ADVERTISEMENT

CeeDee Lamb is a Cowboy !

So Hurts, Gallimore, Motely and possibly Lee Morris will find homes with a team this week. To go along with the two 1st rounders

Reactions: iasooner1
The Cowboys had CeeDee as their top player on the board, but more than a few Cowboys fans in Dallas are unhappy that they didn't draft a DB or an edge rusher. They also were said to be considering L'Chaison, the LSU edge guy.

I'm really happy for CeeDee. But I had to see him go to Dallas, because I'm not a big fan of their quarterback as a passer, or especially their Owner / GM / President.

Hope he'll be an NFL difference maker.

Huge sports page pick with color shot of CeeDee in his home crimson jersey in this morning's.Chronicle. Article highlights 3 Houston area kids going in the first round...Lamb, Murray, & Chaisson. Both Murray and Lamb from Ft. Bend County.

I'm pumped. Dak is more than a good enough passer, especially if the OLine comes back together. This could be the best WR trio in the NFL - Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup, and CeeDee Lamb. Cooper and Lamb could be the best jump-ball players with RAC abilities in the NFL. Michael Gallup on the speed routes. Then you've got Zeke in the backfield. This offense is going to be great assuming the new coaching staff pulls it together. I don't think McCarthy ever had offensive issues in his past, but of course Aaron Rogers can do that for you.

For edge rushing, DLaw will hopefully bounce back and have a better year.

JC, I'd think you might be overly optimistic about the OLine. This isn't the group that was pretty dominant five years ago.

I heard an interesting radio commentary by a Houston based NFL scribe Saturday night, who hates the Cowboys, but thought they had the best draft of the 32 teams.

It appeared to me because there was so little allowed personal contact with prospects, that teams just fell back on plan B. "If he started for an SEC team, draft him." This will be the most unpredictable end result of draft picks in two or three decades. Teams just didn't get to do all the research they'd prefer to do. I suspect it helped OU at least a little, that the pro day came before the shutdown. So OU's players got a better look.

There are a ton of people who think that the Cowboys had a steal with CeeDee in the 1st round. Just hoping they figure out how to play decent defense in 2020, if there is a season. I'd suspect that neither is as good as a fifty-fifty at this point.

JC, I'd think you might be overly optimistic about the OLine. This isn't the group that was pretty dominant five years ago.

You're right. I was totally unaware that Travis Frederick retired. I was under the impression that he was making excellent health strides last year and was ready to come back.

Zack Martin - 2019 Pro Bowl (Bowler all 6 seasons)
Tyron Smith - 2019 Pro Bowl (Bowler all 7 seasons) - Needs to stay healthy
La'el Collins - Looked pretty decent last year and got himself a 5-yr contract. Hopefully he wasn't just playing for a contract.
Tyler Bladasz - Another Wisconsin center - who knows if he can pull off Frederick type centering. I'll put some positive energy in him.

I think a bigger question than Tyler at Center is Connor Williams at LG and whether or not he can bounce back from the ACL injury without a drop off.

Williams was their weakest OL link as season. His injury wasn't a big loss. Bladasz has had two significant injuries in the last three years to different body parts. Tyron Smith when healthy is a great player. But he has a bad back and hasn't been healthy for two years. He's no longer any threat to be a Pro Bowl player, other than the tendency for voters to vote based on reputation more than actually year's performance. Collins is solid, not great. Martin seemed to have started in the other direction last season. (reputation is definitely a factor here, also)

This was an OL that couldn't block much of anybody in Philly with a playoff trip on the line last season. This Cowboy OL isn't close to what they were three seasons ago. A rookie center isn't likely to be an anchor very soon. He'll likely be a back up the next season that there is football.

And while he is a quality leader, I don't believe Zak is a top 12 quarterback in the NFL. Likely not top half among game 1 starters. He's definitely a very tough man, and has his moments. But his consistency in the clutch is suspect so far in his career. For two seasons, we've heard great praise about the quality of talent on the Cowboy offense. They amassed league highs in yardage. But that wasn't reflected in point scoring, nor wins. They were very poor in road games, aside from beating Washington, Detroit and the Giants. Those happened to be the holders of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th worst records in the NFL last season.

Miami was another win. So Dallas got six of their eight wins against the first worst teams in the NFL last season. Against everybody else, they were 2-8. Dallas played four home games against eventual playoff teams. They were 1-3. The only win was against the Eagles, who were only a playoff team because they were in the same division as the Cowboys, and got into the playoffs with a 9-7 record.

Their three road wins were against the Giants, the Redskins and the Dolphins. Washington and Miami were winless at the time. The Giants had two wins. One against winless Washington after Dallas beat them. The other was by one point against the mediocre Bucs.

The point is that Dallas was 8-8 least season. But they were a bad football team. They scored ten points or less against New Orleans, New England and Philly with the season on the line. In Philadelphia, against a horribly depleted team, they kicked two 49 yard field goals and one from 32. No touchdowns. The Eagles lost their wild card game at home in the first round. If either Dallas or the Eagles had been in any other division, they'd have been 6-10.

Williams was their weakest OL link as season. His injury wasn't a big loss. Bladasz has had two significant injuries in the last three years to different body parts. Tyron Smith when healthy is a great player. But he has a bad back and hasn't been healthy for two years. He's no longer any threat to be a Pro Bowl player, other than the tendency for voters to vote based on reputation more than actually year's performance. Collins is solid, not great. Martin seemed to have started in the other direction last season. (reputation is definitely a factor here, also)

This was an OL that couldn't block much of anybody in Philly with a playoff trip on the line last season. This Cowboy OL isn't close to what they were three seasons ago. A rookie center isn't likely to be an anchor very soon. He'll likely be a back up the next season that there is football.

And while he is a quality leader, I don't believe Zak is a top 12 quarterback in the NFL. Likely not top half among game 1 starters. He's definitely a very tough man, and has his moments. But his consistency in the clutch is suspect so far in his career. For two seasons, we've heard great praise about the quality of talent on the Cowboy offense. They amassed league highs in yardage. But that wasn't reflected in point scoring, nor wins. They were very poor in road games, aside from beating Washington, Detroit and the Giants. Those happened to be the holders of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th worst records in the NFL last season.

Miami was another win. So Dallas got six of their eight wins against the first worst teams in the NFL last season. Against everybody else, they were 2-8. Dallas played four home games against eventual playoff teams. They were 1-3. The only win was against the Eagles, who were only a playoff team because they were in the same division as the Cowboys, and got into the playoffs with a 9-7 record.

Their three road wins were against the Giants, the Redskins and the Dolphins. Washington and Miami were winless at the time. The Giants had two wins. One against winless Washington after Dallas beat them. The other was by one point against the mediocre Bucs.

The point is that Dallas was 8-8 least season. But they were a bad football team. They scored ten points or less against New Orleans, New England and Philly with the season on the line. In Philadelphia, against a horribly depleted team, they kicked two 49 yard field goals and one from 32. No touchdowns. The Eagles lost their wild card game at home in the first round. If either Dallas or the Eagles had been in any other division, they'd have been 6-10.

You lost credibility when you said Dak is not a top 12 quarterback in the NFL; your furthered this disposition when you stated Miami was one of three road wins for Dallas. Your disdain for the owner has rendered your point of view tainted. Amazingly, when it matters, you never identify how coaching derails or holds a team back. The Jason Garrett - left staff maybe the biggest f#@king joke of a coaching staff in the NFL history based on how long it lasted.

You lost credibility when you said Dak is not a top 12 quarterback in the NFL; your furthered this disposition when you stated Miami was one of three road wins for Dallas. Your disdain for the owner has rendered your point of view tainted. Amazingly, when it matters, you never identify how coaching derails or holds a team back. The Jason Garrett - left staff maybe the biggest f#@king joke of a coaching staff in the NFL history based on how long it lasted.

So I'm not the only one that notices! Nice.

Reactions: Medic007
I think it’s very hard to judge Dak as a player because no one has a better supporting cast in the league (perhaps Kansas City). They have Pro Bowlers everywhere.

Mahomes
Jackson,
Wilson,
Brady
Watson,
Rodgers,
Brees,
Murray,
Foles
, won a Super Bowl, beating Brady.
Garapolo played in last season's Super Bowl. I know, better defense.
Ryan played in a Super Bowl. Lost to Brady in OT.
Josh Allen beat him head to head in Dallas, and has less experience.
Rivers. They say he's a Hall of Famer. I don't know about that. But they ain't talking about Zak doing that. He misses too many open throws that an NFL quarterback has to make. He sucked in Philly with the playoffs on the line.

Goff lost head to head to Dak in Dallas, but he also played in a Super Bowl two years ago. When has Dak even made an NFC champtionship game? That's 13 not counting Goff. And I believe that if Cleveland ever gets their OLine problems rectified, that Baker is a better quarterback. Now that, was a coaching problem. Twice.

I'm not sure which it is. You claim it was Garrett. But Jerrah is the guy who kept him around. I'm not a big Garrett fan, but I think he had mediocre quarterback play. I liked McCarthy in Green Bay, but he rubbed people the wrong way, especially his quarterback. Funny thing is, I read online that their new coach ain't exactly thrilled with Rodgers, either. Despite the McCarthy-Rodgers lack of same paged ness, McCarthy's offense has been pretty productive.

Coaching is of course important in the NFL. But it's mostly about players and especially quarterbacks. I have disliked Jerrah since he ran Jimmy Johnson off. But I think he made a smart decision franchising Dak. A long term deal, which the talking heads promoted heavily, would have wrecked the franchise for a decade. Dak is not capable of getting a team to the Super Bowl. Great man. says all the right things. Works hard. But he ain't great against quality teams. And he ain't good on the road. You don't win playoff games with that resume'.

And I can make an argument for several others that are as good. If Big Ben is healthy, he's a better quarterback, but I wouldn't contest that for six months.

You're right. I screwed up on the Miami game. My old man's memory had the game in Miami. It was in Dallas. But they were still a bottom five team. Six of Dallas' eight wins came against BOTTOM 5 TEAMS. And they lost to the Jets when they were 0-4, and the Cowboys were without a touchdown until the game was out of hand and the Jets relaxed their defense a little to run clock. They were 2-8 against teams with a pulse in 2019. The third road win was against the third worst team in the league,Detroit, not the 5th, Miami. Same difference.

Dak supposedly has one of the top two or three RB's in the league. I wouldn't agree with that, but I suspect you would. That makes his inability to make NFL throws consistently even worse.

I'm not a big Stafford fan. But some would rather have him. Dak gets a lot of positive acclaim from talking heads, even though he really hasn't done much of anything against quality teams. And that IS what it's really all about.

Last edited:
I'm not a Dak fan and I'm glad they tagged him. With a full cast of elite players to compliment him, he has now has no where to go but to earn his next contract. The new HC will also be given some time to evaluate him on the intangible skils such as leadership, ability to learn, etc. We'll see where it goes, but if he doesn't work magic in Dallas this season, I don't think they'll give him the huge contract he's looking for.

Mahomes
Jackson,
Wilson,
Brady
Watson,
Rodgers,
Brees,
Murray,
Foles
Rivers. They say he's a Hall of Famer. I don't know about that. But they ain't talking about Zak doing that. He misses too many open throws that an NFL quarterback has to make. He sucked in Philly with the playoffs on the line.

Goff lost head to head to Dak in Dallas, but he also played in a Super Bowl two years ago. When has Dak even made an NFC champtionship game? That's 13 not counting Goff. And I believe that if Cleveland ever gets their OLine problems rectified, that Baker is a better quarterback. Now that, was a coaching problem. Twice.

I'm not sure which it is. You claim it was Garrett. But Jerrah is the guy who kept him around. I'm not a big Garrett fan, but I think he had mediocre quarterback play. I liked McCarthy in Green Bay, but he rubbed people the wrong way, especially his quarterback. Funny thing is, I read online that their new coach ain't exactly thrilled with Rodgers, either. Despite the McCarthy-Rodgers lack of same paged ness, McCarthy's offense has been pretty productive.

Coaching is of course important in the NFL. But it's mostly about players and especially quarterbacks. I have disliked Jerrah since he ran Jimmy Johnson off. But I think he made a smart decision franchising Dak. A long term deal, which the talking heads promoted heavily, would have wrecked the franchise for a decade. Dak is not capable of getting a team to the Super Bowl. Great man. says all the right things. Works hard. But he ain't great against quality teams. And he ain't good on the road. You don't win playoff games with that resume'.

And I can make an argument for several others that are as good. If Big Ben is healthy, he's a better quarterback, but I wouldn't contest that for six months.

You're right. I screwed up on the Miami game. My old man's memory had the game in Miami. It was in Dallas. But they were still a bottom five team. Six of Dallas' eight wins came against BOTTOM 5 TEAMS. And they lost to the Jets when they were 0-4, and the Cowboys were without a touchdown until the game was out of hand and the Jets relaxed their defense a little to run clock. They were 2-8 against teams with a pulse in 2019. The third road win was against the third worst team in the league,Detroit, not the 5th, Miami. Same difference.

Dak supposedly has one of the top two or three RB's in the league. I wouldn't agree with that, but I suspect you would. That makes his inability to make NFL throws consistently even worse.

I'm not a big Stafford fan. But some would rather have him. Dak gets a lot of positive acclaim from talking heads, even though he really hasn't done much of anything against quality teams. And that IS what it's really all about.

I can tell you listen to too much sports talk radio. Please be reminded that in every city, every team sucks, when it comes to the talking heads on sports talk radio. It's what they do. The fill air time. They set the tone and let the nay-sayers call in to bitch and complain. Turn off the radio Plaino, you'll be better for it.

My Green Bay buddy is a huge fan and thinks that rogers is a prima donna. And a bad team mate that has thrown team mates under the bus several times. A talented QB no doubt but that he struggles to fit into a team. This could be why McCarthy and even the new coach have had issues with him. But, I'm not a GB fan and don't follow them at all. But my buddy does and has season tickets since 1988.

I can tell you listen to too much sports talk radio. Please be reminded that in every city, every team sucks, when it comes to the talking heads on sports talk radio. It's what they do. The fill air time. They set the tone and let the nay-sayers call in to bitch and complain. Turn off the radio Plaino, you'll be better for it.
WNAS. I haven't listened to ten minutes of sports talk on the radio in 2020. Probably haven't in 12 months. Sports talk in Dallas was mostly about strip joints, boobs and liberal conjecture. None of those is my thing.

I used to listen to Norm some, but he's changed stations a few times, I suspect. I hear people rave about the Ticket and would like to puke. My view about Dak is what I see. He is not a playoff quality NFL quarterback. Hurts will be a better NFL quarterback, probably pretty soon. Dak can light up the lightweights. But against a quality defense, he has no skins on the wall.

Reactions: CTOkie
My Green Bay buddy is a huge fan and thinks that rogers is a prima donna. And a bad team mate that has thrown team mates under the bus several times. A talented QB no doubt but that he struggles to fit into a team. This could be why McCarthy and even the new coach have had issues with him. But, I'm not a GB fan and don't follow them at all. But my buddy does and has season tickets since 1988.
That wouldn't be surprising. I believe your summation is pretty accurate on Rodgers. And I think you're right about this being a test year for Dak.

Sports talk in Dallas was mostly about strip joints, boobs and liberal conjecture.

Tell me more....

I hear people rave about the Ticket and would like to puke.

I get where you're coming from, but The Ticket is good. Yeah, at times, it can only loosely be considered sports talk. But when the Ticket gets into the trenches on real sports talk, I'm not sure there is better. Certainly kicks the shorts off of the national sports media. Bob Sturm has to be hands down the brightest sports talk mind I've known in my 5 decades. He and I don't see eye to eye on life all of the time, so he tends to even ruffle me sometimes, but when it comes to sports talk... you won't find better.

I've, unfortunately, been out in LA for 5 years now, and I still regularly queue up iHeartRadio on my commute to soak in some Ticket talk.

Mahomes
Jackson,
Wilson,
Brady
Watson,
Rodgers,
Brees,
Murray,
Foles

Murray, Foles, Allen?

No substance behind those picks.

But it’s all guessing anyway. Total team sport.

Makes for good bar talk!

Murray, Foles, Allen?

No substance behind those picks.

But it’s all guessing anyway. Total team sport.

Makes for good bar talk!
Murray will be better than Dak very soon. Allen beat him straight up last season in Dallas and got his team to the playoffs his second season. Foles has a Super Bowl title. Dak hasn't sniffed a Conference title appearance.

I would claim that Dak rated anywhere in the top 12 has no substance. But if you discount Murray, I still have 12 without Roethlisberger. You can take Ben if you want to base it on historical performance.

Allen has been in the league two seasons. He started 11 games in rookie year. The Bills went 5-6 when he started. They were 1-4 when he didn't. So it wasn't exactly surrounding talent.

Lasts year they were 10-6 and were knocked out in the first round of the playoffs, narrowly on the road in a dome, in part because they were the wild card team. He was a better player than Dak most of the season. There is some NFL stat specialty group that measures the ball flight distance of completions. His exceptional arm has the second longest completed pass by ball flight, in the history of the stat.

He makes NFL qb throws more consistently, and he's got less experience. He's already a better player. And his improvement will be better. Let's not get too worked up about stats. He plays in Buffalo. But he's a better player.

Reactions: sooners49
I saw today that Jerry is going to make CeeDee wear #88 in honor of a friend of his that wore that number at Arkansas when Jerry played there. What's wrong with allowing CeeDee to wear #10 like he wanted to?

I saw today that Jerry is going to make CeeDee wear #88 in honor of a friend of his that wore that number at Arkansas when Jerry played there. What's wrong with allowing CeeDee to wear #10 like he wanted to?
Jerrah can make more money selling 88 jerseys with Lamb on the back, than 10 with the same name. I'm hoping that Jerrah paid CeeDee a little extra for the consideration.

Mahomes
Jackson,
Wilson,
Brady
Watson,
Rodgers,
Brees,
Murray,
Foles

Oh wow Plaino I just saw this response and your list...good for a chuckle. I did not read the rest.

Jerrah wanted Garrett to be his legacy coach, his Landy...didn't happen. Garrett and his staff's lack of preparation, conservatism during road games, in game clock management, and absent special teams is well documented and was on display for the last decade.

I'm okay with franchising Dak, it is the right move. Dak can be a championship quarterback but will need more help (offensive weapons) earlier in his career than others. I do believe he will improver dramatically with his work ethic and leadership skills. I guess I am in good company regarding my thoughts on Garrett and Dak, because Aikman agrees. Wish I could tell you to wait for the upcoming season to see but who the hell knows when they may happen.

ADVERTISEMENT