ADVERTISEMENT

Do College Football Playoff bowl locations provide and advantage to teams near them?

UofOKalum

Sooner signee
Nov 12, 2001
Do College Football Playoff bowl locations provide an advantage to teams near them? For instance, do they provide a recruiting advantage or a homefield advantage in the bowl game.

LSU will likely have a sizeable home field advantage in the semi's in Georgia. They will have an unbelievable advantage if they beat us and make the finals in New Orleans.

I'd say that the committee showed a sizable SEC bias when they considered Georgia over OU for the fourth team. Ridiculous, IMO. It's a good thing that LSU blew them out.

LSU will likely have a sizeable home field advantage in the semi's in Georgia. They will have an unbelievable advantage if they beat us and make the finals in New Orleans.

I'd say that the committee showed a sizable SEC bias when they considered Georgia over OU for the fourth team. Ridiculous, IMO. It's a good thing that LSU blew them out.
How exactly do they figure that Georgia is worthy of being number 5 while Alabama is 13?

Alabama lost to LSU at home by one score and on the road to Auburn by a field goal. Both are ranked in the top 12 and one more play made by the Crimson Tide changes the outcome.

Georgia loses at home to South Carolina (4-8) and then gets curb stomped like a bitch by LSU in the CCG...

Do you think Rece Davis would be able to question how that works?

OU was the only major one-loss team in America this year.
Everyone else in consideration would have had two losses.
To leave OU out would have required an explanation that they could not come up with.
The "Committee" actually had a very easy time this year in determining who the participants would be.
The only work they had to do Saturday night was determine who would be ranked #1, #2 and #3. And in reality, all they had to do was determine who was going to be #1.
The #2 vs #3 game is a moot point. All being #2 does is allow your team to wear your home unis. And it gives #3 the call on the coin flip.
The discussions about Georgia being considered was just the committee trying to convince everyone how extremely difficult their process is.
After losing Saturday, Georgia was never going to be included.

Last edited:
OU was the only major one-loss team in America this year.
Everyone else in consideration would have had two losses.
To leave OU out would have required an explanation that they could not come up with.
The "Committee" actually had a very easy time this year in determining who the participants would be.
The only work they had to do Saturday night was determine who would be ranked #1, #2 and #3. And in reality, all they had to do was determine who was going to be #1.
The #2 vs #3 game is a moot point. All being #2 does is allow your team to wear your home unis. And it gives #3 the call on the coin flip.
The discussions about Georgia being considered was just the committee trying to convince everyone how extremely difficult their process is.
After losing Saturday, Georgia was never going to be included.

On a side note an interesting stat was shown about the playoffs. A #1 seed ( We all knew this part ) and a 3rd seed has never won the CFP. So maybe we are due at 4.

Reactions: iasooner1

Plaino a conversation is going on over at yhe main board about this so called UGA - OU debate and below I am posting what I thought was a great insight from one of our fans. The topic link also below

https://forums.rivals.com/threads/there-was-a-debate-for-the-4-spot.906847/

NW Boomer said:

Not trying to get into a fight.

As I said before, seasons start off with the talking haircuts building up SEC and planting "2 teams from SEC in the playoffs". It is a bias most on here see. ESPN invested 2.2 Billion in SEC for TV coverage... Since then, NCAA has looked the other way on a lot of shady recruiting and (amazingly enough) ESPN starts putting preseason polls out with multiple SEC teams in it resulting in an SEC takeover of BCS national championship appearances. Players fan out money on Instagram after recruiting trips and nothing happens. Ohio State QB gets a tattoo and Tressel loses his job.

It comes off as a protection of an investment.

There is perception of bias whether you like it or not that the other conferences see. So a situation that surfaces someone making an argument for an SEC team (who just got demolished) fits this perception, particularly when there is already an SEC team in (which is the only conference NEVER left out).

I am all for rational discussion. But someone else started this thread, so I think that helps support my original assertion that it comes off as media / committee trying to protect SEC SEC SEC...

I do not dissuade rational argument, in my personal life or anywhere else. If you percieve me contributing and agreeing with the original premise as such, then that is your right.... Georgia in the playoffs is absurd and they just got pounded.

What I am not in the habit of, is arguing with a mod... So I will respectfully bow out.

How does CBS and ESPN fit in this?
Driving home from Dallas Saturday, I had to download the CBS App to watch the LSU/Georgia game.
Made me wonder: Doesn't one of CBS' major competitors own ESPiN?

How does CBS and ESPN fit in this?
Driving home from Dallas Saturday, I had to download the CBS App to watch the LSU/Georgia game.
Made me wonder: Doesn't one of CBS' major competitors own ESPiN?

Yes but CBS is also a SEC network in college football. The only other game they will show is Army - Navy. There CBSSN station I think does only AAC games. Watching a game on the main CBS network is painful listening to Danielson.

If I remember correctly CBS always gets first choice when it comes to selecting SEC games

Here a lousy thought. In my lifetime, LSU has won two national titles. Both times, they got a huge home field advantage in the Superdome in New Orleans.

This season, the NC game is in the Superdome.
Which is why the Oklahoma Sooners need to be playing in New Orleans instead of LSU...

Yes but CBS is also a SEC network in college football. The only other game they will show is Army - Navy. There CBSSN station I think does only AAC games. Watching a game on the main CBS network is painful listening to Danielson.

If I remember correctly CBS always gets first choice when it comes to selecting SEC games

That is sort of my point. Why does ABC's Sports Dept (ESPiN), have such a love affair with the SEC when ABC's competitor is the SEC Network?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT