ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Bowl Records

Tollboothmgr

OU scholarship offer
Sep 3, 2017
So some folks love to toss out conference bowl records as proving superiority oinferiority. Not sure how accurate it really is, but here’s this years CBR.

Big12
5-0

sec
6-2

B10
3-1

pac12
0-3

group5
0-3

acc
0-4

at first blush you see a very good showing by the good guys, a solid outcome for the sec but abysmal results for the group of 5, the pac 12 and especially the acc.

The whole season has been abysmal. Players out for The Chinese Virus, Opting Out etc etc, games canceled, bowl games canceled and teams using excuses for losses on all the above. No matter what happened this season and will happen the rest of the way it has been a trainwreck and should be noted as such in the record books.

One example, Ohio State played what 6 games and rolled Clempson? I told a friend before the game that Ohio State would win. Not because they were better because I didn't think they were as they had not played lights out all year. My reason was they were the fresher team, less banged up and in mid season form and Clemson was likely banged up from playing more games. tOSU looked like the most fresh team to me from the get go. Just another reason why this whole season was a wash.

As has been experienced by OU and the B12 in the past, these records don't really mean much. A lot of the time, they just reflect matchups. For example, the ACC is 0-4 with 2 of those losses coming in the playoffs. Another was matching Carolina, a team that had some early success but lost to a bad FSU and to Virginia, against a team who could make a good argument that they should have been in the playoff.
Arguably, if A&M had been included in the playoffs, the SEC would be 5-3 instead of 6-2 and the ACC could possibly have been 1-3 (I know - still bad).

Frankly, I only want this fractured football season to be over with.
I got my two big wins over Texas and OSU.
The revenge win over Iowa State in the Big 12 title game was nice as well..
Now I'm ready for (hopefully) a normal 2021 season.

Reactions: kcstorm06
Frankly, I only want this fractured football season to be over with.
I got my two big wins over Texas and OSU.
The revenge win over Iowa State in the Big 12 title game was nice as well..
Now I'm ready for (hopefully) a normal 2021 season.

Me too...have plans to see the Clones and Jayhawks games in person this fall, and maybe the Spring Game too.

Reactions: iasooner1
I took a few minutes to track the Rival team rankings for each of the past 4 years. It's mind boggling when you see it all laid out in front of you.

SEC
In 2018 only Bama & Georgia of the SEC were the only teams to crack even the Top 10 rankings. Since then there was a serious change. Five SEC teams now are firmly planted in the Top 10 as Aggies, Gator, & LSU have joined the party. Meaning, for the past 3 years, five of the Top 10 schools are of the SEC. Long gone are the days when Bob Stoops often reminded the National Media that the SEC was top heavy. Aggie is moving up significantly w/ classes of #16, #6, #6, & #6.

ACC
Unlike the SEC, the ACC is all Clemson but even then they only made the Top 5 once (2020). The Irish is not near what one would think...#11, #14, #22, & finally cracking the Top 10 this year @ #9. Miami just continues to hang around w/ #11, #14, an ugly #22, and finally back to #10. If any school is trending the wrong way in the ACC it's FSU. 10, 17, 20, & 37. I don't think Mike Norvell will make it.

PAC 12
It's Oregon and the rest. Oregon has made the Top 10 for the past three years & only missed a 4th yr by coming in at #12 in 2018. They've been steady for years. USC... wowza... they went from #3 in 2018 to #71 last year, and back up to #12 this year. NCAA penalties can and do hurt a program.

Big 10
Nobody's fooling anybody here... everyone is chasing tOSU & it isn't a race.. They've made the Top Five 3 of the last 4 recruiting seasons. Oddly, they didn't make the Top 20 in 2019. Mich & Penn made the Top 5 in 2018 and the conference has went to shit since. A huge trend downwards for the entire conference.

Big 12
Who's kidding who here? It's OU & Texas and that's it. I didn't even track the others. Oddly, OU is NOT trending in the right direction. At least recruiting wise. OU's past four years looks like this....#8, #5, #16, & now #13. Riley got off to a fast start as the OC & HC but it's slipping folks. Now I recognize that I'll hear all about rankings don't matter blah, blah, blah... but they do. Losing the final 3 players in the waning weeks of this recruiting cycle will eventually catch up. OU will continue to make hay in the B12 but to get up to a different level and win a Natty, recruiting MUST improve. Period. Now for Texas... Herman's smell test failed but he did attract some talented kids in his first couple of years,, #4, #4, #14, & #16. Actually, overall a bit better than OU. But now w/ a new sheriff in town, a new smell test will occur as well. So I expect UT to jump signicifacntly in the recruiting rankings. But w/ Aggie, LSU, Bama, tOSU fighting for the top talent in Texas, OU best better get a better plan. Because it's already showing a bad trend in the recruiting wars w/ these schools.

Having posted this stuff, I recognize that the transfer portal is changing the landscape of CFB. Riley is telling us by a lot. We can only hope so at this point.

Last edited:
I won't copy all of newnasty's post, but will offer a suggestion. Several of these rankings show an outlier "fall off" year. Is it possible that those years are years when a full compliment of scholarships are not available, which affects total ranking? And, in conjunction with fewer scholarships available, when you have just had a couple of highly rated classes in a row, there is established young talent, causing some recruits to lean the "other way" when the decision is close? The USC fall off in 2019, for example.

The whole season has been abysmal. Players out for The Chinese Virus, Opting Out etc etc, games canceled, bowl games canceled and teams using excuses for losses on all the above. No matter what happened this season and will happen the rest of the way it has been a trainwreck and should be noted as such in the record books.

One example, Ohio State played what 6 games and rolled Clempson? I told a friend before the game that Ohio State would win. Not because they were better because I didn't think they were as they had not played lights out all year. My reason was they were the fresher team, less banged up and in mid season form and Clemson was likely banged up from playing more games. tOSU looked like the most fresh team to me from the get go. Just another reason why this whole season was a wash.

I told my son, who's a Bama grad, put an asterisk next to this season...

The numbers don't add up. 14 wins, 13 losses. Hard for that to happen.

You had:

Big12
5-0 Right

sec
6-2 Right

B10
3-1 Right

pac12
0-3 Only 2 games. Oregon and Colorado both lost to Big 12 teams

group5
0-3 Right

acc
0-4 Wrong, 6 teams played in bowls: NCS, UNC, Clemson, ND, Miami and Wake. There were 0-6

Last edited:

You had:

Big12
5-0 Right

sec
6-2 Right

B10
3-1 Right

pac12

group5
0-3 Right

acc
0-4 Wrong, 6 teams played in bowls: NCS, UNC, Clemson, ND, Miami and Wake. There were 0-6
yep i caught the acc lapse too late but thanks for pointing it out.

You had:

Big12
5-0 Right

sec
6-2 Right

B10
3-1 Right

pac12

group5
0-3 Right

acc
yep i see that now after it's too late. sorry guys...will try to do better!

ADVERTISEMENT