HowardSooner

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
The return of Big Game Bob: Oklahoma finds a QB and a future

September 12, 2015 11:41 pm ET
Dennis Dodd

Some excerpts:

For large swaths of what was developing into the Neyland Nightmare for the Sooners, there were questions about the coach's future, the offense's production and the quarterback's judgment.

"Of all our wins," Stoops said after a 31-24 double-overtime win over Tennessee, "this may have been my favorite."

Tennessee just wilted slowly before our eyes. Mayfield and the Sooners grew up at the same pace. More than half of their yards (195 of 348) came after the midway point of the fourth quarter.

It was vintage for both Oklahoma and Tennessee. Stoops got his big-game reputation for rising to the top at the most important time. Three of those six SEC wins have come against Alabama (3-0!). He's beaten Tennessee twice in a row.

Riley then found himself teaching Mayfield, a former Texas Tech walk-on who went from starter to not being offered a scholarship. The first time Stoops knew Mayfield was officially on campus was when the kid showed up at an offseason meeting.

Faith was restored. A smile crossed a previously troubled face. For one game, at least, Big Game Bob was back.

"In my 15 years," Stoops said, "I have never been part of a comeback like this."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25300028

Reactions: dvorakou and Newb
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.