ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Riley says OU will refrain from using "horns down" sign....

seems like I recall baby Mack Brown complaining about this. Sad to see society becoming so sensitive. Im betting every sooner fan in the stands will be doing it all day

Every Sooner fan...at the game...at the bar...at home watching the game. I hope they get booed like never before. Bevo ball lickers.

I won't.

Tuck Fexas

1A-Bevo-2-40wpide.jpg

5435d99eb76e2.image.jpg

503d8c800bb6a2a675e738675624da1d.jpg

texas-longhorn-logo-450x225.jpg

Well the fact that an official has instructed the spirit squad and the Schooner squad to refrain from doing it is very telling in that OU has bowed down to the wishes of UT. I think it's wrong to do this.
Whatever it is or isn't, this nonsense cannot be a distraction for Riley's team.
The best revenge is doing well....so beat Texas !

Whatever it is or isn't, this nonsense cannot be a distraction for Riley's team.
The best revenge is doing well....so beat Texas !

I for one give Riley, his coaches and his players more credit than this. I mean if a cheerleader or a member of the Schooner squad is a distraction to the players, then Riley has already lost his team. OU officials telling the cheer squad to back off, back down from throwing the 'horns down' is simply pathetic weak sauce. The game is ONLY being played for the entertainment value. Nothing more and nothing less. And part of the entertainment is the crowd, the band, and the atmosphere at the game.

I say OU goes to dominate Texass and at the end of the game, all OU players go to midfield and throw "Horns Down".

Last edited:
Reactions: kcstorm06
I for one give Riley, his coaches and his players more credit than this. I mean if a cheerleader or a member of the Schooner squad is a distraction to the players, then Riley has already lost his team. OU officials telling the cheer squad to back off, back down from throwing the 'horns down' is simply pathetic weak sauce. The game is ONLY being played for the entertainment value. Nothing more and nothing less. And part of the entertainment is the crowd, the band, and the atmosphere at the game.
No lack of credit was given to Riley and his players.
Riley stated his players would not flash the sign during the game primarily so his team could focus on preparation, thereby making this potential distraction a non-issue for his players and coaches.

Last edited:
No lack of credit was given to Riley and his players.
Riley stated his players would not flash the sign during the game primarily so his team could focus on preparation, thereby making this potential distraction a non-issue for his players and coaches.

Riley is wrong on this one. Offensive genius, head coach badass... No one is perfect. He's a West Texas disciple. OU is something else.

Riley is wrong on this one. Offensive genius, head coach badass... No one is perfect. He's a West Texas disciple. OU is something else.
Respectfully disagree.
Riley is trying to keep his players focused on the game itself and to prevent an unsportsmanlike penalty (or penalties) of 15 yards.
I don't believe Riley is trying to appease Herman and his players or the Big 12. How is he wrong on this ?
Logic should prevail over emotion here.

Reactions: sooners49
This whole "horns down", "hookem horns" outrage will likely lead to some people on both sides getting hurt.
OU and Texas already hate each other....and now this.
If the "horns down" hand sign incites you to violence, then you probably already need to be in an institution. Geez, it's not like a racial slur, or insulting someone's wife/kids/parents.

1991 Cotton Bowl, a Miami 46-3 win.
15 penalties for 202 yards....9 penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct and three personal fouls.
This was precipitated by trash talk and taunting by Texas players prior to the game.
Dirtiest game I've ever seen. While I enjoyed Texas getting blown out, it gave me yet another reason to hate Miami.

ADVERTISEMENT