ADVERTISEMENT

Chat recap 11/3/15

SoonerInBham

Sooner signee
Aug 16, 2010
Alabama
Here you go...

The middle linebacker from Georgia, mbesse or whatever, really like his film... Do we have any shot with him? We're in his top 8 and Juarez probably won't happen so could he be a possible commit?

Josh_M: I think he is a very good possibility. No sure thing or anything like that but Oklahoma is a real contender.

Do you see any burgeoning pipeline schools in the DFW area?

Josh_M: Not really, I mean the schools Ou has done well at EVERYONE recruits and I don't see Ou cornering the market or anything.

CB spot Buchanons if he wants it?

Josh_M: That is definitely my understanding.

Any news on Daniels, Cleveland, or Kelly?

Josh_M: Daniels I keep hearing may decide before his expected Dec. 18 announcement.

Your thoughts on Chandler’s de-commitment – crushing, fortuitous or meh?

Josh_M: I don't know if it's any of those, just something Oklahoma can cope with and I think can find a slightly better fit - more HS help. To me you get JCs if you HAVE to have immediate help and don't have someone ready to play.
Joe DuVall: Part of me wonders if the Sanchez injury has something to do with it.

Josh, perhaps the biggest question of the night, Did Chandler decommit because someone else is close to being on board?

Josh_M: I think it's just a matter of OU deciding they needed more help from youngre CBs as well as perhaps not feeling Chandler had been as food this year as last.

What needs to happen for Lamar Jackson to be a part of this class? Am I missing something with him? He seems as close to elite as OU is getting in this secondary this year.

Josh_M: It's just Oklahoma having #s at LB and/or S. They don't have a lot of room for him. Can't just create space that isn't there. Particularly when Oklahoma signed a lot of quality safeties last year and has a lot of LBs they are true contenders for this year.

Anyone visiting this weekend?

Josh_M: I've heard of potentially four, working to confirm all of them though.

Any news on O line recruiting? Diesch, Frederick, etc

Josh_M: Nothing breaking that I've heard. Which makes me think OU has some confidence in current targets.
Josh_M: But to me? Take both, I think Rambo has near unbelievable feet with a guy of his size. Honestly reminds me some of Trey Metoyer.

I know that OU recruits later than most, but our "average star" isn't up to snuff either. How do we kick it in gear?

Josh_M: I think this year OU has been even slower than usual due to all the coahcing turnover, I think next year you'll see more of the norm (riding in the mid-high 20s and closing in the low-mid teens).
Josh_M: But I think it's just a matter of landing Caleb Kelly and some other big name guys and they'll close probably somewhere from 17-20.

Josh, next decommit?

Josh_M: Ouch.

OU wouldn't cut chandler loose if they didn't feel confident on someone else.

Josh_M: I think they know there is probably a guy they can get help from (at CB or another crucial position) that can be a bigger aid for 4-5 yeras than Chandler for two.

Is there a 5 Star in the class of 2017 that can ignite our recruiting? I used landing top 5 classes and that seems to be a thing of the past. We're now satisfied with top15.

Josh_M: I don't see any one guy that is going to do that, haven't seen that player that everyone just acknowledges 'is better than everyone else' ala Peterson, Clowney, etc. But Marvin Wilson is a guy OU has a true chance at.

Will OU get ANY 5-stars in the '16 class?

Josh_M: Yeah, Caleb Kelly.

Making more in roads in Tx with the new coaches? Cooks, Simmons, and Riley?

Josh_M: Well I don't thikn that's any of those guys particular areas of focus (though Cooks does) but all three of those guys are clearly quality recruiters. Riley is almost like having an extra recruiter because OCs are so rarely quality recruiters.

Is Garnett an NG or is he flexible enough to play Walker's spot at end too?

Joe DuVall: Nose. Garnett isn't the athlete Walker is.

Who do you see the Sooners ending up with at running back?\

Josh_M: I'm going with either A) no one or B) someone who doesn't currently have an offer.
Joe DuVall: One thing to consider if OU does end up with no running backs in this class, they'll have an entire year of Perine/Mixon in the spotlight, three years out of high school, and no running back in the class before. It's not hard to see the pitch to a big-time RB in the 2017 class.

Next commit?

Josh_M: I think one will happen this weekend, but again...working to confirm the name of the player I'm expecting.

2017 Mansfield wide receiver vs charleston Rambo. Who you got and why? I like the school Rambo comes from, but I like the Mansfield kid more based on upside.

Josh_M: I think Adebo could end up playing S, he is a guy with so much raw athleticism.

One 2016 okpreps kid you'd offer not named Rowdy?

Joe DuVall: I think OU will find guys with more upside at the position, but they won't find a better pure linebacker than Jimmy McKinney.
Josh_M: There isn't anyone I love for an OU offer (I'm a big Drew Dan fan but OU doesn't have a spot for him). But I can't lie, I think Terry Wilson could be a guy that everyone looks back on and says 'how did we not see that coming'. He has WILD, WILD, WILD potential.

Receiver, what up with all the new offers?

Josh_M: I can't help but wonder if Oklahoma found a guy or two who may be thinking of leaving. But more than anything I think OU realizes they've got some talented young guys but none that are ready to take the reins from Shepard.

Josh, the visitor you are looking to confirm that may commit, would he be an official or unofficial visitor?

Josh_M: Official.

Recruits are typically polite and non-committal in your published art. Do you sense that any of our coaches are truly making a big difference? I'm talking "second father".

Josh_M: I think Cooks is that type, guys react really strongly to him - if it doesn't come across in their stories, it does in their words.

RB? See Trayveon Williams likely to flip to a&m. Sleights to OU then?

Josh_M: I don't know that A&M is the real comp for Speights, have felt they were slow playing him for a while. Though there is always the question of 'does he realize it'.

Which of the 2 QB commits has more upside/talent?

Joe DuVall: Robison, IMO.
Josh_M: agree with Joe, Robison is a bit more of a natural playmaker and to me has a little more arm and just that uncanny stuff.

Any small Ok school players OU looking at?

Josh_M: Not in this class.

Abdul Adams? Any is it set?

Josh_M: I think a visit is still likely to happen.

Josh, not feeling good with OU and speights?

Josh_M: I don't know just something about him not pulling the trigger, makes me feel like he may have missed the opportunity.

Would OU take Darran Williams or Adkins?

Josh_M: No, OU isn't going to offer those two. But yeah they'd welcome them as walk-ons I've got no doubt.

Josh, Michigan St going to take care of NU this week comfortablely?

Josh_M: Yeah, NU is in a free fall.

Josh, When might we get the visit list for the weekend?

Josh_M: I need to get one started. Can say Brey Walker was goign to come but decided he'd rather see OSU/TCU.

Josh, any committed prospects talking to OU you can tell us about?

Josh_M: Well, I mentioned Abdul Adams, Velus Jones and Derrick Willies are obvious from the offer earlier this week. Another...Parker Boudreaux, obviously Baylen Buchanan, Ed Oliver, and Cliff Chattman. And as mentioned...Briston Guidry.

I know you love his game. Anything to the offer for Guidry and OU? Or has the ship sailed too far?

Josh_M: Well you'd have to think with Arkansas struggling he might have some interest. But I'm guessing he has been in with the Hawgs too long.

Josh, OU lead for OL Moore?

Josh_M: Yes. Talked to a few people about that when I saw JM last wek - think OU is in good shape.

Josh, Any info on where things stand with Brandon Burton from his perspective? I have heard the staff is still very much pursuing him. Would they be pursuing him as an athlete at this point and if he chooses OU just let his position (DB/WR) work itself out?

Josh_M: That's my guess, I think they like him better at S (though that seems to change from week to week) but they aren't closing the door on WR.

Was amani in Lawrence?

Josh_M: He wasn't, was on an official to NC State.

Josh, any recruits Bob is personally involved with more than others?

Josh_M: None that I've heard in particular but there is no question that he is more involved this year.

Any updates on Sci Martin or Stephon Taylor?

Josh_M: Think OU leads for Sci and with Stephon there are some grade concerns - think OU may/may not push hard depending on Chris Daniels.

Josh, any 2017 OL offers for any instate players?

Josh_M: Adrian Wolford is an OU offer IMO. I think Meservy, Andre Harris, and Creed Humphrey are all also possibilities.

Darrian Franklin still in play ? Seems like he's too much like Youngquist/Kelly.

Josh_M: Yeah, feels like OU backed off him along with most everyone else. I've really not heard his name since his visit.

Assuming we finish strong this season and really make some noise next season (NC contenders), is there a possibility LR leaves after 2 seasons?

Josh_M: If OU makes the playoff next year I think LR could very possibly get a head coaching job.

Any real chance with Velus Jones?

Josh_M: Yeah, I think so, I don't think that USC commitment is that solid.

Josh, how many commits does OU get this month?

Josh_M: I'm going with three.

Josh, what type of coverage can we expect this year from Rivals as far as the all star games? Do any of you get to cover any?

Josh_M: I'll be flying out to California for a few days at Semper Fi - Austin Kendall, Bryce Youngquist, Parrish Cobb, Amani Bledsoe, Marcel Southall,
Josh_M: I'll also be around the Army game all week.

Anything to the Briston Guidry offer?

Josh_M: Other than it should have happened FOREVER ago? I freaking love that kid, blew me away when I Saw him last year against Geismar Dutchtown.

Who is Briston Guidry?

Josh_M:
http://sports.yahoo.com/okl... - Guidry and here is the story from when I saw him last year:https://oklahoma.rivals.com...

Josh, how are Moore's grades going?

Josh_M:
I haven't heard anything that would change my thought that him qualifying is a longshot. Again it's not like years past where you can just overwrite classes from years past.

Josh. Seen any kevonte turpins in this class?

Josh_M:
Velus Jones? I think that kid's film is top 100 good.

Josh, I'm no scout but I've seen Brey walker at least 6 times this year and besides his size I can't see what all the fuss is about. I know he is still young but there was some talk on here at one point about him being a 5 star and to me that's VERY far fetched. What do you think?

Joe DuVall:
When I saw him live, I tended to agree with your sentiment. He's not an overly aggressive guy and seemed to blend into the game. But you have to keep reminding yourself that he's a 6-6 320 lb 16-year-old with a near ideal frame in Oklahoma's back yard.
Josh_M:
He may not have regressed this year, but he hasn't made the step forward I'd hoped to see from him. That said he still has tremendous potential and he is far from the first big OL to be a bit softer than you'd like.

What position is possible OV this week?

Josh_M:
Well ther eis more than one, I'v eheard four OVs this weekend.

What are the chances that the NCAA grants Mayfield an extra year of eligibility? (not really "extra" though)

Josh_M: 20%
Joe DuVall:
Trying to predict what the NCAA is going to do is like trying to predict a chess game played by ostriches.

I think Dickson the whorn commit is the best replacement for sterling out there. Do we have a chance?

Josh_M:
IMO? Not really but he is so quiet...think everyone is guessing.

Josh will he be closer to a 3 star or 5 star?

Josh_M:
5 star, I'm not overwhelmed with him but it's so early, lot of time for him to get back on track.

There's a lot of quality ball players on southmoore'a offense.

Joe DuVall:
No doubt. Huge fan of Quindon Lewis.
Josh_M:
you tell no lies my man. And I'll tell you what they've got a 2018 RB (transferred in so he couldn't play this year) that they think is going to be ELITE.

Whats his name josh?

Josh_M:
Name is going to escape me, they introduced me last spring. But they really heaped some serious praise on him. Though I admit Southmoore can get pretty excited about their prospects.

Southmoore has the offense to challenge for a title but as usual with the westwide jenks and union have mind control.

Josh_M:
And they are more consistent defensively.
Josh_M:
which is why Mustang gave Union more trouble than did Jenks.

Seems like the D lineman from southmoore hasn't had the best year either. Jones I think.

Josh_M:
yeah, guy has mountains of potential but just hasn't put it all together consistently so far in his career.

Throw out your '16 O-line class. Brown and Samia have progressed well but I'm so worried about that position the next few years.

Josh_M:
Joe, well any other week I would bu tyou'll ruin all the fun of commit picks this week!

Will Lewis get a serious look from ou?

Josh_M:
I think it's possible but I'm not sure I See him as an OU level guy right this minute. He is slowly changing my mind but just for right now I'm not sure he is in that place.

Is OU done with Baccus? Or are they leading him along in case things don't work out elsewhere at this point?

Josh_M:
I think they are making sure to stay in touch with as many targets as possible. But no I don't think Baccus ends up in OU's class.

OG: Frison/Julius C- Alvarez/Dalton

Josh_M:
Uncanny how much better Alvarez looks at C than LG.

Is courtney garnett healthy yet?

Josh_M: Great question, I'd bet Joe/Carey/Eddie could find an answer on that.
Joe DuVall: I'll ask around.

Do players from Kansas tend to under-achieve? So many have peaked at early stages.

Josh_M: Ehh, I think there are just so few at a high level that you just don't get a lot of the high end guys.

Close game Sat.... Or just another game??

Josh_M: I bet it's close at half. But I'd bet OU wins something like 44-17
Joe DuVall: I don't think OU will ever feel like they've lost control of the game. That doesn't mean you won't see Iowa State compete.

Charlie strong survive 2015?

Joe DuVall: Yes.
Josh_M: Indeed.

Jay Norvell cost himself any chance at being a play caller after this year?

Joe DuVall: He didn't exactly light the world on fire at Nebraska and UCLA either. Recycling coaches is a past time of college football.

Josh..Chances of making the final 4 if we go undefeated in % and in your honest opinion chances in % that we will?

Joe DuVall: 90% OU goes if undefeated. 10% chance they do it.
Josh_M: 90% is probably right from Joe, I'd say about a 20% chance. TCU may be finding their feet and that would drop my #. But I don't think OSU is special and Baylor's defense is showing holes (though that's where I think is their most clear problem).

The one coach who gets MVP award so far. Reynolds, Riley, cooks, etc? I'd have to go with Reynolds just because he didn't inherit a whole lot and I just love the way Dimon, Walker and the whole unit is playing.

Joe DuVall: Hard to argue with what Cooks has done with that secondary.
Josh_M: I'd agree on Cooks the gulf from last year to this year is unthinkable.

One Current coach who shocks everyone and takes an open job elsewhere?

Joe DuVall: For awhile I would've said Mike Gundy.
Josh_M: Hmmm...good question, let me think on that.

LSU beats Bama this weekend and Michigan State will fall as well. Iowa is one to watch.

Josh_M: Iowa will lose by 2-3 TDs to whoever comes out of the East.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.