ADVERTISEMENT

DeMarco Murray will be suspended for one game

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
During dead periods, he sent messages and other contact to recruits multiple times. Murray is reported as saying that he thought COVID restrictions were still intact, and apparently, that meant that he could still contact recruits at that point. But it was demonstrated that the entire staff was made known the transition out of that time frame. It will be a one--game suspenstion. I didn't hear which game than will be. Hopefully, one of the first three. Or maybe Maine.

ESPN's artical about this said that OU wouldn't name the game when he would served the suspension. It also said that OU would not be allowed any unofficial visitors this weekend agaisnt Temple. And it also said that OU would be restricted from having some or all telephone contact with recruits during a time from early December until after the February signing date. That could be a very big deal.

• Sad
Reactions: iasooner24
Really stupid this day and age. Schools are allowed to bargain with athletes but you cant call them? Yea I know so called dead period but we all know there is no true dead period today
I agree with you. Everything else goes right out the window, so why are they even bothering with Murray?

Murray’s one game suspension isn’t the only penalty. OU is on probation for a year, has to pay a small fine ($5000), and is ban from contacting recruits for three weeks during the recruiting season sometime between December 2024-March 2025 ??? Murray made over 90 inappropriate calls/texts over a 16 week span. Murray claims he thought the calls were permissible due to the temporary Covid rule, which had expired. So tomorrow’s one game suspension is the minor hit for the Sooners.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Really stupid this day and age. Schools are allowed to bargain with athletes but you cant call them? Yea I know so called dead period but we all know there is no true dead period today
Not so sure about that.

I've been a one-man company for 42 plus years. Because of that, when I get a phone call, I have to take it. So all the calls that others don't have to answer, I need to answer. They might be a new customer. I get six to twleve a day that are pure junk, but I have to take them

. When kids are being recruited, they get lots and lots of phone calls a day. You know, they are actually high school students who have a ton of other things to do. Having the dead periods, especially during times before a particular signing time, or when they might be studying for finals, to give them a breadk is a good idea, to allow them from being pressured during those times. The dead periods aren't there to please football fans, or fans of any other sport. They're there for the benefit of the prospective players. Most of the time, they're a great idea. And if one coach is seeking an advantage during recruiting, when no one else has the "courage" to. And seeking that advantage over the other coaches, deserves some kind of punishment.

I believe that recruits and family may contact coaches and university administrators during the dead period without penalty. So essentially the dead period rule is to restrict the university personnel from contacting the recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT