ADVERTISEMENT

Chat Recap: October 13th

usedtobe1

Sooner starter
Oct 8, 2008
SOONERSCOOP.COM CHAT - October 13, 2015

Josh and Joe were the only Scoop staff in the afternoon chat. The esteemed Smash Williams made a guest appearance.I wasn’t in the chat but made a couple of comments (Note: ….). I tried to group similar questions together to make it easier to follow and organized the recap by sections.

Josh_M: Sorry guys, had been staring at the clock and got distracted loading a story!
Comment: What is the story that is so distracting?
Josh_M: We're doing a new top 10 thing...going to rank CFB and Big 12 top 1-10 based on a poll of our staff.

Recruiting questions/comments:

Note: The recruiting questions are grouped below but I found it interesting that there were far less recruiting questions this week than normal, and most of those were about the offensive line.

Next 2016 commit?
Josh_M: I'm sticking with my RB pick but something tells me it's not Whaley or Speights.

Next 2017 commit?
Josh_M: I keep hearing to keep an eye on Charleston Rambo.

Josh, any committed players to other schools you ready to run with that are talking to OU?
Josh_M: I always tell you guys when ready. ;)

So does OU get any USC defects?
Josh_M: I think it's possible but no one I'm betting on at the moment.
Joe DuVall: I don't think OU would be the favorite for any, but you never know once you get them on campus.

Josh, where does the class finish as far as rankings?
Josh_M: I'm guessing 15-18.

Josh, any mention from your Rivals peeps about ranking changes for any of our commits?
Josh_M: Not that I've heard but haven't had a lot of conversations.

Is the TCU weekend shaping up to be the most talent in Norman ever?
Josh_M: I won't go that far but SR defensive talent then maybe you're onto something.

Josh should we be concerned TCU visit list is so large when TT is a more winnable game does not?
Josh_M: Nah, you're not going to drum up that kind of excitement for TT. You can't go into a game with the idea of 'we're going to lose'.
Joe DuVall: The Texas Tech game should have the #16 basketball recruit in the country, C Marques Bolden from DeSoto, in Norman on an official.

How close are Kelly and Juarez?
Josh_M: Oh they are buddies but if Kelly impacts Juarez I think it's more about playing with other real quality, etc.

Josh, the Viney / Kelly thing...don't you think the talk of Viney might not be in Norman next year has been discussed?
Josh_M: I'm CERTAIN it has, even if only in groundwork type of talk. 'You know, even if things don't work out for Chip here...' Type of talks.

What needs to happen for Juarez to land at OU?
Josh_M: UCLA needs to have some struggles and Oklahoma needs to win a LOT. That's going to have to happen and Oklahoma is going to have to convince him that he can start from day one.

The position group that gets the most help from this recruiting class is?
Joe DuVall: Linebacker.

Josh, any more info on LB Terry?
Josh_M: Nothing new so far.

Adrian Hardy seems to have a growing interest in A&M. Any idea if they still have room for him? It wouldn’t break my heart if he left as long as you replace him with a high quality athlete.
Josh_M: I'd have to ask around on A&M's situation.

Any idea if/when Lamar Jackson will visit?
Josh_M: None, I really think OU is being patient with him but I like what they are doing (at most positions but particularly at DB) I see Oklahoma continuing to pursue guys in case things shift around with numbers/current commits/etc.
Comment From Joe_DuVall
*Pokes head in*
Do you think Lamar Jackson reschedules?
Josh_M: Something tells me he'll visit.

Josh, Dillon Mitchell(Oregon WR commit), talking with OU?
Josh_M: haven't heard his name in a long time but can check.

OU needs a slot. Who do you go after realistically?
Joe DuVall: Keep working Devin Duvernay until he tells you no.
Josh_M: I think OU could do a LOT worse than Zach Hall from Tyler Lee: https://rivals.yahoo.com/ok...

What regional kid do you go get as an athlete and let him decide his position?
Joe DuVall: Can I go 2017 and say Quindon Lewis? Although, I'd imagine he'll end up at receiver.
Josh_M: Isaiah Simmons would be an interesting guy

Josh, any talk with OU and DB Tre Brown?
Josh_M: Almost none lately.

OL Recruiting:

Where is the sense of urgency to upgrade online recruiting? Holy cow, its in a bad state.
Josh_M: don't think it's a lack of urgency, think it's an issue with having to go outside of their region to find real help.

Was it last year a question of numbers regarding O-line recruiting or did we just whiff?
Josh_M: OU just missed out on some chances, obviously Wariboko being at the top of the list. I mean Dyer, Weathersby, Lanfear, Sutherland, Elbert, Williams, Akamnonu, etc. All guys in Texas that OU had a shot at and just didn't close.

Josh OL recruiting, what is going on? Is BB not getting it done?
Josh_M: I think last year was the problem there was SO much OL talent in the region and Oklahoma just didn't land enough of it.

Not enough heat for Bedenbaugh...We need help immediately. I saw where he's following a couple of Dodge City CC OL guys...Why are we only talking about taking 3 OL...think it needs to be 4 with 2 JUCO's
Josh_M: Four is definitely a possibility .
Comment: We have to up the number of Olinemen we take this year, yes? We have to have 5, right? please nod your head

Josh, are you still sticking with your last offensive line class predictions in scoop a few weeks ago?
Josh_M: Nope, I'd have Diesch off the list.

Josh, BB still chatting with Rowdy a little more?
Rowdy should be a must get now!!
Josh_M: He didn't show up at his game last THU in Norman so I'm guessing that ship sailed.
Josh_M: well, not sailed but is at least just in 'wait and see' mode.

Josh, you said you'd take off Diesch but wouldn't you take off Rowdy as well after going all in?
Josh_M: I'm just not sure, I think OU is going to have to go after Rowdy - I just don't see a lot of options - and certainly not many better ones.

Josh, is Juco OL the way to go? Only good one that comes to mind at OU is Loadholt.
Josh_M: I'm not a huge fan of hitting the JC ranks it's such a wild crapshoot.
Joe DuVall: Does Lane Johnson count?

Which Juco OL would you be going after if you were Bobby Stoops?
Josh_M: I've always been surprised Garrett Bolles hasn't been part of the equation.
Comment: BB should have been looking at juco a year before he got Danley if it truly takes 2 years to develop an OL. Poor planning on my opinion.

Josh, how many JUCO OL in this class?
Josh_M: I've always been told one but have to wonder if there is some shift in that.

Springfield, OH OT Darius Harper....guy OU needs to be involved with! Why aren't they?
Josh_M: I watched his tape, I'm not quite as enamored as yourself.
Josh_M: don't get me wrong, OU could do far, far worse but didn't strike me as a far underrated OT. That has a huge future with a few things falling in place.

Current lineup/player questions/comments:

What position is this team lacking athleticism in the most?
Josh_M: DL, just not enough difference makers. I mean if I said right now - 'how many DL play in the NFL from the current rotation'...what would you say? My guess 2 and one will be a cup of coffee type (Tapper).

Really shocked our o-line was so manhandled and the lack of tackling in the secondary.
Joe DuVall: It's shocking in the sense of how porous it was, but those have been problems for awhile.

How concerned should we be considering we lose Nila, Ty, Farniok, and St John to graduation? That's 4 of our top 6 rotation wise. Do we have enough young guys on the roster to upgrade next year?
Josh_M: From a talent standpoint? Yeah. But will there be a LOT of hiccups next year as well? Most likely. I like the talent of a group of Frison - Alvarez - Dalton - Danley/Ford – Brown

With Samia, Frison, and Brown isn't OG and Center more of a concern for next year than Tackle?
Josh_M: I forgot about Samia in my earlier mock up...he'd be my RG in that lineup, not Danley or Ford.
Joe DuVall: Jamal Danley not panning out has REALLY hurt OU in that area, IMO.

Think we'll see changes to o-line this weekend?
Josh_M: I really don't see it, I mean unless OU is just going to nuke it and go young - which I don't see.
Joe DuVall: They have shown they aren't afraid to play around with it. I'll go ahead and differ from Josh and say yes.
Comment: Or is it too early since we are not sure about what OU record will look like at end of season.

This week is key, if we win(??) maybe we can keep the RS on our young linemen. If not play them.
Josh_M: Interesting idea.
Joe DuVall: I've always been a fan of getting young talented guys experience for the future if you know your season is lost. But like Josh said earlier, that's never really been Stoops' MO.

Does Frison suite up for a game this year?
Josh_M: I'm going with no.
Joe DuVall: Don't see it.
Comment from Smash: Frison may end up on the sidelines, but he will not be up in a suite.
Comment: Frison be chillin in the suites at the Holiday Inn!

If OU doesn't have the talent up front defensively then why not get some of these young guys in there who are talented like Gallimore, Lampkin etc
Josh_M: As I've said it's tough to just tell your veteran guys 'we're throwing this year away for seasons you won't be part of'.
Joe DuVall: There's a lot more to playing defensive line than just being talented. Reynolds is a guy who stresses the details of the game and technique, so it's not a shock that he's not just throwing young guys out there.

Quick start getting a bigger role in the offense?
Joe DuVall: I'll be interested to see the split between he and Baxter's reps on Saturday.

Josh, any idea why Andrews and Mixon are not being used more?
Josh_M: I can't make heads or tails of it.

If you’re Perine and things stay the same way the rest of the season, do you transfer?
Josh_M: Probably not, I mean to spend a year sitting out and then play another season? You waste a year of NFL eligibility. If I'm deciding to transfer, I might go with just sitting out a year and training.
Joe DuVall: I think Samaje is the kind of guy who will just keep working and doing what he's asked to do. I'm more of an a-hole, so I'd probably at least have a conversation with my OC.
Comment: He & Joe are better riding it out until they can leave & go to the NFL

If I'm Perine, have I showed enough to scouts to be taken high in the draft? If not, I'm moving on to a power running team.
Josh_M: I don't think Perine is ever going to be taken high in the draft honestly. He's a 4.65 guy.
Josh_M: and, of course, he's a running back.

Perine = NFL
Joe DuVall: I think he'll have a long career.

Perine is every bit as good as Jerome Bettis was in college. Too early to tell if it will translate to the next level.
Josh_M: Was a different era of the NFL draft.

I'd like to see Dalton rotate in at guard, and the freshman rotate in at safety.
Josh_M: Both great ideas IMO.

Watching Ahmad Thomas chase after the RB on the 81 yard TD showed how slow we are at safety... along with Byrd... certainly we move one of those boys to the bench and just let Parker be a safety. Byrd should never sniff the field and Thomas isn't much better
Note: On the Foreman run Parker blocked Byrd in the back as he was about to tackle Foreman at the 20. Parker and Thomas gave chase but neither caught him. Jordan whiffed a tackle, Striker knocker Sanchez off stride when he could have caught Foreman at the 50 and Sanchez looped around and made the tackle at the other 10 yard line.

Josh or Joe, is Byrd our best option? Looks slow.
Josh_M: No, THAT is a spot where I'd be running out options to see what you can find.
Joe DuVall: I'm a HUGE fan of all the freshmen safeties and probably a higher on McKinney than most. Any of those guys would be more athletic and fluid than Byrd. Like I've been saying, though, the coaches seem to like what they've gotten from Byrd.

Is Flowers the worst special teams player you can remember? I would love for someone to add up his penalties for the year.

Can we write Danley off at this point?
Josh_M: May have to.

Dalton Wood update?
Josh_M: We'll wait until he has been on campus for a week (rinse and repeat).

State of the OU program:/ Overall Team comments/ Coaching:

Josh, what team do you expect to show up in Manhattan this Saturday?
Josh_M: I think you'll see a focused group, I've said it for years but as soon as people start buying into Stoops' teams is usually when they fall apart. When he can tell them (and they believe) 'no one respects you'...he tends to get his best performances.
Joe DuVall: This game might be better for this team than say, a home game vs Iowa State. For some reason this group lately has needed some adversity first before they play with some edge.

A SOONER loss IN KS this weekend ROCKS the foundation of the OU program--true or false?

Josh, Stoops pulls a Spurrier and suddenly retires, who do you go after first?
Josh_M: I wouldn't even waste the time calling Tom Herman (U of Houston coach, offensive coordinator at Ohio State last year), I'd just show up at IAH. :)
Joe DuVall: <<< Herman's hermit.

What was glaring to you Saturday? And what surprised you?
Joe DuVall: I was truly shocked by the offensive performance and the lack of adjustments. Texas' secondary is abysmal, but there was no need to continue with the deep shots and forcing Mayfield to hold on to the ball for even longer.

Josh, is the St. John foot issue a result of OU not having enough quality control staff to scout our own team and tendecies?
Josh_M: It does make you wonder how OU didn't notice it, right? But to be fair, I watch the tape and didn't see it either.
Joe DuVall: My first thought? How does an OU defender who goes against him every day in practice not notice it?

Scoop: Is BB overrated?
Josh_M: Not IMO.
Joe DuVall: I've heard nothing but positives from players and recruits. Can't get too wrapped up in one recruiting cycle, because there are so many variables.

Agreed that LR got outcoached big time?

Were you an OU fan, would you be as upset with Mike Stoops' performance on Saturday as most are?
Josh_M: I think it's the preparation that is frustrating - I mean no work against Swoopes' set?
Joe DuVall: 24 points isn't dreadful, but the poor tackling, preparation, and energy would concern me. I thought Lincoln Riley, by far, had the worst performance, though.

Was Mike's performance inexcusable? Has the game passed him by?
Josh_M: Inexcusable? No, not really but it's definitely part of an ever growing problem.
Joe DuVall: This isolated performance? Not even close. But in a macro sense, even he would tell you the defense is nowhere near where it needs to be.

So much for Mike being in the press box helping. He can't see the field either way?

Is Mike Stoops still on staff at OU next year? If so, will it ultimately cost Bob Stoops?
Josh_M: I think Mike will be on staff. And it depends on what you mean 'cost Bob Stoops'.
Joe DuVall: Lots of football to be played and too much is unforeseen. I think there's a scenario where Mike is let go, but at this point I don't see that happening.

Why in the hell did we trot out a 2-4-5 look when all Texas was doing was running it down our throats?
Josh_M: Baffling to me, and I got last week when they were trying to get Bond AND Striker on the field but Lindley? What's the push there? I don't understand it.
Joe DuVall: ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Honest assessment - are our LBs bad or is it scheme?
Josh_M: I don't have a huge issue with the scheme, in fact it's better than I've seen from OU in a little while honestly. However, I don't think they are an exceptionally talented group. But in a 30 front you've GOT to keep OL off your LBs and OU just doesn't have the DL to pull that off.

Hats off to Norvell! Having said that, can't believe we didn't adjust to their run game?
Josh_M: It's being unprepared for it that is baffling to me.
Joe DuVall: Just a random observation - but that guy can get his receivers to block with the best of em.

Has an OU defense ever been this low on guys that generate turnovers?
Josh_M: Sure, 2012. :)

Have we entered into the "it is what it is" stage of Stoops career?
Josh_M: I had just started to think maybe not but seeing the response to the loss, I may be thinking this is just kind of what the team is. HOWEVER, I Think better talent is coming in than is on campus. Oklahoma just dug itself SUCH A hole with poor hires in late 2000s to early 2010s.
Joe DuVall: Every time Bob Stoops has me thinking he's regained "it," Oklahoma slips right back into that limbo they've been in.

Would it be better for the overall program for OU to have a terrible season, have Bob "retire", and then go after Herman? Or have a decent season, 10-2 or 9-3, continue some recruiting momentum (esp. on the defensive side) and try to compete for championships over the next 2-3 years?
Josh_M: I think continuity would be good for Oklahoma. There has been SO much change over lately so changing it all the way around is risky. But hard to deny that Herman wont be at Houston long.

You look at a Harbaugh or Strong and you see real passion (from the coach and players alike). Does Stoops provide/instill that to his players anymore? It doesn't seem like they respond to it, if he does?
Josh_M: I don't know that you've ever seen a lot of that from Bob, he gets excited from time to time but even when winning NCs he was never a 'rah-rah' type of coach.
Joe DuVall: Players can tell if their coach isn't being authentic. Bob is Bob. And the guys respect that.

Would we be better off letting Stoops move along rather than having to fire him when he craters for third year in a row in 2016?
Josh_M: I'm not really sure how to answer that, it assumes a lot.

Who has had a better career: Spurrier or Stoops?
Josh_M: Spurrier - always stuns me he didn't have more than one NC.
Josh_M: People tend to forget that Florida was a secondary school prior to his arrival - far, far from the power they are seen as today.

What sort of affect does Spurrier retiring have on Stoops? I cant help but think he tells Bob to either recruit lights out or turn the lights off.
Joe DuVall: That's an interesting thought and I've always seen Bob as a guy that will hang it up earlier than most, but I don't think he's at that point quite yet. I could see him calling Spurrier to see if he would come be a consultant or just give some input.

Spurrier couldn't recruit quality QB's to South Carolina anymore....without quality QB's to play with, he lost interest.

Spurrier consulting on our Air Raid offense is not a good sign IMO
Josh_M: Really? To me if there is ANY guy who can tell Stoops he is getting it wrong and force him to listen, it's Spurrier.

General Sports:

Joe, what games are you seeing this weekend?
Joe DuVall: I'm going to have to sift through the schedule a little more before I decide. Mustang/Southmoore would be a ton of fun, but I've already seen both teams this year.

Josh, can USC manage to snag someone like Sumlin? Do you see him leaving College Station for something other than the NFL?
Josh_M: I do, I think that's a setting that would fit him very, very well. But Sumlin has a bit of a riverboat gambler reputation...are they going to go extremely straight laced with their next hire?

Joe DuVall: Chip Kelly to USC would be bad news for the rest of college football.
Chip Kelly's offense at USC would send old Trojans to their graves. So much for student body left/right.
Joe DuVall: Their receiver talent is just filthy.

Josh, thoughts on Malik last weekend? Kid is going to be a star.
Josh_M: I take great pride in being the guy who put him on Rivals. Been a huge fan from day one, he'll be an NFL guy.

They actually ran the Blake Bell package successfully against us...the horror!

Tee Shepard gave up football last week (quit Ole Miss). Would he have survived a semester with Mike Stoops?
Josh_M: No, that situation was always too weird for words.

Non-Sports or funny stuff:

Coup de grace, I nominate Smash to host this chat!! It would be the best thing since spiced bread!!!
Comment: Are we being trolled? That would be funny

From Smash: Now you guys know how I felt when Josh answered every question but mine last week on Orangebloods.
Josh_M: BAM!

Where would you want to go on vacation during a bye week if you were Bobby Stoops?

What is your best leverage?

Is there a Rivals board for tennis, gymnastics and/or softball? I hate stupid football. I want to root for a winner.
Joe DuVall: I'll watch me some softball.

Hey Joe, if they can't pitch and catch, at least they can run and block, aye?

Comment: Josh hasn't posted in 13 minutes (Note: Changing diaper?)
Josh_M: And NOW I'm caught up...SPEAK YOUR MIND PLEBES!
Joe DuVall: I'm nipping at your heels, Cuishy.

Comment: Do you feel that the UT players played with more emotion because Bevo was not on the sidelines? Win one for the t-bone steak fry!!!!! (Note: I thought that was funny)

Any chance we go after Thomas Johnson now that he has been officially released by the Aggies?
Note: Accused of murder

Comment: If Bobby retires, how in the world will they ever sell that house? Would be hell of a frat-house huh?

Conclusion:

Josh_M: Alright guys, we've gone about 10 minutes over.
Josh_M: Enjoyed it!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.