ADVERTISEMENT

Colin Kaepernick signs a one million dollar contract

2bf125b77c3fe6471e87eb4cd65afb03.jpg

You got me, I am a racist. I hope my two adopted black children and countless other children of different races my wife and I have fostered over the years never find out.

See... this is exactly what I mean. You believe that racism can't be but anyone but a white person.

I usually don't like to get into debates like this and I am like most anyone else on the topic all I have is my opinion. When I was younger I was what most might call a little hoodlum. I had long hair, ran with a bad crowd and we were always doing something that we knew we were not supposed to be doing. Have fun and worry about the consequences later I guess is what we thought. We were all white middle class but that never stopped the police from taking us to jail or pulling us over when we were up to no good. I have been to jail about 4 times in my life when I was younger. Guess how many of those times I did nothing wrong? Yep none, zero zip nada.

I did not come from a wealthy family, my parents were not college educated and did not have the money to send any of us to college. I never had my own car and my parents could not afford to buy us one. As I was saying when I was younger I had long hair up into my 20's and always had trouble getting someone to hire me, go figure right? I hear people say today that white people have "White Privledge" but I don't know what it is or where to get it. Today I run my own Antique Business and I am not getting rich from it but I do work my butt off doing it. I have seen a lot of my friends from back in the day that I ran with go to prison, become drug addicts and criminals because they chose that path, I always knew then as I do now that you have to work to get what you want or need, you may not always get what you want but hey thats life. I would have liked to have been able to go to college but it wasn't meant to be. One thing my Dad always told me is work hard and good things will come to you, nobody out there in the real world gives a crap about you or who you are, find something you like to do and bust your rear to make it happen. Hearing a privledged millionaire athlete talk about injustice makes me want to puke. Come live in my world for a day, you will be back in your $200,000 sports car after a day if you make it that long.

I have many family and friends in Law Enforcement, not a single one I know is a racist but none of them care too much for criminals I can tell you that. I have a good friend that is a policeman in New Orleans, he has told me there are certain neighborhoods where they are not allowed by the PD to go in alone, there has to be 2 of them to go into them. Think about that for a minute. I cannot imagine a policeman being afraid for his life to come into my neighborhood. Anyway, talk to a cop if you know one and ask them what its like dealing with the people they deal with day in and day out. Yep its their job and I have never heard one complain about it but I know what they have to deal with and its not a pretty picture. I think people like Kaepernick are painting a bad picture of the Police and thats a shame. Sure there are probably some bad cops out there but there are a heck of a lot more bad people out there. So Colin write your book if it makes you happy I won't read it but I am sure some will but I wish people like you would focus on the real issue here and that is crime being committed by these so called choir boys getting stopped and or arrested by the police. Usually people that hate the police are the ones that are doing something illegal and they don't want to be hassled by them. Just my 1 cent, I don't have 2 cents to give anymore.

See... this is exactly what I mean. You believe that racism can't be but anyone but a white person.
What are you talking about? You're making all of these judgments about me and you don't know a thing about me. All I said was that I don't understand why people get so upset about another person's world view or perspective when they've never walked a day in that person's shoes. And then when that person wants to make a change for what he believes will create a better life for himself or others like him, everyone gets so angry about that. Why? It's not the time, it's not the place, blah, blah, blah. Who the hell am I, or are we, to make that determination? You can call me a racist, think that I only believe racism is a one way street, whatever.

OUSOONER67, good for you man. You're a great story of overcoming some poor choices as a kid and through hard work making a way for yourself. Colin has done the same under some different circumstances. I'm sure knowing your father didn't want you and being adopted at birth were things he dealt with and overcame later in life, and will probably deal with for the rest of his life. The only place I think you're mistaking is to say that "Hearing a privileged millionaire athlete talk about injustice makes me want to puke. " Why? Do you believe they are protesting for themselves? I don't. I believe they are protesting for others like them, but only are not as fortunate financially, that they believe are being treated unfairly. What's wrong with that? What's wrong with using their resources, the things they've earned to try to make a better way for others less fortunate? We get caught up in such narrow minded thinking that we lose track of the big picture. If someone's NFL Sunday is slightly less enjoyable in the short term, but these protests make positive change in the lives of others for years to come, I'm good with that.

Reactions: JConXtsy
Book deal over-paying Kaepernick $999,999 IMO. Not to be spiteful, but I just don't care for this individual and hope his book sales flop. Wasn't the guy paid sufficient $$ as an athlete? Instead of being an attention whore why don't you slither off and find something constructive to do.

NFL turning me off. Looking forward to watching another exciting finish for our Sooners and the upcoming college basketball season.

Whatever he's protesting, he's managed to make it all about him, as have those who have "joined" him. Is anybody discussing what he's protesting? Nope. They are discussing how he's chosen to protest.
Has he made it about him or have the people that are so angry about it made it about him?

Does it matter? The end result is the end result. Nobody is talking about what he's actually protesting.
It matters if others have made it about him out of racism, intentional or not. That's not his fault. But as this thread has proven, there's no point in continuing that discussion.

The dude sat in a news conference with a Fidel Castro t-shirt on, think about that for just a minute...... He either knows nothing about the history of Cuba or he doesn't no what inequality is. The pig cop socks were disgusting as well. The guy was raised in a fine home by white parents. He has no idea what's going on other than what his BLM girlfriend poisons his mind with.

Whatever he's protesting, he's managed to make it all about him, as have those who have "joined" him. Is anybody discussing what he's protesting? Nope. They are discussing how he's chosen to protest.

Great point. Nobody is discussing his concerns. He should maybe consider taking it to the streets in the neighborhoods where it’s happening. But that would make too much sense.

I have a suggestion for Kaepernick. Donate the entire million and book sales to the NAACP and other similar organizations. I’m sure it will be put to good use, and it should make him feel really good that he has put his money where his mouth is. :cool: Kneeling isn’t going to do jackshit for anybody.

It matters if others have made it about him out of racism, intentional or not. That's not his fault. But as this thread has proven, there's no point in continuing that discussion.
Unintentional racism? Is that actually a thing now? I can be racist without intending to be racist? That really just sounds like a broad-based shenanigan to use racism as a reason for anything.

And no, it doesn't matter. You might want it to matter, but it doesn't. The entire dialogue is centered around his form of protest, not what he is protesting, and yes, that is his fault. Knowing your audience is key to effective protesting. If striking General Motors employees displeased about their pay and benefits picketed Home Depot, would that make any sense?

I'll ask the question again, why are you bothered so much by a wealthy black athlete protesting? I have yet to hear one answer that justifies the "outrage".

Who are you asking that question?
Anyone in this thread that has expressed an opinion against Kaepernick and the protest he started. Why are you so bothered by it and how does it impact you in any real way other than your level of enjoyment of the NFL? There's so much negativity and animosity towards him that I don't understand. In his mind he's trying to make a positive difference for a group of people that he feels have been wronged. It's not a protest based on hatred or any attempt to harm anyone else or another group. I just don't get it.

Reactions: CTOkie
I'll ask the question again, why are you bothered so much by a wealthy black athlete protesting? I have yet to hear one answer that justifies the "outrage".

Pig cop socks, Fidel Castro shirt and I just think he is an idiot in general. His heart might be in the right place but his mind is screwing it all up with poor judgement in attire. Fidel Castro? Really? Does he not realize the things Castro did? That was enough for me to write off that douche Kaepernick.

What bothers most is him saying he doesn't support an ENTIRE COUNTRY because of social injustice. And his protest is to disrespect the National Symbols, Flag and Anthem, of that country.
I'd venture to say, in my opinion, if he was taking a knee in the end zone after every TD, there wouldn't be one person who had an issue with his "protest".
It doesn't outrage you that he disrespects the US Flag and Anthem, and that is OK. You have that right BECAUSE OF that Flag and Anthem. Just like you telling others they can't know what the injustice feels like, from your comments you can't tell what the "outrage" feels like. The only reason you haven't heard "one answer" is because you don't want to hear them. His cause says there needs to be discussion/ conversation. But if you (he) are not willing to listen to an opposing side, ALSO, nothing will ever change...regardless which side you are on. It has to be a two-way street or it is just so much noise.

But, you can see my previous post for my opinion of what the real story is with him. I think his "protest" is made up BS.

Anyone in this thread that has expressed an opinion against Kaepernick and the protest he started. Why are you so bothered by it and how does it impact you in any real way other than your level of enjoyment of the NFL? There's so much negativity and animosity towards him that I don't understand. In his mind he's trying to make a positive difference for a group of people that he feels have been wronged. It's not a protest based on hatred or any attempt to harm anyone else or another group. I just don't get it.
I don't give a single shit what he does. I don't watch the NFL. I'm just pointing out that the poor Colin shtick doesn't fit the reality.

He chose to protest while on his employer's time and dime. His employer happens to be in the entertainment business and relies on butts in seats and eyes on the TV to make money. When he realized that his actions were drawing negative attention, he could have simply stopped, possibly finding a better forum to protest in the future. But he didn't stop and now he finds himself in a situation of unemployment. I don't know if he's a good football player or not, but even the best will find themselves unemployed if they cause financial risk to the employer. Not a difficult concept.

It goes back to knowing the audience. The NFL watching demographic isn't comprised of primarily social justice warrior types. It is obviously comprised of people who don't see the connection between not standing for the National Anthem and speaking out against police injustice. The Anthem doesn't pertain to the police. You can label people whatever you want for being offended by his form of protest, but in the entertainment industry, the customer is the one paying, so the customer alone is the sole judge of the product. He's either too stupid or too arrogant to realize that. That's entirely on him.

Look, it’s obvious that Kaepernik doesn’t bother you so you ask why we are bothered, yet we have explained why. So let me ask you why it bothers you so much that Kaepernick pisses us off, and you have explained too. This is going to end exactly like Kaepernick’s kneeling protest will end. Not a damn thing is going to be accomplished. Wait and see.

What are you talking about? You're making all of these judgments about me and you don't know a thing about me.

First... I didn't read your post past this. In your world, it's wrong for someone to make judgements against someone they don't know, specifically you. But it's ok that you also state that only white people are those that are objecting. You're wrong.

I know what's up. I'm moving on. You can sit or stand and support whoever you wish. I plan to do the same.

First... I didn't read your post past this. In your world, it's wrong for someone to make judgements against someone they don't know, specifically you. But it's ok that you also state that only white people are those that are objecting. You're wrong.

I know what's up. I'm moving on. You can sit or stand and support whoever you wish. I plan to do the same.
I don't recall saying this, but I'm not going to go back and read everything I wrote or argue it any further. Unfortunately, I'm not surprised by the majority of the reactions. It's a sad state we live in today. It's the reason I quit facebook, all other social media, and now this site, for at least a while. The hatred is off the charts and too depressing to see on a daily basis.

I don't recall saying this, but I'm not going to go back and read everything I wrote or argue it any further. Unfortunately, I'm not surprised by the majority of the reactions. It's a sad state we live in today. It's the reason I quit facebook, all other social media, and now this site, for at least a while. The hatred is off the charts and too depressing to see on a daily basis.
Hatred? That's what folks do who don't have a valid point - they deflect. Just like my teen-aged daughter long ago. The protester movement claims they want to have conversation. What they really want is an audience that they can preach to. They want talk, but don't want it to be a conversation.
When you couldn't defend your position and your "questions/concerns" were addressed, you didn't want to hear it. So, you are leaving us.
Well.....Bye and don't let the door hit you where the Good Lord split you.

Duplicate

OUSooner4623

What makes this board great is everyone can state their opinion.
This is America and we all as Americans have the 1st Amendment FREEDOM OF SPEECH.

Welcome back I remember you from the past

Last edited:
OUSooner4623

What makes this board great is everyone can state their opinion.
This is America and we all as Americans have the 1st Amendment FREEDOM OF SPEECH.

Welcome back I remember you from the past.

Reactions: OUSOONER67

Another melted snowflake when confronted with truth.

Come on man nobody said they hated anyone. Thats whats wrong with people having debates like this today, so many are quick to dismiss someone elses opinion and say its based on hate or race. One of the reasons I got off facebook 3 yrs ago was becuase if you said anything negative about Obama you were called a racist. I am an Antique Dealer and posted a Nazi WW2 helmet on my facebook page, a vet souvenir from the War, and I was called a Nazi and a Nazi Supporter and people unfriended me. Its unbelievable to me that people will call someone a Nazi because they collect WW2 items. The stupidity today is off the charts.
Anyway, I respect your opinion about Kaepernick and what he stands for I just don't agree with how he went about it. Hopefully he does a lot of good for a lot of people and hopefully his heart is pure in his mission. I am off the topic now, we have a game Saturday, gotta get my mind right. BOOMER!

He wore 'pig' socks. So you're telling me this is an attempt to make a positive difference?

Sorry I have one question for you. How do you defend someone that wears a Fidel Castro shirt? He even defended Castro. You have heard of Fidel Castro have you not?

http://babalublog.com/fidel-castros...d-crimes/fidel-castros-firing-squads-in-cuba/

Most of those that agree with Kaepernick will not even take the time to join his nonsensical protest or to read his book.....or any book for that matter.

Most likely true but as Schoonerman pointed out, the book tour will include the media. So we can expect him to be used as a puppet and his book as a prop to keep the story alive. He'll make the circuit from the Today show to the View and all points in between. Which will most likely include each of the left leaning late night shows such as Fallon, Colbert & Kimmel.

Reactions: sooners49
Most likely true but as Schoonerman pointed out, the book tour will include the media. So we can expect him to be used as a puppet and his book as a prop to keep the story alive. He'll make the circuit from the Today show to the View and all points in between. Which will most likely include each of the left leaning late night shows such as Fallon, Colbert & Kimmel.

Yeah I didn’t think of that. Doesn’t bother me. I don’t ever watch any of that shit. I’ve never seen any of the late night shows or the View except replays shown on the morning cable networks. From what I’ve seen I am truly surprised one of Trump’s nut jobs hasn’t done something stupid because even I have had really bad thoughts sometimes, which makes me feel like I’ve become a different person. I don’t like that feeling. It’s really stupid to let something you have absolutely no control of affect you that way, but I am seeing this happening all around the country. It’s really sad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT