a long pass to Rentzel who had to slow down to catch it, but somehow outran Maryland's very slow secondary. That made it 6-3 and OU added a touchdown later following Voiles' pick deep in Maryland territory. Final score was 13-3.
That was Gomer Jones' first game as head coach that started a very forgettable 1964 season that featured an upset win over Nebraska as the lone high point. Jones was replaced by Jim Mackenzie that winter.

Reactions: iasooner1
Actually CT is was the next year. After the 3-7 disaster in '65 and the loss to OSU. But you were right about the '64 season. Was at the game in Lawrence. KU won on a two point conversion after time expired.

My first personal experience with Sooner Magic was the 90 yard pass from Hammond to Rentzel against Maryland in the 1964 opener at Maryland. Trailing 3-0 with ten minutes left, Hammond rolled right and threw a long pass to Rentzel who had to slow down to catch it, but somehow outran Maryland's very slow secondary. That made it 6-3 and OU added a touchdown later following Voiles' pick deep in Maryland territory. Final score was 13-3.
That was Gomer Jones' first game as head coach that started a very forgettable 1964 season that featured an upset win over Nebraska as the lone high point. Jones was replaced by Jim Mackenzie that winter.
Actually, the one point win over Nebraska was in MacKenzie's year, 1966. We won the first four. Then Granville got hurt against ND and we were 5-3 facing the Huskers in Norman and won 10-9. It was the soph year for Hinton and Warmack. Then after upsetting the undefeated Huskers, we lost in Stillwater, a week later.

'65 was the year that got Gomer fired. 3-7. The three wins were against 2-8 Kansas, 0-10 K-State and a 5-4-1 Iowa State team. We got shut out four times and only scored double digits four times. OSU beat us for the first time since 1945 and the first time ever as a conference opponent. That was Ok A&M's "national championship."

'64 was Gomer's first year. Started poorly, 1-3 including a Game2 blowout loss to USC in Norman, 40-14. Then the seventh straight loss in the RRR, including the third in four years by the score of 28-7. Then came the previously mentioned 15-14 loss in Lawrence, when Gayle Sayers scored on the opening kickoff and then KU scored on the final play when their soph quarterback caught a 26-yard td pass, thrown back to him by their running back. They ran a reverse for the two pointer to win it.

OU got it together, and won five of the next six, and tied the other. So 6-3-1 heading to play a newly energized Florida St. passing game headed by qb Steve Tensi and a future Hall of Fame receiver, Fred Biletinikoff. And of course the big Sooner headline, during the time of NFL future draft picks, during the time of the AFL-NFL bidding wars, was four top Sooner players, Jim Grisham, Lance Rentzel, Wes Skidgel and Ralph Neely, getting kicked off the team before the game, because Gomer found out they'd signed pro contracts already. So had Tensi and Biletnikoff, but they faked a post game signing ceremony under the goal posts after the game, after smoking the Sooners 36-19. About the lone Sooner highlight, was when seldom used reserve qb Ron Fletcher hit Ben Hart for a 95-yard TD pass, which is still the school record for the longest pass play in school history by five yards.

But I think most alums and those around the program thought Gomer should have done what FSU did. It's part of why the next season was his last.

Last edited:
I used to be a stringer for a couple of small newspapers in Plano and then for the DMN and the FW Star-Telegram. In 1977, l was in the Texas Stadium press box, the night when Plano came from down 28-0 with less than 20 minutes left in the game, to win 29-28 in an all timer quarter final game, during a time when points were a lot harder to come by. It's often considered one of the top ten HS games in the history of the state. I knew it could happen Saturday night. Not that it would, that that it could.

I have a new girl friend. Took her to Waco for the game. She's not a big college football fan, but since she's been in Texas most of her life, she'd be an LH fan if she were. I'm working to change that. She also had lots of family who went to Baylor so she came to the game, not of sure of who she'd be pulling for.

At the half, l was obviously a little discouraged, but l knew we could pull it off. We'd deferred and were getting the ball. I told her before the 3rd quarter started, that she had a chance to see Sooner history. ..... that we could do this. Four Sooner fans were a row behind us in 322. Maybe five or six. After every OU possession she started to smile inside when l screamed at the guys behind us from Tulsa, "We just gotta get a stop."

I didn't even see the fumble until we got back to Plano. Their video board replayed every play of the game, except maybe that fumble recovery for OUr first official turnover since September.. The guys in front of me stood up when their rb broke the los, and at 68, l'm a little slow to get up. But l heard the commotion.

If we make the CFP, that will be the biggest play of the season. Even though Jalen fumbled on OUr subsequent possession. The defense played different the rest of the game. We can hope, the rest of the season.

I was projecting five years for her conversion to crimson and cream. After Saturday night, l'm thinking less than two. Sunday night, she watched the whole replay with me, and was as pumped as we both were after the game.

And she saw what Sooner Magic is, first time out.

I grew up in Tulsa with John Hammond. His older brother is my best friend. John lives 8n Tulsa and is a retired Veterinarian. He was also a star on Tulsa Central's state championship basketball team. My best in person comeback was Tennessee in 2015.

I don't know if l'd consider Boo's two best wins, Syracuse and Texas to be Sooner Magic. But maybe it had to be, to beat UT's conference champs with an 0-4 team, or future All Pro Donovan McNabb.

But especially during a time when the winning percentage was under .400, it took something beyond normal to win. And there were some special positives that happened both days.

Actually, the one point win over Nebraska was in MacKenzie's year, 1966. We won the first four. Then Granville got hurt against ND and we were 5-3 facing the Huskers in Norman and won 10-9. It was the soph year for Hinton and Warmack. Then after upsetting the undefeated Huskers, we lost in Stillwater, a week later.

'65 was the year that got Gomer fired. 3-7. The three wins were against 2-8 Kansas, 0-10 K-State and a 5-4-1 Iowa State team. We got shut out four times and only scored double digits four times. OSU beat us for the first time since 1945 and the first time ever as a conference opponent. That was Ok A&M's "national championship."

'64 was Gomer's first year. Started poorly, 1-3 including a Game2 blowout loss to USC in Norman, 40-14. Then the seventh straight loss in the RRR, including the third in four years by the score of 28-7. Then came the previously mentioned 15-14 loss in Lawrence, when Gayle Sayers scored on the opening kickoff and then KU scored on the final play when their soph quarterback caught a 26-yard td pass, thrown back to him by their running back. They ran a reverse for the two pointer to win it.

OU got it together, and won five of the next six, and tied the other. So 6-3-1 heading to play a newly energized Florida St. passing game headed by qb Steve Tensi and a future Hall of Fame receiver, Fred Biletinikoff. And of course the big Sooner headline, during the time of NFL future draft picks, during the time of the AFL-NFL bidding wars, was four top Sooner players, Jim Grisham, Lance Rentzel, Wes Skidgel and Ralph Neely, getting kicked off the team before the game, because Gomer found out they'd signed pro contracts already. So had Tensi and Biletnikoff, but they faked a post game signing ceremony under the goal posts after the game, after smoking the Sooners 36-19. About the lone Sooner highlight, was when seldom used reserve qb Ron Fletcher hit Ben Hart for a 95-yard TD pass, which is still the school record for the longest pass play in school history by five yards.

But I think most alums and those around the program thought Gomer should have done what FSU did. It's part of why the next season was his last.
OU beat an undefeated Nebraska 17-7 in 1964 which was Gomer Jones' high point in his first year....and the high point of his two years as head coach. After two years Gomer was gone which is what I meant in my earlier post.
Mackenzie, like Stoops, inherited some good talent in Warmack, Shotts, Liggins, Kalsu, Titsworth, Koller and Stephenson....players that went on to win the 1968 Orange Bowl after the 1967 season.

ADVERTISEMENT