ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches Poll #3

....or do play them.

I don't get it CT, with that position why do you even follow OU? I get it...20 years, but the Sooners are relevant, Coach Riley is not standing pat, the Program is thriving. I don't doubt your love for OU and recognize the frustration of coming close so many times the past decade...but we could be worse off (i.e. Texas). And that is not a give up statement, it is perspective. Trust me I will not be happier for anyone more than you when they win the next one...and they will 👊

Reactions: iasooner1 and 22LR
I don't get it CT, with that position why do you even follow OU? I get it...20 years, but the Sooners are relevant, Coach Riley is not standing pat, the Program is thriving. I don't doubt your love for OU and recognize the frustration of coming close so many times the past decade...but we could be worse off (i.e. Texas). And that is not a give up statement, it is perspective. Trust me I will not be happier for anyone more than you when they win the next one...and they will 👊
We've a need for a proven defense brother.

When defense is prioritized as much as offense at OU, championships will come. Yielding 40, 37, 54, 45 and 63 points does not reflect championship relevance, and I choose not to compare OU to other teams, especially Texas.
Grinch looks to be bringing in talent to make it happen.....and getting OU away from the Texas Tech/arena style football that has a limited ceiling. The next two years will tell us a lot.

Last edited:
When defense is prioritized as much as offense at OU, championships will come. Yielding 40, 37, 54, 45 and 63 points does not reflect championship relevance, and I choose not to compare OU to other teams, especially Texas.
Grinch looks to be bringing in talent to make it happen.....and getting OU away from the Texas Tech/arena style football that has a limited ceiling. The next two years will tell us a lot.

Defense has been prioritized. And now there is coaching to go with it. It is not like they haven't tried. The top tier athletes are trickling in of the defensive side of the ball. I am not sure what more the Program could do at this point to satisfy nay sayers. Anybody suggesting OU is not currently relevant in college football is obtuse...at best. Not comparing OU to Texas is equally short sighted; if OU doesn't beat Texas they ain't playing for a championship (i.e. not playing for a championship).

Reactions: 22LR and iasooner1
Defense has been prioritized. And now there is coaching to go with it. It is not like they haven't tried. The top tier athletes are trickling in of the defensive side of the ball. I am not sure what more the Program could do at this point to satisfy nay sayers. Anybody suggesting OU is not currently relevant in college football is obtuse...at best. Not comparing OU to Texas is equally short sighted; if OU doesn't beat Texas they ain't playing for a championship (i.e. not playing for a championship).
Right here right now right bra? That's a classic Van Halen song, or should I say Van Hagar?

Reactions: iasooner1
Defense has not BEEN prioritized and while Grinch may have turned the corner on getting OU's defense up to a higher level, 63 points yielded to LSU in a prime time playoff game reflects there is a lot more work to be done.
This isn't a "naysayers" take on this, but an observation of OU football in recent years both in regular season games and playoff games. Having to score 40-50 points to win to offset a porous defense won't ever win national championships. Haven't we been watching the same games ?
In the two losses to KSU and LSU last season, OU gave up 111 points.
In the two losses to Texas and Alabama in 2018, OU gave up 93 points.
In the two losses to Iowa State and Georgia in 2017, OU gave up 92 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: OUSOONER67
It pisses me off that Ohio State has been given the softest schedule of the BIG 10. They have been set up to succeed within their conference. Nebraska has the opposite situation. I hope Ohio State gets beat once or twice.
Softest schedule because they don't have to face a team of their caliber, I really don't see anyone in their crossover Big West staying within 3 TDs. Wisconsin is the logical choice and they surprised OSU is the 1st half of the B1G championship game but OSU came out and curb stomped them in the 2nd half after adjustments. The only team close to their talent level is PSU and that could be a heck of a game. Urban said on Fox Saturday that this will be one of their best offenses ever and went back to the 90s for comparison

Given the trend of blown 20-point leads, ambush losses, shameful postseason play and having to score more than 40-50 points to win many games, I guess OU's "relevancy" can be debated.
Also, Caleb Williams commitment may prove to be more important than originally thought for OU's QB situation in the years ahead.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT