ADVERTISEMENT

Dax Hill

WP76

Sooner starter
Oct 4, 2001
Any non-proprietary information on this young man? There's been surprisingly little public "scuttlebutt" about the first Oklahoma HS Rivals five star player in many years. Obviously, would love to see him at OU but don't have a clue otherwise.

He's coming to the BBQ and the word is. He will commit the 1st week of August.

I did here his brother say no way to OU, in a interview at BigXII media days.

I think it's down to OU or Bama

He's coming to the BBQ and the word is. He will commit the 1st week of August.

I did here his brother say no way to OU, in a interview at BigXII media days.

I think it's down to OU or Bama

Any reason offered by the brother as to the lack of interest in OU? Any particular connection to Bama other than the obvious e.g. family, etc?

I took it as his brother taking a little dig at OU more than he is not going to OU. Like he wasn't taking the bait from the OU broadcasters he was being interviewed by. I hear OU has a legit shot but who knows.

Any non-proprietary information on this young man? There's been surprisingly little public "scuttlebutt" about the first Oklahoma HS Rivals five star player in many years. Obviously, would love to see him at OU but don't have a clue otherwise.

This is Mike Stoops' biggest recruiting test that he's ever had while coaching at OU. This is his first 5 star defensive HS player from the state of Oklahoma. Dax is in his backyard. It's a huge test of MS's ability to recruit and seal his own borders. I really hope for the OU program that he's successful and Dax commits to OU. To have this kid leave the state of Oklahoma and play for another University would be a sad situation.

Hill would be a great addition and would be a huge feather in Mike Stoops' hat, being from instate.
It won't be a catastrophic loss however, as OU has three 4-star commitments from Morris, Washington and Davis in the 2019 class and five DB's coming into Norman this year, including a 5-star and two 4-star recruits.

Hill would be a great addition and would be a huge feather in Mike Stoops' hat, being from instate.
It won't be a catastrophic loss however, as OU has three 4-star commitments from Morris, Washington and Davis in the 2019 class and five DB's coming into Norman this year, including a 5-star and two 4-star recruits.

Catastrophic? Well hell nothing is catastrophic w/ regards to recruting. But w/ Mike Stoops past defenses coupled with losing his only 5 star defensive recruit from Oklahoma, it would be considered utter failure. No 5 star recruit should ever leave the state of Oklahoma. Never. OU should own every 4 & 5 star recruit in the state and no one should be allowed to come in and take them.

No 5 star recruit should ever leave the state of Oklahoma. Never. OU should own every 4 & 5 star recruit in the state and no one should be allowed to come in and take them.
Here we go again.
High school boys have the right to go anywhere to play a sport. No one should "own" them.
And how many 5-star players has OU historically recruited from Texas ?
This sounds like the same nonsense we hear from Texas fans about OU "invading" the sacred soil of Texas to fuel the football factory.

Here we go again.
High school boys have the right to go anywhere to play a sport. No one should "own" them.
And how many 5-star players has OU historically recruited from Texas ?
This sounds like the same nonsense we hear from Texas fans about OU "invading" the sacred soil of Texas to fuel the football factory.

No one's going anywhere. But I do totally disagree with you. Comparing the two States, Oklahoma's talent by numbers to that of Texas is silliness run amuck. The state of Texas also has about 6 times more D1 football programs than the state of Oklahoma. OU should be a strong enough D1 football factory within the state lines of Oklahoma that any and all HS recruits would WANT to be owned by OU. And the fact is that Mike Stoops has been around as long as he has, he should have firmly planted established relationships with most if not all Oklahoma HS Coaches, and most definately any & all 5 Star talented recruits. The relationship between MS & Dax should by now be strong enough to fend off any oncomers, especially out of state D1 Coaches. Time will tell us if Dax believes in Mike Stoops and verbally commits to play and then ultimately signs a LOI. It is only a naive person to believe that this is not a huge test for Mike Stoops ability to recruit the talent he needs. Dax is the most talented defensive player Mike Stoops has had the privelege to recruit from the state of Oklahoma. It should be easy pickings.

No one's going anywhere. But I do totally disagree with you. Comparing the two States, Oklahoma's talent by numbers to that of Texas is silliness run amuck. The state of Texas also has about 6 times more D1 football programs than the state of Oklahoma. OU should be a strong enough D1 football factory within the state lines of Oklahoma that any and all HS recruits would WANT to be owned by OU. And the fact is that Mike Stoops has been around as long as he has, he should have firmly planted established relationships with most if not all Oklahoma HS Coaches, and most definately any & all 5 Star talented recruits. The relationship between MS & Dax should by now be strong enough to fend off any oncomers, especially out of state D1 Coaches. Time will tell us if Dax believes in Mike Stoops and verbally commits to play and then ultimately signs a LOI. It is only a naive person to believe that this is not a huge test for Mike Stoops ability to recruit the talent he needs. Dax is the most talented defensive player Mike Stoops has had the privelege to recruit from the state of Oklahoma. It should be easy pickings.
I live in Nebraska and if I was good enough to be recruited in football out of high school, I don’t care how hard they pursued me. I wasn’t going to Nebraska. Some kids don’t have an allegiance to their state college, regardless of what you think. Some kids have dream schools or see opportunities to get away more appealing and if it happens, it’s not always a loss for the staff. Can simply be a battle that wasn’t going to be won. If dax is happy elsewhere that’s his call to make.

Reactions: tjc8214
My point is that recruits anywhere in the country should not be "owned" by local football factories, or be obligated to play for them. When you're 16-17, where you will be for the next 4-5 years of your life can seem like an eternity so it is understandable that a recruit can take his time deciding where to play and even decommit from a non-binding verbal pledge as signing day approaches.....and leave his native state.
OU is a "strong enough D-1 football factory" to attract Oklahoma recruits, usually the top handful that come out of instate high schools every year.....isn't that common knowledge ?
The state of Texas having more talent due to its size and football culture....isn't that common knowledge, too ?
Dax Hill can go anywhere he wants, although I certainly want him at OU. But if he goes elsewhere, I won't carry on like a Texas fan who sees a 5-star instate recruit (or any recruit) head to OU.

Last edited:
This is Mike Stoops' biggest recruiting test that he's ever had while coaching at OU. This is his first 5 star defensive HS player from the state of Oklahoma. Dax is in his backyard. It's a huge test of MS's ability to recruit and seal his own borders. I really hope for the OU program that he's successful and Dax commits to OU. To have this kid leave the state of Oklahoma and play for another University would be a sad situation.
I agree mostly with this, but that last part I think it would be less sad if the kid went to Alabama. Which I believe is the program OU is competing with. It would still be a sad situation. But if you lose a kid to a program that's won 5 National Titles in the last 9 years it kinda changes things. Thankfully OU having a ton of momentum with a new head coach it makes OU look far more appealing than say 4-5 years ago.

I agree mostly with this, but that last part I think it would be less sad if the kid went to Alabama. Which I believe is the program OU is competing with. It would still be a sad situation. But if you lose a kid to a program that's won 5 National Titles in the last 9 years it kinda changes things. Thankfully OU having a ton of momentum with a new head coach it makes OU look far more appealing than say 4-5 years ago.
OU's recruiting momentum is really going well, but it seems to me that Alabama, a team that stresses defense a lot more than any Big12 team, might have the inside track on Hill.

I live in Nebraska and if I was good enough to be recruited in football out of high school, I don’t care how hard they pursued me. I wasn’t going to Nebraska. Some kids don’t have an allegiance to their state college, regardless of what you think. Some kids have dream schools or see opportunities to get away more appealing and if it happens, it’s not always a loss for the staff. Can simply be a battle that wasn’t going to be won. If dax is happy elsewhere that’s his call to make.

I was born and raised in Nebraska. Unlike you I was not good enough to be recruited for college football. If I would have been good enough to play division I football, Oklahoma would have been my pick. Nubby wouldn't have even been on my radar.

Reactions: iasooner1
OU's recruiting momentum is really going well, but it seems to me that Alabama, a team that stresses defense a lot more than any Big12 team, might have the inside track on Hill.

In other words... the OU defensive recruiting needs to rise to the level of OU's offensive level to attract the 5 star recruits from Oklahoma to play at OU.

Not sure when you graduated from HS while in Nebraska, but if it was after the Osbourn era, I don't blame you one bit.

In other words... the OU defensive recruiting needs to rise to the level of OU's offensive level to attract the 5 star recruits from Oklahoma to play at OU.
The state of Oklahoma rarely has a 5-star recruit...so good luck with that.
OU needs good defensive coaching more than anything right now. When that happens, the ratings of incoming recruits will not be an issue.

OU needs good defensive coaching more than anything right now. When that happens, the ratings of incoming recruits will not be an issue.
I could not agree with you more CT. We possess valued and vast talent on defense yet it consistently underperforms

I could not agree with you more CT. We possess valued and vast talent on defense yet it consistently underperforms
Yeah, the defensive talent level at OU over the past decade hasn’t been as bad as the scores indicate, in my opinion. Playing in a spread offense conference is another factor but offers no excuse for OU to have to score 50 or 60 points to win a game so often.

OU lost out on a Top 100 player last year as well. He was a safety from Owasso. You keep thinking this is type of recruiting is acceptable. I'll keep thinking it isn't.

OU lost out on a Top 100 player last year as well. He was a safety from Owasso. You keep thinking this is type of recruiting is acceptable. I'll keep thinking it isn't.
I never said it was "acceptable", only that OU doesn't get every player it wants.
You need to lighten up, WNAS. Your attempts at being confrontational are as silly as they are unnecessary.

Last edited:
I never said it was "acceptable", only that OU doesn't get every player it wants.
You need to lighten up, WNAS. Your attempts at being confrontational are as silly as they are unnecessary.

You just used "Here we go again" and "You need to lighten up" in the same thread and you think I'm attempting to be confrontational. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean that I'm the one being confrontaional.

I will re-affirm. I believe that no 5 star player from the state of Oklahoma should have the desire to attend another D1 school to play football. Period. In my eyes, it shows a lack of ability to build relationships and sell the needs of both the player and the Coach. Last year a Top 100 kid who played defense got away. This year, there's another defensive Top player in the nation, a 5 star recuit in Dax Hill. A trend is not what is needed. Dax Hill is needed.

Lighten up? Pfffft. Toughen up.

Dax is in a different situation all together. His brother is at OSU he is under pressure to follow him there. he may avoid the OU/OSU issue by going out of state. That isn't the OU coaches fault and you can't blame the kid for trying to avoid the issue. If he decides too.

Reactions: runningback43
You just used "Here we go again" and "You need to lighten up" in the same thread and you think I'm attempting to be confrontational. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean that I'm the one being confrontaional.

I will re-affirm. I believe that no 5 star player from the state of Oklahoma should have the desire to attend another D1 school to play football. Period. In my eyes, it shows a lack of ability to build relationships and sell the needs of both the player and the Coach. Last year a Top 100 kid who played defense got away. This year, there's another defensive Top player in the nation, a 5 star recuit in Dax Hill. A trend is not what is needed. Dax Hill is needed.

Lighten up? Pfffft. Toughen up.
Not sure what the disagreement here is.
We both want Hill to come to OU. I just happen to believe that Hill, and any other high school player, "should" go where he and his family decide on, even if it means not coming to OU.
Recruiting is a volatile, unpredictable process so one has to accept some disappointment now and then.
It's out of my control.....and yours....so why worry about it ?
Be "tough".

Bob B was on the radio yesterday talking about Dax.

1. It's looking worse everyday, about him attending the BBQ
2. He thinks Bama, is in the lead
3. He has not gone to Norman, officially or other wise. I doubt he is serious about OU. He's gone to tOSU and Bama but not 90 miles to Norman.

This will be back to back years that OU missed on the best DB, in the state. Riley, McNeil and Gundy need to do an in home. I know Gundy is offense but he's our best recruiter. And his brother played for OkieLite and he went to OU.

Yeah, the defensive talent level at OU over the past decade hasn’t been as bad as the scores indicate, in my opinion. Playing in a spread offense conference is another factor but offers no excuse for OU to have to score 50 or 60 points to win a game so often.

I just took a look at Sooners in the NFL. There are 35 listed by SoonerSports.com.

15 are defensive players
18 are offensive players
1 punter
1 long snapper

All of these players have been at OU in the last decade. The oldest being Jermaine Gresham whose final year at OU was 2008.

How many people would believe OU has about as many defensive players as offensive players in the NFL?

I just took a look at Sooners in the NFL. There are 35 listed by SoonerSports.com.

15 are defensive players
18 are offensive players
1 punter
1 long snapper

All of these players have been at OU in the last decade. The oldest being Jermaine Gresham whose final year at OU was 2008.

How many people would believe OU has about as many defensive players as offensive players in the NFL?
What does this say about the coaching at OU ?

What you ought to ask yourself is, how many of those defensive players were NFL type talent coming out of high school. I don't recall getting any 5 stars until they got Caleb Kelly.

Here are the 15:

Dom Alexander LB (3-star)
Devante Bond LB (3-star)
Aaron Colvin CB (3-star)
Jordan Evans LB (3-star)
Geneo Grissom DL (4-star)
Demontre Hurst DB (4-star)
Tony Jefferson DB (4-star)
David King DE (4-star)
Gerald McCoy DT (5-star)
Stacy McGee DT (4-star)
Corey Nelson LB (4-star)