ADVERTISEMENT

Chat Recap: September 8th

usedtobe1

Sooner starter
Oct 8, 2008
My philosophy on chat notes is I read this board for content about OU sports, and I enjoy the details. Things like the Chat and Scoop are some of the main reasons I subscribe. I don’t try to alter what people are saying in my recaps but instead just try to organize it more logically so all similar items are grouped together. I’m aware there are other recaps, and I’m not trying to compete with anyone. I just put this out as an alternative to reading thru the chat transcript in unedited form.

Josh and the new guy, Joe DuVall, were the only Scoop staffers in the chat this week; Carey and Eddie were unavailable. Sorry I’m late this week but had some personal things I had to take care of. I thought it was important to have something out there before the Tennessee game. I tried to take names out of the comments except for Josh and Joe D with 2 exceptions this week. Sooner Redzone draws a lot of comments so I kept his name in and someone was posting in the chat as if they were Jay Norvell and the replies were out of context if I took that name out.

Enjoy:

Recruiting questions/comments:

So I'll get it out of the way, Next Commt?
Josh_M: Sticking with Marvin Terry.

Josh, still think backer is Terry and Kelley? Any shot at Jackson?
Josh_M: Some shot, but it's small IMO. Then again Dontavious has been pretty quiet lately.

Josh. If your OU and bedenbaugh. Do you go after more than 3 OL. And cut ties with some of the other guys. Daimler. Grant?
Josh_M: Guest, oh I think it sounds great on paper but that's just not something that OU has ever done. I still think OU will try to sign four when it's all said and done.
Joe DuVall: Josh hit the nail on the head IMO. Just not something that Stoops will do.

Any idea who the Neville Gallimore is of this class?
Josh_M: You mean from the perspective of guy that most thought OU had no chance at?
Josh, that's exactly what I was talking about with my Gallimore question. Someone nobody thought we would get, but end up with.
Josh_M: Hmmm...I think it will be an OL but I'm just not sure who it will be. Without an OL I think we've got a decent idea of how this class will play out.

DT Jordan Elliot decommitted from UH (think he was once a Baylor commit as well)...is OU in on him still?
Josh_M: Still working to be.

Is DT Ed Oliver making that trip for an OU official?
Josh_M: Not sure, planning to see him Thursday night and will try to get a definitive answers on that.

Parker going to be the last DB in this class?
Josh_M: ...lot of positives swirling lately.

Other than Parker, who are the offers to fill the last DB spot
Josh_M: It's going to be a CB, Baylen Buchanan, Eric Cuffee, and Byron Murphy.
Comment: Care to share what you know about Parker?
Josh_M: Not just yet.

Parker, Buchanan or bust at cb?
Josh_M: I think OU wants another corner but I really don't expect 'bust' to be an option.

Josh, expand our chances with Cufee.
Josh_M: It's STRICTLY connected to Parrish Cobb (his cousin) who is still working on him.
Comment: Eric Coffee visiting Notre Dame for the Texas game has to be a positive for everyone but texas

Josh, how is Tre Brown not invited to every game?
Josh_M: I get the impression OU isn't sold on him. And he struggled a bit in the SLC game so...maybe there is something to it.

Josh, how long for Moore?
Josh_M: Sounds like he may run it out until Xmas.

Any update on WR targets?
Josh_M: Nah, I kind of keep waiting for a new offer or two to go out.

Josh, any news or info on WR Williams?
Josh_M: Haha, no man, nothing since you asked last week. ;)
Josh_M: I know OU thought Williams had a lot of potential.

Does Baxter getting a ship affect wr offers?
Josh_M: I'm wondering that very thing. I don't have a definitive answer yet but I think it's possible.

So what's the story with the 2016 OK TE with the strange medical issue. Seems like a serious thing to take a chance on.
Josh_M: It definitely is but he has gone through a LOT of clearance to get where he is. I mean he played last week (and has been playing most of the summer) couldn't have happened without several doctors signing off.

Jparker1987: Josh do you see other surprises like Jarvis in this class what a nice get
Josh_M: Oh I think it's REALLY clear that over the past 2-3 years OU isn't afraid to keep scouring the JUCO ranks to find guys who can help. Baxter, Mittermeier, Feo, etc., etc.
Joe DuVall: One of them is the starting RT for the Eagles.

Any update on Juco OL. Julius. Baldwin. Autry?
Josh_M: No really need to catch up with Julious.

Lamar Jackson still an option? He is the best of the Cali bunch
Josh_M: I would probably agree but he is a pure safety and I just think OU is resigned that they don't have room.

Is the JUCO DE offer that is cousins with Dede still an option after Lampkin and Roberts made it in?
Josh_M: I need to confirm it, but my expectation is yes.

Josh, who leads for Hines?
Josh_M: OU and A&M. He likes Kish quite a bit.

Who leads for Jack Anderson? Tech can't be a legit option can it?
Josh_M: It can, big ties to his family.

Josh have you heard Bama is going hard after Draper?
Josh_M: I know they've been sending him plenty of mailers.

Josh, Draper still open to OU?
Josh_M: He is, I'm not going to be surprised if he shows up for a game.

Josh, any 2017 DBs OU leads for?
Josh_M: Not amongst their current offers.

Who as the DT last year that went to Tech because his brother went there? OU really wanted him IIRC. Family can be a really strong pull for sure.
Josh_M: Breiden Fehoko. I can say without a doubt OU LOVED him. Maybe wanted him as badly as any DL in the country.

How'd the commits do this week?
Josh_M: https://oklahoma.rivals.com...
Thanks Josh. Lot of tackles for Sylvie
Josh_M: you are right.

Josh, any players Barnes is tight with in Texas to bring to OU?
Josh_M: Plan to ask him about that - hoping to catch up tonight.

Lamar Jackson reminds me of Nic Harris but a tick faster
Comment: He looked solid. I think Raulerson should be looking to transfer to Sam Houston.

Eboh has to frustrate the staff like the early 2000's reçruiting vs texas.
Josh_M: Haha, yeah, can't help but wonder how he feels about that decision after SAT night.

Think OU slow played Eboh in favor of Parker and Buchanan
Josh_M: They didn't.

Josh, have you reached out to OUs recent 2017 RB offers?
Josh_M: Talking to Richardson tonight.

Josh I noticed Johncarlo in Trent's Twitter photos what are your thoughts on him is he just taking visits or do you since he really doesn't have a front runner
Josh_M: I think OU may have stepped into that role but I admit our conversation didn't tell me as much as I might have liked.

Surprised Valetin didn't at least flirt with the idea of committing?
Josh_M: Not really, it's tough for a guy from that far away.

Wilmer Hutchins DB offer still commitable?
Josh_M: I don't think so.
Comment: Wilmer Hutchins kid has to be upset with himself. Going to be passed over by Oklahoma and Texas fly taking his time. It's a shame for a guy that probably didn't expect to be highly recruited.

Thoughts on the skyline RB ward? Could be a great fit
Josh_M: I'd take Mulbah Car if I'm going to take another RB.

Any recruits we are battling Tenn for going to be at the game sat?
Josh_M: I'll check with our TN site later in the week, see who they are expecting.

I know Diesch is so quiet...but anything there anymore?
Josh_M: Yeah, he is still talking with OU.

Think the staff is going "home run or bust at a few positions now? I'm thinking so at DT, RB and final WR spot
Josh_M: I think that's 100% right. Though RB, I wonder if they won't rethink it around Xmas if they aren't feeling good about Whaley.
Joe DuVall: I've always thought Quan Hogan was an interesting choice for this offense if Whaley doesn't work out (even though I fully expect it to)
Note: It was a day later after the chat that OU offered another running back Brandon Stephens.

Current lineup/player questions/comments:

What can Bedenbaugh realistically do this week to get the OL up to par?
Josh_M: It's just getting them to talk more, that's where I keep seeing fixable problems - bad communication, or at the very least poor processing of communication.

I thought our d-line was decent Sat ... Am I right
Josh_M: Very solid. Not world-beating but it's a good start.
Joe DuVall: Have to be encouraged by Walker and Dimon.

Was there any noticeable difference in how they played vs Akron than they did with jerry m? Or is it too early to tell
Josh_M: Too early to tell, they were very vanilla up front. But I thought it looked more like 2013 than 2014 where they were more aggressive, shooting more gaps, etc.

Do you think with the OL issues last week, they speed up getting Frison back on the team?
Josh_M: Nope, never been the way OU and Bob works. Never known him to let discipline take a back seat to on field needs.

Any new lb's to play Sat?? Other than special teams?
Josh_M: You mean this coming Saturday? Or did some new guys play against Akron?

Josh do you know what happened with Quick and the other guys that didn't start or play
Josh_M: I do not.

Who is the backup center to dalton? Is it Alvarez or Dalton?
Josh_M: It's Erick Wren, walk-on from Arizona Western.

Does the air raid fit Perine running ability?
Josh_M: Ideally? No. But he has such good feet he can make it work.

I thought Dimon played really well on Saturday. I noticed him the much. Do you think he can keep it up?
Josh_M: I think he can because OU is being smart in the way they use him. Sliding him inside and letting him rush the passer.

Thomas still your pic???
Josh_M: Which Thomas and pick for what?
Comment: Thomas QB
Josh_M: Ahhh, I sure liked Mayfield on Saturday night but again I take a lot of stuff from that game with a grain of salt.
Comment: Still feeling Good about Cody Thomas? Can't believe how wrong you've been about him! Makes you look like you're opinion is foolish! Hope it doesn't hurt your business!!!
Josh_M: Did he play and I missed it? He played last year and clearly wasn't ready and wasn't good. Wasn't wrong about his talent, guy has loads of it.
Joe DuVall: I was hearing that he was the only one making NFL throws at practice. His skillset, improvement, and push for the starting job were and are very real.

Interested to see what Cale can do at the WR spot

If that were to be true, I would take BB any day over Martinez.
Josh_M: A very good point that I agree with 100%.

Kinda felt, once the penalties stopped, that Riley had a good flow in game calling. Something that I never felt a lot of with Heupel.
Joe DuVall: I thought the fact that OU had its full allotment of timeouts at the end of each half was a great sign.

I was very pleased to not see those 'Oh shit the clock is running out' timeouts that had become the norm. It just seemed a lot more organized on the sideline (both sides of the ball) than it has in a few years. Very positive sign to me.
Josh_M: Agree 100%, great point on the seeming organization and lack of chaos.

Thoughts on Mixon's performance against Akron. Is the oline can't block Tennessee then he won't do much.
Joe DuVall: Lost in Oklahoma's disappointing numbers running the ball vs Akron? Joe Mixon averaged 5.4 a carry.

Soonerfan60: I liked the big set OU ran Saturday. Would like to see some of that with some PA (play action). Loved the PA rollout to mixon

Josh, if we get by Tennessee this weekend do you expect us to start out at 9-0? Texas is struggling, didn't I hear kstate lost their starting QB..
Josh_M: I think it's possible. I mean I've said from the start of fall camp Oklahoma can win any game, but truth be told OU has developed a bit of a reputation of 'Clemsoning'.

Redzone comments and feedback:

Sooner Redzone: Well I think LR will be good. But there is still a lot of false hope out there for this team. We gotta long ways to go. After TCU and Texas we quit and the coaches did (last season)
Josh_M: We don't always agree but definitely interesting how sold everyone is after one week against a team with a VERY pedestrian offense, etc.
Comment: That doesn't make sense redzone
Speak in coherent sentences, redzone. You been drinking?
Sooner Redzone: I haven't been drinking but I just got off the phone with a friend going to Knoxville and he was.
Sooner Redzone: We were a much better team early last year and then got no better. Players and coaches quit
Comment: Redzone, stop stirring the pot. You have tried every chat for a while. You are a scorned ex lover...
Comment: Heupel
Comment: How does anyone that isn't in the locker room or in the coaches meeting know if a team or coaches quit?
Comment: Don't know if coaches quit, but some of players did
Comment: Did we have players leaving the team and faking injuries and refusing to go into games?
Sooner Redzone: But I don't think there is a chance in hell that happens this year. Love these coaches
Comment: That's exactly what I was talking about.
Comment: RZ that was last year... Things change year to year.... Given a chance be pronouncing doom
Sooner Redzone: Guest see my post that I love these coaches and no way that duplicates?
Comment: He may have been drinking, but that doesn't mean RZ is wrong. The team definitely regressed last year as the year went along. Quit may be a little strong (maybe) but we didn't get better each week as you'd expect from a well coached team.
Sooner Redzone: The defensive players lost confidence in the coaches and the coaches in them. You couldn't see that? The offensive players lost confidence in the offense and Heupel. We were never the same.

Sooner Redzone: What Riley did tremendous was tell the kids to trust the system and what happened exactly happened. The offense started clicking. Think they have tons of confidence from that to build on? Riley is a stud.
Sooner Redzone: Guys are going to have to remember LR is not like Heupel. He has a finite offense. There won't be anywhere near the new stuff week to week.
Joe DuVall: I know he left a lot in the bag on Saturday.
Comment: This coming Sat

Comment: Zone is picking Tennessee
Sooner Redzone: Gonna be a great game and a lot of drunk people are going to go out after watch parties and party more if we win. BTW I am not picking Tennessee as said. Haven't decided.

Sooner Redzone: The loser Saturday may fall on who plays the worst...the UT secondary or the OU OL.
Josh_M: you could very well be right.

Texas Longhorn questions and comments:

Thoughts on Norvell?
Josh_M: Pretty interesting process. I think he can do an ok job but pretty interesting to change playcallers to a guy who not only didn't design the offense but hasn't been there for more than about eight months.
Comment From Sooner Redzone: Interesting Norvell named UT play caller

Make of UT, Josh? Dumpster fire
Josh_M: I'm a buyer in Strong but man alive it sounds like he isn't getting a chance.
Comment From Jay Norvell: I love calling plays so much...I was so good I haven't gotten to do it in like 8 years!
Comment: It’s going to get ugly in Austin
Comment: This is why Texas isn't the job that everybody says it is. They can try and spin it as Charlie ain't messing around but the fact that you put 9 months into something and after week one you make a change means that you are a puppet and didn't have any idea what was goin on in the offseason with the offense
Sooner Redzone: I think old Charlie has a big problem. Recruiting is liable to come to a screeching halt if they fear he is gone.

What happened to Wickline calling plays in Austin? Isn't that what he supposedly left OSU to do?
Josh_M: I think the deal was Texas had to prove he was doing it last year, that he left for the job. I'm pretty sure it didn't have to be forever.

Comment From Jay Norvell
Josh, do I do better than Watson?
Josh_M: No.

Josh – did you see any of the horn game? Thoughts on Connor Williams?
Josh_M: I didn't, I had friends in town and was lucky to get to see most of the OU game - was chaos.

Tennessee game:

Striker lighting the match early.

I don't think much can be taken defensively from the Akron game. There were some positives on O, but how much stock you can place I it idk. I wish we played Tulsa this week and TN next.
Josh_M: Would be a really nice progression, no doubt about it. Agreed that offensively I think there are some things you can gather. Defensively, Akron was just SO bad, and SO generic.

Josh do you think we are in big trouble this week? I just don't feel good at all about what this team is going to face.
Josh_M: Big trouble? No. Tennessee's defense has PLENTY of issues. TO me it's all about OU's OL. If they can just be solid, OU can win. If they are like last week...OU loses, jst don't see any way around that.

Is butch jones overrated as a coach?
Josh_M: I think as an Xs and Os guy he isn't off the charts but he gets a LOT of the HC stuff that, IMO, sometimes evades Stoops. He sells his program, he recruits like a mad man, etc.
Joe DuVall: He's an impressive guy to listen to and he has their arrow pointed in the right direction.
Sooner Redzone: He has recruited well

Can't say OU has the defensive advantage until you see how mike stoops reacts under pressure.
Comment: I just said it
Josh I might of missed it showing up late but are you still picking the VOLS after a rough game of giving up over 400 yds passing? What do you expect us to put up as far as offense?
Josh_M: I haven't finalized my choice but yeah I'm leaning toward Tennessee.
If this thing turns into a semi shoot-out I think OU has the defensive edge on UT. That UT secondary looked confused.

So is joe picking OU
Joe DuVall: I'm leaning that way. But that OL on the road makes me very hesitant.

General:

Is Joe taking part in these chats?
Josh_M: He is welcome to, never made any of the guys come. Always up to them.
Comment From Joe_D
Josh still has the newbie waiting out in the cold.
Comment: Josh is a big believer in rookie hazing.
We have a NEW GUY sighting! Welcome to the party Joe! I see you are already learning to be fashionably late from Josh_M.
Joe DuVall: I have a few teachers who would say that tardiness started long before I met Josh.

Josh, prediction MSU vs Oregon?
Josh_M: I like MSU a little bit, Connor Cook is a better player than he ever seems to get credit for. I'm guessing something like 35-27 or something like that.

Do what you do.... Well

Anyone you know of from Rivals going to BA vs Coppell
Josh_M: IGO, I don't think so but I can find out.

Sooner Redzone: Soonerfan60 did you see Va-Tech run it for a TD on tOSU?
Reply: I did. But I was taking about the hurdle play. If he cuts that back inside and doesn't hurdle he probably scores. Guy was gonna overrun the play.

US looking terrible vs. Brazil. Can't get a touch of the ball

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.