ADVERTISEMENT

Chandler Morris not yet released from OU

"Getting rid of intraconference rules and allowing players a one-time transfer without consequence will essentially create a free agent-type environment in the revenue-generating sports."

This will not be good for CFB. I don't want to hear any squeaking from some of you when a conference foe comes knocking on the door of OU for a player and entices him with bags of cash.

"Getting rid of intraconference rules and allowing players a one-time transfer without consequence will essentially create a free agent-type environment in the revenue-generating sports."

This will not be good for CFB. I don't want to hear any squeaking from some of you when a conference foe comes knocking on the door of OU for a player and entices him with bags of cash.
Oh, I won't be squeaking brother, in fact, bags of cash are the history of cfb. Where have you been? Ain't goin away anytime soon neither. Sports, whether at the professional or even the collegiate level have left me in the dust. I can't keep up anymore and don't really want to. I loved coaching the kids and still hang out at the ballparks to this day. Somethin about the purity of it and the enjoyment the kids got out of it. Special. I don't have any grandkids yet and it doesn't look I'll have any anytime soon so I spend as much time as I can fishing the gulf of mexico these days, in fact, a week or two from now, I'll be an infrequent visitor to the board as it's full on, every chance I get, fishing till thanksgiving weekend. 😁

I fairly certain bags of cash will continue to be illegal.

Legal or not, bribing a player or their family members takes place every single year w/ HS players. Now we're going to see the same thing but for players that are already isgned,
Oh, I won't be squeaking brother, in fact, bags of cash are the history of cfb. Where have you been? Ain't goin away anytime soon neither. Sports, whether at the professional or even the collegiate level have left me in the dust. I can't keep up anymore and don't really want to. I loved coaching the kids and still hang out at the ballparks to this day. Somethin about the purity of it and the enjoyment the kids got out of it. Special. I don't have any grandkids yet and it doesn't look I'll have any anytime soon so I spend as much time as I can fishing the gulf of mexico these days, in fact, a week or two from now, I'll be an infrequent visitor to the board as it's full on, every chance I get, fishing till thanksgiving weekend. 😁

Where have I been? Seriously? What you seem to be advocating is that this happens frequently in which I do believe. BUT... w/ HS kids. Now we are going to see this w/ college players. So a kid out of HS commits, signs, plays for a school, but now the bag men can come calling. It's free agency on a college level. And unlike the NFL, there is no salary cap.

It will be the decision of the President's of the Big 12.
The rule change will be.
After it is changed, then it isn't anyone's decision to release or not.
The rule will dictate. Not sure why the current rule isn't dictating now.

Riley did this kid a favor by taking him at the 11th hour after his old man got fired at Arkansas. Now daddy's boy wants to play in the DFW area since that's where daddy lives. Fine; give him an immediate release to play at SMU, UNT, or somewhere else that's close enough to daddy that isn't in the Big 12. Choosing a conference school is pretty shitty way to say "thank you for taking me when I had nowhere else to go". LR is 100% right on this one.

Riley did this kid a favor by taking him at the 11th hour after his old man got fired at Arkansas. Now daddy's boy wants to play in the DFW area since that's where daddy lives. Fine; give him an immediate release to play at SMU, UNT, or somewhere else that's close enough to daddy that isn't in the Big 12. Choosing a conference school is pretty shitty way to say "thank you for taking me when I had nowhere else to go". LR is 100% right on this one.
Not so much. They offered, it was not a favor. I just don't get this approach.

A little nugget added to this situation. Morris' dad was just named the head coach at Allen High School. OU fans are hoping he doesn't retaliate against OU recruiters.
His son is at TCU. Isn't that enough reason for him to steer kids to TCU? I don't think he can have any more reason than that. But, if he does steer, Universities will just stop dealing with him altogether. Then, kids will ONLY have TCU to try and get into. Not ideal.

HS coaches should be trying to get their kids to any/all available colleges. If he steers to TCU, or away from OU, he will get called out in short order and his reputation will suffer. Then he'll have bigger issues that just being pissed at OU/Riley.

Reactions: newnasty
Let's say Grinch accepts a job as HC at Texas Tech or OSU, heck any B12 school... and he wants to get a great start as HC so he recruits three of his top defensive players at OU. They all like Grinch and want to play for him so they all transfer... y'all good w/ that?

So you're fine with Grinch being able to coach anywhere but players are restricted?
Well actually yes.
Coaching is a job, a profession.
The other is a scholarship amateur.
There is a huge difference.

I answered your question with an answer. So once again I ask, are you good with Grinch leaving after this season and taking 3 defensive players with him to OSU? TT? Texas?

I don't have a problem with it. If the players are happy at OU they wouldn't leave. I don't have a problem with what Riley is doing. He is just following the rule as it is written at this time. Morris is enrolled and practicing at TCU and he will play this season. Riley knows the rule is going to be changed in the next couple weeks.

Reactions: Oklabama and CTOkie
So you're fine with Grinch being able to coach anywhere but players are restricted?
Well, same basic principle applies to Grinch. He’s under contract (for a player: scholarship) to coach at OU. No other schools can even interview Grinch without OU/Riley’s permission. And if his contract had a buyout clause (transfer sit-out rule) and he wants to pay the buyout and go coach somewhere else (player transfer), he’s free to do so. But if he does so without OUs permission he would be in breach of contract. He could ask OU to waive the buyout clause (transfer rule). But OU would NOT be obligated to waive it, nor should they.

So to answer your question, Grinch would be free to coach anywhere else, but would still be obligated to follow his contract terms of OU. Just like Morris is having to do.

Knowing a rule, knowingly break said rule, then afterwards playing victim when the rule is enforced is not something I support. Man up. Take your penalty based on your choice, or make a different choice where you have no penalty.

Well, same basic principle applies to Grinch. He’s under contract (for a player: scholarship) to coach at OU. No other schools can even interview Grinch without OU/Riley’s permission. And if his contract had a buyout clause (transfer sit-out rule) and he wants to pay the buyout and go coach somewhere else (player transfer), he’s free to do so. But if he does so without OUs permission he would be in breach of contract. He could ask OU to waive the buyout clause (transfer rule). But OU would NOT be obligated to waive it, nor should they.

So to answer your question, Grinch would be free to coach anywhere else, but would still be obligated to follow his contract terms of OU. Just like Morris is having to do.

Knowing a rule, knowingly break said rule, then afterwards playing victim when the rule is enforced is not something I support. Man up. Take your penalty based on your choice, or make a different choice where you have no penalty.
I may have missed it but I haven't seen where Morris has said anything.

There is a distinct difference though between a profession and the amateur. You just can't equate the two. Wholly different interpretations as far as responsibilities for each position, player/coach. Silly to hold both to the same standard. There is no comparison, and dang silly to think this way. Coaches leave their programs with empty promises to their recruits every day. The portal has done changed the dealings of the NCAA. Hang on, the best is yet to come.

There is a distinct difference though between a profession and the amateur. You just can't equate the two. Wholly different interpretations as far as responsibilities for each position, player/coach. Silly to hold both to the same standard. There is no comparison, and dang silly to think this way. Coaches leave their programs with empty promises to their recruits every day. The portal has done changed the dealings of the NCAA. Hang on, the best is yet to come.

When this rule changes, the Big 12 will be a different conference for sure.

I don’t want any one on the OU squad that doesn’t want to be a Sooner. So if they want to follow another player, coach or cheerleader, get out of Norman and quit taking up a scholarship.
I hear you and also understand you. No one wants a kid to stay that doesn't want to. But this rule change will slowly evolve. In 5 years, this rule change will be and look different than it will be in 2021. We can only hope that a revolving door does not happen. CFB as we know it today is changing... and in my opinion, not for the good for the longtime fans.

Reactions: Oklabama
He has I believe in a tweet. But not sure.
Ah, the tweet world. Gotta love it. 😁 tweeters are part of the problem. Tickles me what this world has come to. Do these tweeters have any kind of guidance, parental, spiritual or otherwise? I believe it's all about looking at "ME" that's promoted.

Ah, the tweet world. Gotta love it. 😁 tweeters are part of the problem. Tickles me what this world has come to. Do these tweeters have any kind of guidance, parental, spiritual or otherwise?

It's a powerful when used correctly. It's also a powerful when you use it incorrectly.

You watch TMZ on the regular?

Look we obvisously disagree on the Big 12 transfer rule. And that's ok. No big deal to me. I'm just concerned that with the early exit of college players to the NFL, the birth of the transfer portal, and now a free to transfer to any school a player wants... that an established free agency of CFB is officially completed. But unlike the pros, when you sign a free agent contract there are stipulated agreements that must be incurred. One of which is a timeline factor, the other is a stated dollar amount the player is to make. CFB is fast becoming nothing but the semi-pro, minor league teams for the NFL. The 4 & 5 star players, the top quality players in CFB can & will go to the highest bidder. Basically one year deals. Now granted, these changes won't mean much to a smaller school like Texas State University, or Southeastern Oklahoma but for Blue Dog teams, college football is and has changed dramactically. If you like the changes then you're golden, if you don't like them then you'll either lose interest in CFB or adjust.

Look we obvisously disagree on the Big 12 transfer rule. And that's ok. No big deal to me. I'm just concerned that with the early exit of college players to the NFL, the birth of the transfer portal, and now a free to transfer to any school a player wants... that an established free agency of CFB is officially completed. But unlike the pros, when you sign a free agent contract there are stipulated agreements that must be incurred. One of which is a timeline factor, the other is a stated dollar amount the player is to make. CFB is fast becoming nothing but the semi-pro, minor league teams for the NFL. The 4 & 5 star players, the top quality players in CFB can & will go to the highest bidder. Basically one year deals. Now granted, these changes won't mean much to a smaller school like Texas State University, or Southeastern Oklahoma but for Blue Dog teams, college football is and has changed dramactically. If you like the changes then you're golden, if you don't like them then you'll either lose interest in CFB or adjust.

nasty, I think you have a good argument, so based on everything, how do you think all this will affect the top programs, i.e., Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State? Negatively, positively or not much? Just asking.

Reactions: newnasty
I don't disagree with you brother. I'm doing my damdest to adjust. It ain't workin though. I think the portal did it for me. I ain't gonna try to figure it all out, I'm just gonna try to figure out how to catch more fish, it's more fulfilling if I should say. I figure to retire within the next 2 years. I'll have my captains license by the end of this year. Some people golf, I love to take people fishing. But I'll never stop watching and cheering the crimson and cream on. 😁

nasty, I think you have a good argument, so based on everything, how do you think all this will affect the top programs, i.e., Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State? Negatively, positively or not much? Just asking.
IMO, the Blue Bloods will pick up the stars from the lesser programs, the lesser programs will pick up the backups and bench warmers from the Blue Bloods, and the bench warmers on the lesser teams will get “processed”. OU will turn out OK in the end, as long as they are willing to get their hands a little dirty and “recruit” the stars from other teams. Our undoing may be our strict ass Compliance Department.

IMO, the Blue Bloods will pick up the stars from the lesser programs, the lesser programs will pick up the backups and bench warmers from the Blue Bloods, and the bench warmers on the lesser teams will get “processed”. OU will turn out OK in the end, as long as they are willing to get their hands a little dirty and “recruit” the stars from other teams. Our undoing may be our strict ass Compliance Department.

Whoa. I’m definitely not for having anything to do with breaking the rules. Not even to ensure a winning season. I don’t expect this change to become that big an issue for Oklahoma. Players, and very good ones, have left the program before without causing a big drop. Again, having a kid on the team that isn’t playing or contributing on the field consistently who wants to play somewhere else isn’t a problem for me whatsoever. If the rule remains, that’s okay with me, but it changes that’s fine. Abide by the rules and accept who comes and goes is the way I see it. But that’s just me. Everyone has their own ideas which is fine too.

I think the Blue Bloods will live well. Hell look at OU.... we've had more transfers into the program that have been hugely successful. But to be honest, I really don't care for the 'hired' gun syndrome that we are witnessing. OU just landed 3 or 4 players from Tenn after processing out a bunch as well. The days are slowly slipping away where we recruit, sign, train and groom, then start. Our next National Title.... Number 8 will be completely different than those before it... that's for sure. The younger fan won't know the difference nor care.

On a brighter note, better and more needed talent entered OU's program this off season than the talent that left OU.
Rambo, Hiles, Morris and Mordecai are good players, but OU took in RB Gray, OL Morris, DB Lawrence, QB Bowens and OL Congel........with a freshman class of 16 that will, for the most part, provide immediate quality depth.
My personal "ace in the hole" offensive player this year could be RB Marcus Major and DB DJ Graham could be the same on defense.

Whoa. I’m definitely not for having anything to do with breaking the rules. Not even to ensure a winning season. I don’t expect this change to become that big an issue for Oklahoma. Players, and very good ones, have left the program before without causing a big drop. Again, having a kid on the team that isn’t playing or contributing on the field consistently who wants to play somewhere else isn’t a problem for me whatsoever. If the rule remains, that’s okay with me, but it changes that’s fine. Abide by the rules and accept who comes and goes is the way I see it. But that’s just me. Everyone has their own ideas which is fine too.
My man!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT