ADVERTISEMENT

Charles Walker

JConXtsy

Sooner starter
Aug 2, 2001
What happened to Charles? I thought the OU coaches were being kind enough to let him perform at the OU Pro Day, but I don't see any results for him.
I was hoping to see some insane numbers for a DL. Did he withhold due to injury or was he ultimately turned away for being a team-quitting wimp?

I read he did good at field drills. Not sure on other stats. I guess he had too many concussions, that is why he left team early.

Defensive lineman Charles Walker, who left the team in November to prepare for the draft following multiple concussions, was the last former Sooner to finish his workout. The 310-pound lineman ran the 40 yard dash in the second group of defensive linemen Sunday morning posting a 4.96. A day earlier, Walker did 25 reps on the bench press.

Walker also recorded a 28-in vertical.
LATEST NEWS I READ.

Walker quit on the team during the season to prepare for the NFL. Maybe it is just me but I find myself not even caring how he is doing for the upcoming draft. I know that probably is not the right way to think about this but I cannot help myself but think that.

Walker quit on the team during the season to prepare for the NFL. Maybe it is just me but I find myself not even caring how he is doing for the upcoming draft. I know that probably is not the right way to think about this but I cannot help myself but think that.
Depends. A lot skip bowl games, and with Walker he had concussions.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
Depends. A lot skip bowl games, and with Walker he had concussions.

SFnL, I think it's well-documented that he wasn't a shining star in the eyes of the coaching staff. I think they pretty much said flatly that he quit on the team. The concussions were one thing, but I think he was cleared to play way back in November.

It's even in his NFL.com draft bio. Talks about what a physical beast he is, but that it was always difficult to get consistent work out of him, and that the NFL scouts were likely to receive a lot of negative press about him from the OU coaching staff.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/charles-walker?id=2557999

WEAKNESSES
Has had concussions in each of last two seasons. His football character called into question by coaching staff after he failed to come back from October 1 concussion and left team with two regular season games remaining to prepare for NFL draft. Effort level and motor fluctuates. Was a relative non-factor in all four of the games he played. High cut and struggles to maintain his ground against double teams. Lacked urgency as a pass rusher that he showed in 2015. Needs to add a rush counter when initial charge is foiled. Will lay on blocks at times. Needs quicker shed with tackle-ready posture.
SOURCES TELL US
"I'm not really a fan but I'm sure our coaches will be. He has talent but he's just so inconsistent. He has quickness and strength but then will just disappear during the game. He has enough flashes on tape that I'm sure our coach will want to work with that." - NFC regional scout

Looking back at bio he wasn't highly recruited. I wonder what our coaches saw.

He barely played high school football until he was a senior, and he didn't attend many camps (if any).
He had size and agility, so he was just seen as a raw talent. Our coaches hoped they could harness it. He showed some flashes that they'd be able to. Ultimately, they were wrong.

He barely played high school football until he was a senior, and he didn't attend many camps (if any).
He had size and agility, so he was just seen as a raw talent. Our coaches hoped they could harness it. He showed some flashes that they'd be able to. Ultimately, they were wrong.

That worries me JCX: If our staff doesn't have the ability to scour the lands to sign big talent that Bama or Clem misses, perhaps its time for Joe to get out the checkbook for another headhunter...

That worries me JCX: If our staff doesn't have the ability to scour the lands to sign big talent that Bama or Clem misses, perhaps its time for Joe to get out the checkbook for another headhunter...

True, but this was also 2013 when I think we all know that recruiting was a major deficiency of the program - especially on the defensive line. Can you name a defensive lineman from the last handful of years at OU that was a household name? Any Tommie Harris', Gerald McCoy's, Dan Cody's, and Jimmy Wilkerson's?

You can name a few guys that maybe had potential but didn't really give us a complete college career of highlights - Charles Tapper maybe?

Reactions: iasooner1
Would love to see any of you call him Nancy or anything like that to his face.

Some of y'all get way to anally impaired over these kids.

Concussions ruin careers. He had one more chance to play as a pro and he did what he thought he had to do. Big whoop.

Reactions: iasooner1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT