ADVERTISEMENT

Cody Thomas gives up OU baseball to focus on OU football...

JMISASANO

Sooner starter
May 4, 2012
B88V_tyIEAE4OKw.jpg:large

Good for Cody. I would like nothing more than for three QBs to go into August with a chance to become the starter.

So he can throw a football. They would not let him throw a ball when the defense stacked the box. Amazing, you go Cody.

Wonder if Riley said something to him. Couldn't imagine Cody giving up baseball, wasnt he a mid round draft pick out of high school? Guess they think if he went straight baseball he would have a chance at starting next season.

Sorry to hear this. He's a very good baseball player and the Sooners could definitely use him in the outfield. However, I appreciate and applaud his decision to concentrate solely on football. Probably not a bad idea considering how wide open the QB race will be this spring and summer.

I wish him and all the guys vying for the starting QB role the very best.

To me it's puzzling, I thought he was just in because we had no backup, had no idea he had more interest in football. We really never got to see much from him. I hope he isn't sacrificing his baseball.
Originally posted by coe8189:
Wonder if Riley said something to him. Couldn't imagine Cody giving up baseball, wasnt he a mid round draft pick out of high school? Guess they think if he went straight baseball he would have a chance at starting next season.

Originally posted by soonerfastnloud:
To me it's puzzling, I thought he was just in because we had no backup, had no idea he had more interest in football. We really never got to see much from him. I hope he isn't sacrificing his baseball.
I hope he his. He's good at football. His Sr year numbers were incrdibly good. This spring, a QB battle is about to take place... again. This time under a new OC and QB Coach. I think it'll pay dividends.

Originally posted by WhyNotaSooner:

Originally posted by soonerfastnloud:
I hope he his. He's good at football. His Sr year numbers were incrdibly good. This spring, a QB battle is about to take place... again. This time under a new OC and QB Coach. I think it'll pay dividends.
yes it will be very interesting....no doubt

Originally posted by barkingwater2000:
He is going to have to improve drastically in football from what I've seen.
New Coach, new offense, fullt time football schedule, these things can do wonders.

Well I hope you are right because either him or Baker Mayfield is going to have to step up for this team to have any success. This is probably the worst we have been at QB in a long time.

Well I hope you are right because either him or Baker Mayfield is going to have to step up for this team to have any success. This is probably the worst we have been at QB in a long time.
The offense will avg 42 pts. next season. Save this post.

Originally posted by WhyNotaSooner:

The offense will avg 42 pts. next season. Save this post.
I agree and contrary to popular opinion, I think OU can be in good shape at quarterback this year....there will be improvement by all 4 quarterbacks, an established offensive identity will be found built around OU's best player Perine, the receiving corps will improve and JUCO wide receiver Westbrook will make a nice impact, Danley and Wariboko will help the offensive line as some younger players should step up well. Biggest question for me, outside of who starts at QB, is who will play tight end....or if there will be a TE. Isaac Ijalana and Connor Knight are the lone TE's with McNamara leaving.
Three of OU's quarterbacks were prolific recruits. Knight showed in the Sugar Bowl what he can do with a strong supporting cast around him and this is something he did not have in 2014. Thomas has potential to start and like Knight, if he's surrounding by a strong supporting cast, he can shine.
It's interesting to me how hardly anyone mentions Justice Hansen. He was an early signee, played spring ball and has shown good ability.
I think OU can and will find a good quarterback out of these four players....maybe more than one.

My thoughts when hearing this were:
CT has the ability to play professional baseball.
He is going to concentrate on football in spring to give himself the best chance possible to be the starting QB at OU.
If he wins the competition, he is a three-year starter.
If he does not win the competition at OU, he plays one more year as backup.
Being a baseball junior, he is then eligible for the baseball draft and is the minor leagues after the 2015 football season.
He can even play baseball at OU in 2016 and be drafted that season.

Oops CT you jumped the gun on Wariboko

Originally posted by CTOkie:
Danley and Wariboko will help the offensive line as some younger players should step up well.
Three of OU's quarterbacks were prolific recruits. Knight showed in the Sugar Bowl what he can do with a strong supporting cast around him and this is something he did not have in 2014. Thomas has potential to start and like Knight, if he's surrounding by a strong supporting cast, he can shine.
It's interesting to me how hardly anyone mentions Justice Hansen. He was an early signee, played spring ball and has shown good ability.
I think OU can and will find a good quarterback out of these four players....maybe more than one.

that's awesome. Maybe now...with the increased focus/practice....he will be able to complete a simple 10yrd out route pass or pass to the short flat.

Originally posted by humblesooner:

My thoughts when hearing this were:
CT has the ability to play professional baseball.
He is going to concentrate on football in spring to give himself the best chance possible to be the starting QB at OU.
If he wins the competition, he is a three-year starter.
If he does not win the competition at OU, he plays one more year as backup.
Being a baseball junior, he is then eligible for the baseball draft and is the minor leagues after the 2015 football season.
He can even play baseball at OU in 2016 and be drafted that season.
That's how I read it as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT