ADVERTISEMENT

Crazy Playoff Prediction

SoonerMikee05

Sooner signee
May 23, 2009
Not probable but this could happen. Bama wins out they’re in, no other SEC teams, Miami wins out, they’re in, that does it for the ACC. OU wins out they’re in. Now for the B1G. Ohio State beats Wiscy in the CCG so.... 2 loss Ohio State is in. Now for the seedings. Buckeyes are the obvious 4 seed setting up their matchup with Bama. OU and the Canes are 2 or 3 doesn’t matter which, the play each other. The Buckeyes upset Bama, we get past the Canes, setting up a rematch with, well you get it.

Picking those 4 is not crazy - that's just taking favorites (except for Miami over Clemson - the latter opened up as a five-point favorite in the ACC CCG). And if Clemson wins as predicted, does a 2-loss tOSU team go over a 1 loss Miami team? Is a win over ND better than a win over Wiscy? The rest of both teams' wins are a wash IMO, but tOSU still has an extra loss...a beatdown to an Iowa team that just lost again (6-5 on the year).

This is crazy:
Bama loses @Auburn (very possible - Bama currently -4) but then Aubie loses rematch to UGA. Who goes from the SEC? Say the SEC CCG is decided at the end of a close game, so Auburn had a decisive win and a narrow loss ("hard to beat anyone twice, especially in the SEC..." blah, blah, blah), and UGA never had to play Bama. Probably UGA, but after a lot of hand-wringing. And where does that leave 1 loss Bama - with a supposedly "at the time" good win over FSU and possibly a close loss at Auburn as their sole loss? Reality is Bama's best win on the season is still mediocre Miss State.

Picking those 4 is not crazy - that's just taking favorites (except for Miami over Clemson - the latter opened up as a five-point favorite in the ACC CCG). And if Clemson wins as predicted, does a 2-loss tOSU team go over a 1 loss Miami team? Is a win over ND better than a win over Wiscy? The rest of both teams' wins are a wash IMO, but tOSU still has an extra loss...a beatdown to an Iowa team that just lost again (6-5 on the year).

This is crazy:
Bama loses @Auburn (very possible - Bama currently -4) but then Aubie loses rematch to UGA. Who goes from the SEC? Say the SEC CCG is decided at the end of a close game, so Auburn had a decisive win and a narrow loss ("hard to beat anyone twice, especially in the SEC..." blah, blah, blah), and UGA never had to play Bama. Probably UGA, but after a lot of hand-wringing. And where does that leave 1 loss Bama - with a supposedly "at the time" good win over FSU and possibly a close loss at Auburn as their sole loss? Reality is Bama's best win on the season is still mediocre Miss State.

Wouldn’t that be something to have an SECless playoff. The monkeys at ESPN would go bananas.

Reactions: iasooner1
I don't feel sorry for the committee at all. I've been saying all along having ONLY 4 teams in the playoff was some seriously stupid BS. If we really want some exciting football, I think every conference champion should get an automatic invite and then a handful of spots for highest ranked teams that did not win their conference. Why is this so hard to do?

I don't feel sorry for the committee at all. I've been saying all along having ONLY 4 teams in the playoff was some seriously stupid BS. If we really want some exciting football, I think every conference champion should get an automatic invite and then a handful of spots for highest ranked teams that did not win their conference. Why is this so hard to do?
Agree! They have created a Monster...

Reactions: iasooner1
I agree with your sentiment, but I'd also put a loss cap in as well. If you don't, you're paving the way for a team who won the conference, but doesn't really deserve to be in the playoff conversation (see '96 'horns, '03 KSU for a couple of examples)

ADVERTISEMENT