ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats Sooners

Dec 16, 2002
700 yds is crazy. Charlie will be gone and Texas starting over for the 4th time in 4 years as far as offense/defense coordinators and now HC. When you have to have the president of the university fly to beg a coordinator that doesn't even call plays to come to a major university, you know something is terribly wrong. I guess Charlie is our John Blake. Will be only the 2nd HC to leave with a losing record in 125 years.

Good luck rest of the way. Conference sucks, but OU's D will cost them one game. Figure 9-3, but still win the conference.

700 yds is crazy. Charlie will be gone and Texas starting over for the 4th time in 4 years as far as offense/defense coordinators and now HC. When you have to have the president of the university fly to beg a coordinator that doesn't even call plays to come to a major university, you know something is terribly wrong. I guess Charlie is our John Blake. Will be only the 2nd HC to leave with a losing record in 125 years.

Good luck rest of the way. Conference sucks, but OU's D will cost them one game. Figure 9-3, but still win the conference.
Strong just needs one more year.

I don't think he's anything close to Boo Blake. Charlies has had head coaching success and was a terrific coordinator. Blake was neither.

I really hope you guys fire him, because I think if he were to stay for next season, Texas might be really good for awhile. But it was funny during the broadcast. It's like the play by play guy was lobbying for him to stay. But this just goes to show, that it's different at a place like Louisville, (or Houston) than it is at a place like Texas. I never thought Charlie was a great fit for Texas, because he didn't much never care for the PR stuff, which is a big part of the UT job description.

But I think he's a quality coach, who given the chance, will win elsewhere. At a place where he has the backing of his administration. I do believe he's done something that white coaches were guilty of for a long time. I think he hired coaches who were friends and because they were the same color as him, and that took precedence over their quality as a coach. And if this is his last year at Texas, I'll believe that was his downfall.

I don't think he's anything close to Boo Blake. Charlies has had head coaching success and was a terrific coordinator. Blake was neither.

I really hope you guys fire him, because I think if he were to stay for next season, Texas might be really good for awhile. But it was funny during the broadcast. It's like the play by play guy was lobbying for him to stay. But this just goes to show, that it's different at a place like Louisville, (or Houston) than it is at a place like Texas. I never thought Charlie was a great fit for Texas, because he didn't much never care for the PR stuff, which is a big part of the UT job description.

But I think he's a quality coach, who given the chance, will win elsewhere. At a place where he has the backing of his administration. I do believe he's done something that white coaches were guilty of for a long time. I think he hired coaches who were friends and because they were the same color as him, and that took precedence over their quality as a coach. And if this is his last year at Texas, I'll believe that was his downfall.
Plaino, check your Facebook. From me and ST.

I think Charlie must be worn out from Texas' back office bullshit. The boosters are impatient and that's good for us. The Texas job is fast gaining a reputation of having difficult boosters to deal with. Strong will be better off leaving Texas.

Reactions: Oklabama
I think Charlie must be worn out from Texas' back office bullshit. The boosters are impatient and that's good for us. The Texas job is fast gaining a reputation of having difficult boosters to deal with. Strong will be better off leaving Texas.

Some if this is why, in my opinion, Texas is not quite the plum job anymore. "Texas people", and I'm not talking about Horn fans, just think too much about themselves, feel Texas is better than just about all programs even though with all the natural assets and talent at their disposal fail more than succeed. Plaino is right about the job being as much PR as being a quality coach. Bob Stoops, for example, wouldn't fit in with the "Texas people". Mack Brown was the best at it since Darrell Royal. It's going to be more difficult to find the qualities wanted and needed for the Texas job than some think. Too many Texas people have influence over the program.

Charlie may have been a good coordinator in the SEC, but he's totally clueless in defending the spread. Things are different now. You gotta score 40 to win games. Well, in Texas's case, you have to score more then 45. So you have to approach the game differently. Every possession is critical. There was a 3rd and 4 and Texas went to the 18 wheeler. That's just stupid. 4th and 1 maybe, but not 3rd and 4. I haven't felt all year that Gilbert has valued possessions, and clearly the D is just pathetic. Texas is looking at 6-6. You guys might think we over value ourselves as Horns, but we should expect winning records. 3 years and you better be more then 50%. Charlie would have had to go 9-3 just to get even and that was what was required to keep the job. I'm in sales, and if I miss 3 quarters in a row, I'm in deep shit. That's just the way these jobs go and if you can't handle the pressure, you should do something else.

Charlie may have been a good coordinator in the SEC, but he's totally clueless in defending the spread. Things are different now. You gotta score 40 to win games. Well, in Texas's case, you have to score more then 45. So you have to approach the game differently. Every possession is critical. There was a 3rd and 4 and Texas went to the 18 wheeler. That's just stupid. 4th and 1 maybe, but not 3rd and 4. I haven't felt all year that Gilbert has valued possessions, and clearly the D is just pathetic. Texas is looking at 6-6. You guys might think we over value ourselves as Horns, but we should expect winning records. 3 years and you better be more then 50%. Charlie would have had to go 9-3 just to get even and that was what was required to keep the job. I'm in sales, and if I miss 3 quarters in a row, I'm in deep shit. That's just the way these jobs go and if you can't handle the pressure, you should do something else.

Exactly. Good post and good luck finding a coach.

So, you sell wads of shit... ok...

FYI....the OU defense was playing without

8 starters were not playing per Stoops on his show....that will have an effect on any defense. Luckily our offense is coming around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT