ADVERTISEMENT

Defense

After this win today and watching how physical and aggressive Grinch's defenders played......and seeing Alabama giving up 28 points to ATM....I think OU can at least run the table through the Big12 championship game and get into the playoffs.
Looking at Texas' schedule from here on, it looks like another rematch for OU.

That was the best 27 point defensive performance in a long time! Give Grinch a game ball! Oh and run the damn ball!!!!!!!! BOOMER

Agree 100%

I would go as far to say as the defense won this game for us. Even with no forced turnovers.

Our defense was better than our offense today. How long has it been since that happened?

ok so i gotta ask you bomber....and maybe wnas too...but are you guys friends again? and of course also....are you a believer yet in the new OU D?

Toll I never said I wasn't a believer........I said I wanted to wait and see how we performed when we played someone that was any good. Nobody knew exactly how much we had improved until today and it was a great performance. Murray was a beast and our dline played better than I've seen them play in years. Lets keep it rolling. I don't even know wnas.......not friends...not enemies. Just have differing opinions at times.

You said nobody knew...but I knew. As did others...and I stated it as such. So did others. But it's really all good man. I'm happy for the win. But more than that, I'm happy that the defensive staff and that the defensive players feel validated by today's win from the Sooner nation and sports critics in general. Today was a good day. It's always good to be a Sooner fan. Especially today.

Boomer!

You said nobody knew...but I knew. As did others...and I stated it as such. So did others. But it's really all good man. I'm happy for the win. But more than that, I'm happy that the defensive staff and that the defensive players feel validated by today's win from the Sooner nation and sports critics in general. Today was a good day. It's always good to be a Sooner fan. Especially today.

Boomer!

HA you are full of yourself. You knew how good we were on defense even though we hadn't played anyone? Are you some type of football prophet? Practically everyone I've heard on the radio and on tv said we were better but not sure how much. I guess they should have consulted you and you could have enlightened them with your supreme knowledge lol Its all good

OU had defeated a 2-4 Houston team, South Dakota, a 1-5 UCLA team, a 3-3 Texas Tech team without its star QB Alan Bowman, and a 2-4 Kansas team prior to Texas.
None of these wins could provide much of a barometer of how good OU's defense was....but the improvement was very evident yesterday against a good and battle-tested Texas team.
So why not put the egos away and celebrate a great win together ?

You said nobody knew...but I knew. As did others...and I stated it as such. So did others. But it's really all good man. I'm happy for the win. But more than that, I'm happy that the defensive staff and that the defensive players feel validated by today's win from the Sooner nation and sports critics in general. Today was a good day. It's always good to be a Sooner fan. Especially today. Boomer!

That's my takeaway, too, wn...Our D has gotten a taste of 'the sweet wine', and will now be wanting MORE...They've shown they CAN Do It, and their Confidence has no doubt taken a giant step forward...Their performance, today, was about Much More than Winning the RRS...It may have been the turning point in OUr Season...Red October is within our grasp...and then....

HA you are full of yourself. You knew how good we were on defense even though we hadn't played anyone? Are you some type of football prophet? Practically everyone I've heard on the radio and on tv said we were better but not sure how much. I guess they should have consulted you and you could have enlightened them with your supreme knowledge lol Its all good

We tried to tell you, not enlighten you. It was clear as day the defense had improved dramatically. You and CT kept running up the "we haven't played anyone" flag. I get it, you both had Mike Stoops syndrome, and couldn't trust the defense. Just because OU had not played a superior schedule did not, and does not, mean an observer could not recognize the defense has improved (dramatically). The very thing you are accusing WNAS of (prophet, enlighten, etc.) You are doing. Your continued rationalization of your position about the defense, and how no one could possibly know they are much better (and if you do, you don't know what you are talking about), kind of speaks for itself...and you.

We knew the defense was better than a year ago but that could not be confirmed as to how much better until yesterday. And it appears that Grinch and his defenders can now build from this great win.
No one who feels this way is "accusing" anyone (or even a "prophet") of anything. There's no real burning issue here. Nothing said about OU's body of work prior to the Texas game is inaccurate.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Look... I wasn't going to say anything about yours & Una's 'Doubting Thomas' thoughts of the defense until Una said 'nobody knew'. This was an inaccurate statement. Many knew. Many posted as much. And while I'm not trying to bust your balls, the fact is, your posts clearly project a big time hesitancy to accept that the defense had improved. It was so strong that you even attempted to belittle others for stating as much. Now all of a sudden you're posting "We knew the defense was better.... " You're a great poster CT but clearly you're on the wrong side of this one.

I probably should just wink, wink, nod, nod and move on from your post. But I admit, I struggle with this.

Look... I wasn't going to say anything about yours & Una's 'Doubting Thomas' thoughts of the defense until Una said 'nobody knew'. This was an inaccurate statement. Many knew. Many posted as much. And while I'm not trying to bust your balls, the fact is, your posts clearly project a big time hesitancy to accept that the defense had improved. It was so strong that you even attempted to belittle others for stating as much. Now all of a sudden you're posting "We knew the defense was better.... " You're a great poster CT but clearly you're on the wrong side of this one.

I probably should just wink, wink, nod, nod and move on from your post. But I admit, I struggle with this.
I have not "belittled others" for stating anything about the defense. That's not true.
I did say "This year's defense, even if marginally better than last year, could go a long way in determining OU's success".
WNAS, if you want to hang on to the "I knew" stuff, so that you can, in your mind, be regarded as a "prophet" or being "enlightened", that's okay. But your obsession with anyone who has doubts or concerns about this team is misguided, unnecessary and tedious.....and certainly isn't worth you having to "struggle" with.
You can stop struggling now.

I never said I was a 'prophet' or 'enlightened'. That was the other doubting Thomas. Besides, it's hard to be a prophet of anything after the fact. I posted what I saw & thought AFTER 25% of the season was completed and did NOT PROPHESIZE ANYTHING BEFORE the season. As a reminder I posted the following...

"there is no doubt that the defense is much improved over last year. Let's all hope the improvement continues as the Big 12 OCs make adjustments and design plays to counter this improved defense."

After three games you doubted what you saw and openly told everyone they should as well because they had not played anyone. Most saw something that was good, different, and improved. Many stated as much. But once again you and the other doubting Thomas attempted to diminish what we saw by the continuance of telling us that OU hadn't played anyone worthy. You of course are entitled to your opinion. Doubt all you want and wish. I for one am not telling you that you can't post them. Hell I don't care. But own your posts.

Reactions: soonersoldier
Amen to all the positives said above.

A couple of minor druthers:
1. We held UT to 3 points when we were blitzing in the first half and then gave up 3 TDs when we did less of that in the 2nd half (granted the biggest play was the Johnson run up the gut that a blitz may not have stopped, that one of our DBs should have TFL'd). I haven't seen us blitz like that all year - any reason we wouldn't keep going back to that well?

2. #40 is lost when out in space. Twice in the 3rd Q the scheme had him in position to make a play - one spying Ehlinger on 3rd down deep in UT's own territory, the other on that awkwardly lobbed sideline pass by Ehlinger on the run for another 3rd down conversion that #40 just seemingly watched in slow-mo and then when he ran over to the ball he badly overran it. If #40 just moves the wrong way he's too slow-footed to recover. Do we not have better options here? If we actually get to play Bama with their fleet of playmakers then we'll need our most nimble defenders out there.

I never said I was a 'prophet' or 'enlightened'. That was the other doubting Thomas. Besides, it's hard to be a prophet of anything after the fact. I posted what I saw & thought AFTER 25% of the season was completed and did NOT PROPHESIZE ANYTHING BEFORE the season. As a reminder I posted the following...

"there is no doubt that the defense is much improved over last year. Let's all hope the improvement continues as the Big 12 OCs make adjustments and design plays to counter this improved defense."

After three games you doubted what you saw and openly told everyone they should as well because they had not played anyone. Most saw something that was good, different, and improved. Many stated as much. But once again you and the other doubting Thomas attempted to diminish what we saw by the continuance of telling us that OU hadn't played anyone worthy. You of course are entitled to your opinion. Doubt all you want and wish. I for one am not telling you that you can't post them. Hell I don't care. But own your posts.
One of your minions (not OUnabomber) referred to you as "prophet/enlightened"....no way I would.
And if I had doubts about the defense PRIOR to the Texas game (and actually through the first 5 games, not 3), so what ? Many of us did.
I don't "doubt" it anymore.
I have said that several times since the game ended.
I haven't belittled anyone over this non-issue, either.
Grinch's defense has improved since the Houston game but it really asserted itself yesterday, like never before. I believe that the importance of OU's first big brought out the best of OU's defense. I think it turned a corner for good.

ADVERTISEMENT