ADVERTISEMENT

Chat Recap: September 22nd

usedtobe1

Sooner starter
Oct 8, 2008
Josh, Eddie, and Joe were all 3 in the chat from the Scoop staff.

Recruiting questions/comments:

Next commit?
Josh_M: Still going with Marvin Terry.
How does Marvin Terry compare to Deberry
Josh_M: Not as big a guy but a more explosive athlete, more natural in change of direction.

Who is the next commit after Marvin Terry? Jordan Parker?
Josh_M: Pretty safe guess based on what I've heard the last few weeks.

If we don't get Jordan Parker, who is the next most likely DB commit?
Josh_M: Baylen Buchanan.

What kind of relationship do Jordan Parker and Caleb Kelly have?
Josh_M: To my knowledge? Not much of one

Do you expect at least one commitment out of the WVU weekend?
Josh_M: I do.

Most important defensive position to get an elite recruit? On offense?
Josh_M: Defense = DE. Offense = OT.

Josh any word on Caleb Kelly UM visit?
Josh_M: I was told it went pretty well, don't know that it blew him away on an emotional level but that his mom liked a lot of the academic side of things - reputation, etc.

If OU feels good about Marvin Terry and Caleb Kelly, would they even accept another LB commit right now?
Josh_M: I think it's possible, I can't help but wonder if they might lose out on Jefferson that way, kind of a situation similar to Jacobs last year. I think that's a risk to do two straight years in New Orleans but think it's possible

Any Texas and or Ark commits looking for a nicer home?
Josh_M: Well you've got to keep an eye on Kellen Diesch with Arkansas and if I'm OU I'm trying to get Briston Guidry to take a visit - I love that kid's game.
Josh_M: As far as Texas, yeah I think there might be one looking around...
Josh, if I were looking at Texas current commit list, which position should I keep an eye on for a de commitment?
Josh_M: Haha, not yet.

Still think Tyrie Cleveland is a longshot?
Josh_M: No, think OU has made a run there.
Josh, who would you rather take Solomon or Tyrie Cleveland?
Josh_M: I don't think it's going to come down to that, have some WR news that Scoop has stolen. But let's just say I'm not sure one of those guys is still in play.
Comment: Soloman out. He went from naming OU a leader to saying FL is on TOS

Main competition for Tyrie Cleveland
Josh_M: A&M, TCU, Ole Miss.

Lets say Whaley is a Ga. silent for a minute...who, if anyone, will pop up on OU's RB board for 16?
Josh_M: I don't buy Brandon Stephens as a real target but I do know that OU is aware of a few other backs - I'm still not convinced OU thinks they HAVE to take a RB.
Joe DuVall: They recently offered Stanford Commit Brandon Stephens out of Texas. I've also been behind the bandwagon that Quan Hogan would be great in this offense.
Comment: What is going on with Whaley? Georgia lean?

If OU lands Daniels, Bledsoe, Kelly, Terry, and Parker is this as good a defensive class as they'll sign in a decade? On paper at least
Josh_M: I'd have to go over it and look because there are some great classes (on paper) that didn't turn out.
Joe DuVall: That's a good one, but TBH? I don't think it's better than last year's defensive class. DeBerry, Gallimore, Haughton, Mbanasor, McGinnis, McKinney, Overton, and Sunderland.

Comment: Anything on DL or OL targets?
Hook a ninja up with some DL reçruiting tidbits
Josh_M: Hearing some talk Chris Daniels might be big on OU right now, trying to check it around a bit.
What are you hearing on Chris Daniels?
Josh_M: Hearing some positives about Oklahoma.

Next O-line commit?
Comment: Anything on OL targets? Julious still a SCAR lean?
Josh_M: I might lean toward Valentin.

Anything with Ed Oliver?
Josh_M: So far, not a ton. Thinking I'll just have to go to Westfield and catch up with him.

Does Rowdy get an offer?
Josh_M: I think he should but I don't think he will.

Moore and Bundage seem to be leaning oSu...bigger loss for OU on the field or public perception about losing top in state talent to OkState? (whether Bundage has a commitable offer is debatable IMO)
Josh_M: I really don't think Bundage is a take for OU anymore. I do think from a perception stand point it stings a bit but it's not a game changer or anything as Bundage has the 'does he have an offer' question hanging over his head and Moore has qualification questions.

Chances on the two offers today? 5-10%?
Josh_M: I'll let Joe answer this one but think OU has a very real chance with Wallace, on Sermon = longshot.
Joe DuVall: Wallace really likes OU. I just wonder how much of a role his brother will play in recruiting. I think Oklahoma will be in it, though. Sermon is a guy who clearly appreciated the offer and its prestige, but he's a longshot, IMO.

Was Tyree Horton’s decommitment from FSU because his OU visit went so well?
Josh_M: Not directly but can't help but think that it might have pushed him over the edge to taking some more trips.
Is Horton an ILB or an OLB? Answer: OLB

Last I recall, WV is the only state in the union OU has never had a player from. Any chance of that changing in the next 3 classes?
Josh_M: Derrek Pitts has some very real interest in Oklahoma.

With WVU being an early game, any chance OU tries to push back some visits? Seems like a big risk with the quality of guys they are bringing in.
Josh_M: I think if they can get them in for the game, no reason to change it. If not, then yeah they'll have to move it around - would be self-defeating otherwise.
Joe DuVall: I think that will just naturally take care of itself. Guys that can get in, will. Guys that can't, won't, and then have to reschedule. Obviously it's something OU wishes it didn't have to deal with, though.

Wilmer Hutchins safety committing to mizzou Friday?
Josh_M: Wherever it is, won't be OU. Haha. At that point I can tend to check out a bit - particularly for a guy that I never bought OU as a real contender with.

If Austin or taylor transfer and sanchize leaves early, will OU go after another juco cb
Joe DuVall: I think if that scenario were to play out then I could easily see them offering another one.
Josh_M: I think it's possible, and if you see a JC offer happen (that OU has a real shot with) I think it may tell you they know something definitive w/ Sanchez.

Any chance OU signs a top 10 guy from Texas next year? Seems like it's been a while
Josh_M: Well you know they already have one committed, right?
Robison is top 10?
Josh_M: No. 9 in Texas.
Top for 16 and 17 or just 17? Answer is ‘17

Who's the number 1 guy with interest in OU (from TX) with no offer?
Josh_M: Jaylon Jackson (provided a link) https://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/player-Jaylon-Jackson-163554

Next commit from Florida?
Next international commit?

If OU doesn't sign a RB, think they go for an hback? Any chance Camron Williams could fit that mold?
Josh_M: That's an interesting idea, hadn't even thought about that.

Maybe the 2 new CBs have better speed (Cobb and the juco).
Josh_M: Both those guys are sub-4.5.
Joe DuVall: Cobb did have two long touchdowns on offense this week.

Duvernay all but locked for baylor with his brother committing there?
Josh_M: Kind of makes me think so.

Jack Anderson a Tech lock?
Josh_M: Not a lock but a big ole lean.

Biggest question I think. When does Mique Juarez commit. Clearly we are a true contender.
Josh_M: 100% in it.
What has changed with Juarez recently?
Josh_M: HAha, that was just a joke man, OU has ZERO shot there.

OU ever had a player from Puerto Rico?
Josh_M: What on Earth is going on here?
Just hearing some things

Current lineup/player questions/ overall team comments:

What classification is Baker?
Joe DuVall: Junior. But he and Stoops have mentioned appealing to get his transfer year back. That won't be until after the season, though.
Eddie_Rado: Currently a junior

Joe or Josh or Carey or Eddie, can anyone elaborate on what appeal Bob thinks he can get Baker another year of eligibility through?
Eddie_Rado: It would be an appeal to regain his loss of year being that he was a walk-on at Texas Tech, shouldn't have been forced to sit out a year AND lose a year of eligibility. I imagine that appeal process wouldn't happen until after the season. My understanding is the appeal would be with the Big 12. The good news? I'd think he has a decent chance of winning an appeal -- if he were to file one.

Defensive tidbits coming tonight, Eddie?
Eddie_Rado: There'll be more to come ... but did post some stuff before jumping over here.

What's the real story behind Thomas suspension this past weekend?
Joe DuVall: I haven't heard a thing as to why. Just know that it happened late in the week and caught some people off guard.

After watching OU’s defense against Tulsa’s offense, who you think benefitted the most: OU or Baylor?
Josh_M: OU, because they actually did it while Baylor just has some tape and honestly I don't know that OU showed a whole lot other than some variation in blitz/coverage combos.
Joe DuVall: A coach can tell you something 1,000 times, but it's until you see it for yourself or how your bad habits can get you beat that it truly sinks in as a player.

Was it the secondary or the defensive line that hurt us more against Tulsa?
Joe DuVall: Can I say both?

Do you expect some changes to the defensive starters for WVU? If so, what positions?
Eddie_Rado: I don't outside of Jordan Thomas stepping back in at cornerback.
Joe DuVall: Well, I'll be curious to see who starts opposite Sanchez at corner. Outside of that, no earth-shattering changes. I did hear that Charles Walker is starting to replace Tapper as a guy they just have to keep on the field.

Could Steven Parker take over at safety and Will Johnson at nickel? Likelihood?
Eddie_Rado: Definitely could but don't think it will happen unless there is an injury. Cooks told reporters tonight Hatari Byrd has played the best of any of the safeties through three games. That surprised me. Also said outside of one miscue Saturday Ahmad Thomas has played well.

Do you think the coaches are ready to give K Haughton (or Sunderland) a shot at Safety? I don’t think they were very pleased with A Thomas and Byrd’s play.
Eddie_Rado: Kerry Cooks said about the exact opposite tonight.

Austin Roberts make his debut in conference play?
Josh_M: Roberts played against Akron.

Is McGinnis gonna play this year?
Eddie_Rado: I thought he looked really good (physically) when I saw him after practice on Monday. Do I think he gets on the field this year? I'd still lean to probably not.
Joe DuVall: No, I think the coaches want him to have a redshirt year to shed some bad weight. But I wouldn't be shocked to see him as a guy emerge next year with some serious buzz. People really like him around the program.

Do you think Farniok will play OG at a decent level against quality opponent?
Josh_M: I think there is reason to think it's possible - a week ago I'd have called that notion crazy.

Josh how much was Mikey holding back
Josh_M: It's a good question but I thought OU was pretty base for the most part, lot of blitzes holding back, etc.

Is this team gonna tease us like last year?
Josh_M: Depends on what you're currently hoping for. If you think 10-2, then maybe not. But if you're thinking playoffs, then yeah.

Surprised to hear Stoops say “not soon” to the question about Frison being reinstated? Sounds like more than academics.
Eddie_Rado: LOL. It was definitely a 'stop asking about him, it's going to be awhile' type of answer from Stoops.
Joe DuVall: I think if he does the right things he'll be back, but I wouldn't count on hearing an announcement saying he'll be suiting up anytime soon.

Will Marcus Green bump PJ for the backup corner spot behind Jordan Thomas? He was already the backup for Sanchez but doesn't play much.
Joe DuVall: I don't think so. They really like Mbanasor's size and athleticism. His physicality leading to pass interference was always something they had to reign in. But he's a true freshman who had very little preparation against a tough offense. Can't imagine they pull the hook on him after that.

Is Striker costing us against Baylor offenses because of his small size?
Josh_M: I don't think his size hurts Oklahoma, I think it's him not being an overly flexible guy. Like Switzer, apparently, said if he isn't blitzing he doesn't have a ton of uses.
Joe DuVall: The Striker/Bond Nickel dilemma was something the coaches were keenly aware of before the Tulsa game. And Switzer isn't saying things the current coaches aren't.
Comment: Good question. Is Striker starting over Bond because of his reputation .... or is he better overall?
Comment: Striker gets manhandled more these days by big OTs.

Josh, could you see a starting Oline of Brown, Farni0k, Darlington, Kasitati, and St. John going forward?
Eddie_Rado: Alvarez ain't coming off the field, IMO.
Joe DuVall: What Eddie said.

Anybody know whatever happened to Will Johnson? Seemed primed after the Spring to get some playing time. Is he just not as good as the freshmen?

Eddie_Rado: I don't if it is a matter of something happening to Will rather than Steven Parker is just better. Don't see Will getting run at CB, and he's behind Parker at the nickel.

Most likely position change from current roster?
Josh_M: Quick to CB - would cure speed question. :)
Joe DuVall: There it is.
Would quick even be better than a backup corner we have
Josh_M: Right now? Doubtful. He hasn't done it for a few years.

Who's punter Kicker is better than OUr freshman?

What's meads problem?
Josh_M: Weird, I really thought he'd get moving.

Chip Viney's role at OU end this year?
Josh_M: I'm starting to bet OU finds some way to keep him on staff.

IYO...Boulware on staff next year?
Josh_M: Hard to find a reason why he wouldn't be.

Boulware is surprisingly bad at special teams coaching this year.
Joe DuVall: I'm as baffled by the punt return situation as you all. But I think their coverage units have been impressive.

Eddie, wtf is up with the safe punt return? Every other team I've watched at least engages in blocks. I almost feel like the defense is using it as a timeout. Several guys even turned their back before the punter kicked the ball
Eddie_Rado: It's a good question. One that I have myself. Just seems like it's a 'give up' when the punt ret. team runs out on the field. Where will Shepard fair catch this one at? Although I must admit Shepard has had a few returns that were good this year brought back by penalty.
Joe DuVall: I think Bob's the kind of guy who will get a roughing the punter penalty and then not try to block a kick again for five years
Comment: Until the Tulsa game, the punt/kick return units had multiple penalties in each game. Dimitri flowers often being the target.

Is OU lacking in athleticism at DB? I just can't help but think we are a slow secondary.
Josh_M: I think there is something to that, Zack Langer breaking big runs is NOT a good sign. OU tracked him down but should hvae been like Cheetahs tracking down a bear.
Joe DuVall: I was sure I was going to see Michiah Quick's name in Josh's response.

I'd make a bet that no starter minus Parker runs better than a 4.6 in the secondary. I understand that is faster than most realize, but you need elite speed somewhere to help compensate with the big 12. Makes sense why Baylor was recruiting Humphrey at cb
Joe DuVall: I think this is partly the answer to the "How do you stop offenses like Baylor?" question. At some point you have to figure out how to convince elite guys to play on that side of the ball.
Josh_M: I'd be surprised if parker is sub-4.6.

Why is Byrd so bad at safety?
Eddie_Rado: Cooks said tonight he's been the best safety out of the bunch through the first three games.
Comment: Hard to believe Byrd has been the best safety when he didn't even play against Tennesse

Do you think the coaches complimenting Byrd and Thomas is kind of a smoke screen because they know how they are perceived by fans?
Eddie_Rado: Maybe a little bit. But I don't think they have been nearly as bad as some people would like you to believe.
Joe DuVall: There might be some overcompensation there. But there also may be some overreactions by the fans.

PJ just needs to turn around and he will be fine. He got a little frustrated, but that's to be expected.
Josh_M: P.J. has to just focus on using his eyes and feet more and his hands less. He is a physical CB and falls back on that too often.

Next podcast?
Josh_M: Hoping this week but we're working on a few things to make it a bit more consistent.

General Sports:

OSU get another W in Austin this weekend ?
Josh_M: I don't think so, something tells me Texas turned a little corner last weekend. Something tells me they surprise Oklahoma State - who to me has been less than impressive to date. Although UTSA was a step in the right direction.
Joe DuVall: I'll pick OSU. But I won't feel good about it.

Tech surprising any of you mod types?
Eddie_Rado: I like the Texas Tech moneyline this weekend if that tells you anything.
Josh_M: Yeah, you've GOT to be impressed by Mahomes, so far guys like Mayfield and (a few others) have kind of overshadowed his performance.

Does TCU beat Taco Tech in Lubbock this weekend? And are you saying bc thats the "sexy" answer?
Eddie_Rado: I said above that I do. Think it's a good M/L for the betting type(s).
TCU seems on the verge of collapsing which is bad for OU currently. We need them ranked higher for our game
Josh_M: The good news? TCU doesn't play the league's two real threats to them until well OU and then Baylor.
Joe DuVall: Going to find out a lot this week.
TCU is really in trouble on defense. Should lose 2-3 games.

What if anything will happen with Baylor NCAA violation
Josh_M: I really doubt it, he'll probably get suspended for a game, etc.

Mods, how big of deal is the Baylor RBs coach being on the sideline? Is it something that should be severely punished or just kind of slap on the wrist? To me from the recruiting aspect, it could be a very big deal...
Joe DuVall: I've learned that more often than not in life things like this happen from people being stupid rather than nefarious. Don't think it's a big deal at all.
Eddie_Rado: Don't really see it as a huge deal. But do think it's a good reflection of the 'nose in the air ... don't look at us as doing something bad' aura that has molded itself around the Baylor football program. Just flatout disregard to for NCAA rules. IMO it starts at the top in Waco and there couldn't be a more arrogant man in charge. It'll catch up with them at some point.

You think OU is asking every recruit in attendance for Tulsa if jeff Lebby so much as waved to them? Stoops will kill someone if that happened
Josh_M: Agreed on all but again Lebby may not have known he shouldn't have been there (I still doubt that, it's a pretty well known and obvious thing) but messing with recruits? I just don't buy that.

Were you able to confirm if Baylor tampered with our recruiting during the game?
Josh_M: No, but I'll be honest I'd be very, very surprised to see any coach being that foolish.

I truly believe Lebby didn't have bad intentions. But I feel like OU could try and really lay it on them for this, even if the penalty is only a game suspension. Next question, has any coach ever had 3 assistants suspended during the season involving more than one violation?

Baylor needs to go down and if OU tips the first domino so be it.

Thoughts on the Bret and Kliff situation?
Josh_M: Love it, I can't keep enough popcorn in the house to keep reading.
Joe DuVall: It's great for college football. The game has always been more fun when there's some middle school cattiness to it.
Eddie_Rado: Love it as well. I'm in support of anything that ends with Bielema looking like an idiot

Jenni Carlson seems to get a free pass at questions that Bob would rip others a new one.
Eddie_Rado: Title IX, :)

Any chance of Stoops opening the practices up? Since you know, anyone can be on the visiting sideline.
Josh_M: No, I'm wondering if they are working to close out fans from live viewing, hahaha. ;)
Joe DuVall: Moving in the other direction, fam.

Mods, With Patterson out at UT do you think Strong is on an even shorter leash?
Eddie_Rado: From everything I've read it seems like the best thing that could have happened to Strong was Patterson leaving. That's just my opinion though. Regardless, Charlie Strong needs to win football games.
Joe DuVall: Texas has a lot of money. And money has a tendency to have more authority than athletic directors. He needs to win and please them.

Josh, I have 3 fantasy league teams. Drafted romo. Brees and luck. So far no Bueno
Josh_M: HAha, feel your pain, Manning in one league...ouch.

Joe, were you a member of the boards before you started working here?
Joe DuVall: I read them regularly, but never posted.
Joe DuVall: There are dozens of us. DOZENS!

Non-Sports stuff:

Is 300 the GOAT historical war movie?
Joe DuVall: Spies Like Us
Josh_M: Spies Like Us might be more historically accurate than 300.

If you could recast any actor in a movie for someone else, who would it be?
Joe DuVall: Eddie Radosevich for Thomas Ian Nicholas in Rookie of the Year
Josh_M: Without question, Josh McCuistion for Phillip Seymour Hoffman in 'Almost Famous'.
Eddie_Rado: That'd be so sick.
Josh_M: Or John Cusack in 'High Fidelity' anything where you're just talking music all day, I could lose myself in the role.
Josh_M: Meanwhile I will rock the HELL out of some Pacific Rim - such an underrated awesome action movie.
Comment: Josh as eminem in 8 mile. Leg tat he fits right in.
Josh_M: EIGHT MILE!!!!!

Se7en was released 20 years ago today. Just fyi. What's in the box?
Joe DuVall: Don't tell Blythe Danner.

If you had to have a mustache for the rest of your life, what one style would you choose?
Eddie_Rado: handlebar. So dirty. So fly.
Joe DuVall: Sam Elliott has a fine looking kitty tickler.
Josh_M: English, I'd be so pristine.

Best and worst fast food establishment? Any criteria you choose.
Eddie_Rado: Best: What-A-Burger Worst: Long John Silvers
Joe DuVall: Best: Since Eddie said Whataburger I'll go with Cane's Worst: Taco Mayo

Charlotte McKinney or Kate Upton?
Eddie_Rado: BOTH.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.