ADVERTISEMENT

Did our BB team quit Saturday?

Patriotgame

Sooner commitment
Oct 22, 2002
I didn't get to see much of the game Saturday but how did we get blown out?

Last I saw we were tied in the 20's...

Florida was a tough matchup for OU. They were pretty good. OU wasn't.

I quit watching when it got to the high teens. But when I left, Woodard hadn't scored yet.

Reactions: Patriotgame
I don't think they quit. The game was competitive for a while, with OU outplaying FU early. Eventually, the FU lead got to 20 and OU continued fighting and moved the lead from the low 20s to the mid-teens several times, causing the announcers to exclaim "This isn't over yet". Then they ran out of steam at the end of the game and let it get away. A lot of energy used up making those runs back to the mid teens.
This team is young and doesn't quite understand how to slow or stop an opponent's run. I like Woodard and think he is a decent point guard and maybe mentor to the younger guys. But, as I said earlier this year, if we are depending on Woodard to be our "go-to" guy, it is going to be a long season. Jordan is a very good complementary player for someone like Buddy, but to be "the man", he just isn't talented enough to take over a game.

Woodard isn't a bad two guard, but he's not a good point guard. Because of his size, we've tried to play him there, but his ball handling skills are substandard. He is a good spot up shooter from the arc, but there doesn't seem to be a one on this team. With the young talent, if Trae commits to OU, they could be really really good next year. But a college team without decent point guard play is in for a long season.

Last year, they kind of lucked into Cousins, who turned out to be pretty solid at driving to set up other guys for open looks outside. His contribution was very underrated.

Woodard isn't a bad two guard, but he's not a good point guard. Because of his size, we've tried to play him there, but his ball handling skills are substandard. He is a good spot up shooter from the arc, but there doesn't seem to be a one on this team. With the young talent, if Trae commits to OU, they could be really really good next year. But a college team without decent point guard play is in for a long season.

Last year, they kind of lucked into Cousins, who turned out to be pretty solid at driving to set up other guys for open looks outside. His contribution was very underrated.

Right. When I said I think he is a "decent point guard", I should have said "decent player". Florida is better, but not 30 points better. I think the expended energy making the mini-runs caused the young Sooners to run out of gas in the second half of the second half.

Right. When I said I think he is a "decent point guard", I should have said "decent player". Florida is better, but not 30 points better. I think the expended energy making the mini-runs caused the young Sooners to run out of gas in the second half of the second half.

That game reminded me of an old Toby Harrah quote. This was back in the 70's, maybe early 80s and the Rangers were in a real pennant race for the first time, and on September 1, the Rangers were cocky and on a major hot streak. Harrah told the scribes after yet another August win, that is was about September, and they were "going to find out who the real men are." After the Royals got it in gear and won the division as the Rangers faded quietly, a DMN sportswriter put in his column that all the real men were wearing Royals' uniforms.

Saturday, all the men were wearing blue and orange. OUr guys got dominated by their defense and on the glass and on most loose balls.

Great info guys!!!! Thanks!

I knew we were young and really playing without a PG. Hopefully Lon and staff can get the young man, forgot his name, that was down to us and Kansas. I think he is from Oklahoma.

I have no doubt that OU is in great position to succeed as long as Lon Krueger is coach.

Reactions: iasooner1
When OU's offense decides to play street ball, things get ugly. When you have 2 or 3 guys on the floor that can shoot well from the outside, but choose to drive it to the basket, even among 2 or 3 defenders and seldom kick it out, it doesn't work. OU needs to stop dribbling so much and pass more, looking to take an open shot, that is when they really play well.

I wish OU would feed the ball to McNeace more in the post, while taking more shots outside. It's OK to take it to the basket, but when there is a clear opening and not when you have so many defenders in the paint.

We'll never be Kansas, just like they'll never be us in football.

But Lon is capable of having consistently solid teams, that built through experience, can accomplish what Buddy and the gang did last year.

The guys have struggled much more than I expected them too this season due to a stint with Woodard absent and Christian James and, to a lesser extent, Lattin not playing up to higher standards expected. Lon will figure it out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT