ADVERTISEMENT

CBS article

No surgar coating and really good article.
All true. Which makes it even worse. This is going to be a dumpster fire season. By the time this team gets to end of the year, they will be beat up, demoralized, and out of gas. It all started with bad hires and will only be fixed by cleaning house.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
All true. Which makes it even worse. This is going to be a dumpster fire season. By the time this team gets to end of the year, they will be beat up, demoralized, and out of gas. It all started with bad hires and will only be fixed by cleaning house.
Honest ?. Who would be a good OC hire? I have no clue myself but there has to be better options.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
depends on what style of offense you are wanting to run. With Hawkins as qb I like Brennan Marion form UNLV. the GO, GO offense could be deadly with the right athletes. Andy Ludwig from Utah would be a great hire to run an offense in the SEC. Littrell may be a good OC but until the OL play gets better we will never know. When the top two rushers are the QB and a WR, that is never good.

After thinking about the best OC for the job, he was probably coaching last night. Joey Halzle the OC for Tenn. He's been with Heupel for awhile now so I dont see him leaving, but he is a legit QB coach who happens to call a good games. Being an OU grad, maybe we would like to coach for his alma mater.

No mention in the article about OU’s issue with the offensive line which had everything to do with Arnold’s poor showing and the lack of a good running game.

Reactions: zeeshan1
Seth Littrell should be fired yesterday. Venables made the mistake of making the easy choice rather than doing his due diligence and hiring a sharp, up and coming OC. He also made the mistake of promising Arnold playing time he hadn't earned. I like Brent but those two mistakes will continue to kick us in the !@#$% for the foreseeable future.

Seth Littrell should be fired yesterday. Venables made the mistake of making the easy choice rather than doing his due diligence and hiring a sharp, up and coming OC. He also made the mistake of promising Arnold playing time he hadn't earned. I like Brent but those two mistakes will continue to kick us in the !@#$% for the foreseeable future.
Happens a lot at OU, buddy hires and family ties, never ever freaking works out. When will they learn?
Why would you promote from within without interviews for the job knowing the SEC era starts this season? Boneheaded decision. Another reason BB should be sent packing, he knew what was coming but instead of recruiting he gambled on the Portal and lost his ass like he was in Vegas playing on House Money. Are we gonna pretend to be a Blue Blood Program or are we gonna get serious about it? Sometimes I think all the BS we hear from Joe C and the rest about OU not taking a back seat to nobody is just bs and they don't take that seriously.

That's an overreaction, if Arnold doesn't cough it up 3 times or Hawkins plays the whole game, OU likely wins that game and the narrative is completely different. Remember, this team looks like a MASH unit they have FOUR of their top 5 WR's out. Everyone on the O-Line is hurt, even the guys playing. That's not a great recipe for offensive success. Granted Littrell isn't helping things and Emmett Jones recruiting every Oompa Loompa WR he can find doesn't help either.

Reactions: MaxHeadroom72
After thinking about the best OC for the job, he was probably coaching last night. Joey Halzle the OC for Tenn. He's been with Heupel for awhile now so I dont see him leaving, but he is a legit QB coach who happens to call a good games. Being an OU grad, maybe we would like to coach for his alma mater.
That would've been a great hire and still would be. Also, the guy from UNLV would be a good pick too.

No mention in the article about OU’s issue with the offensive line which had everything to do with Arnold’s poor showing and the lack of a good running game.

It did not have "everything" to do with Arnold's poor showing. He had 5 seconds to throw that horrendous pass into coverage that got intercepted. He also had another mental breakdown when he panicked and threw that errant lateral pass that turned into a fumble on a play that was supposed to be a read-option rushing play, not an RPO.

I would also point out that Hawkins had the same offensive line that Arnold had.

I know Halzle is the OC but I believe during the telecast they said JH actually calls the plays during the game. It looked that way to me.

Reactions: 8085sooner
It did not have "everything" to do with Arnold's poor showing. He had 5 seconds to throw that horrendous pass into coverage that got intercepted. He also had another mental breakdown when he panicked and threw that errant lateral pass that turned into a fumble on a play that was supposed to be a read-option rushing play, not an RPO.

I would also point out that Hawkins had the same offensive line that Arnold had.
Hawkins was sacked twice, Arnold once, and both were forced to throw short passes due to the defensive pressure. Arnold averaged 4.3 yards per pass, Hawkins averaged 7.3.
Arnold’s “5-seconds to throw” had to do with looking for receivers, whom Tennessee covered very well.
This season for me, so far has gone as I expected: 3 opening wins and a loss to a good Tennessee team.

Hawkins was sacked twice, Arnold once, and both were forced to throw short passes due to the defensive pressure. Arnold averaged 4.3 yards per pass, Hawkins averaged 7.3.
Arnold’s “5-seconds to throw” had to do with looking for receivers, whom Tennessee covered very well.
This season for me, so far has gone as I expected: 3 opening wins and a loss to a good Tennessee team.
I am confused CT. Are trying to say Arnold should remain the starter?

I'm calling nonsense on this. We had no oline in what 2007-2008 when Bradford got rocked by BYU? Landry Jones came in and our offense did just fine because we had an offensive coordinator that knew how to play to kids strengths. Not the greatest year but we weren't garbage like this year.

You can win with an overpowered line. Someone resurrect Leach and ask him how it's done.

Reactions: iasooner24
Happens a lot at OU, buddy hires and family ties, never ever freaking works out. When will they learn?
Why would you promote from within without interviews for the job knowing the SEC era starts this season? Boneheaded decision. Another reason BB should be sent packing, he knew what was coming but instead of recruiting he gambled on the Portal and lost his ass like he was in Vegas playing on House Money. Are we gonna pretend to be a Blue Blood Program or are we gonna get serious about it? Sometimes I think all the BS we hear from Joe C and the rest about OU not taking a back seat to nobody is just bs and they don't take that seriously.
Unfortunately, I don't think it's just an Oklahoma thing. In football, NFL or NCAA,I hear more about disciples than you'll ever read about in the Bible. It's maybe the most nepotistic profession on Earth.

C'mon CT. I know what you're saying, but you certainly didn't expect this offense to look like this. 3-1 with a loss to a good Tennessee team, sure, that's a no lie prediction before the season, but you're omitting the disgusting offense we're watching.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's just an Oklahoma thing. In football, NFL or NCAA,I hear more about disciples than you'll ever read about in the Bible. It's maybe the most nepotistic profession on Earth.

When you look back at the Bob Stoops era you see that happened from the beginning and continued for the most until gave up the reins. Barry did it too, but not as much/long as Stoops, in my opinion. Regardless when you consider what each accomplished it’s hard to complain too much.

When you look back at the Bob Stoops era you see that happened from the beginning and continued for the most until gave up the reins. Barry did it too, but not as much/long as Stoops, in my opinion. Regardless when you consider what each accomplished it’s hard to complain too much.
Someone has to win each year and if 100% are "disciples" then a disciple is going to win.

I'm just really mad about what we're seeing. I came on here blowing my top about 49-0 against Texas and got told there was no QB and no hope. It's all BS. This is all about head coaching. Brent Venables is a defensive coordinator, not a head coach. Someone, somewhere, needs to wake up.

49-0 was foreshadowing of this nonsense.

Last edited:
What would it take for a mid season change at offensive coordinator? If I were Brent and truly fighting for my job, I'd be willing to throw the kitchen sink. Hawkins at QB is a good start but we'll need a little bit more.

And don't get me wrong, if you watch the game highlight video on YouTube, it's not like a one sided whooping by Tennessee. There are plenty of Oklahoma highlights. Our defense is legitimately SEC ready.

C'mon CT. I know what you're saying, but you certainly didn't expect this offense to look like this. 3-1 with a loss to a good Tennessee team, sure, that's a no lie prediction before the season, but you're omitting the disgusting offense we're watching.
And that “disgusting offense” is what it is because of a poor offensive line and the absence of WRs Anderson and Farooq hurts as well. The QB protection and the running game are greatly diminished.
I said in a previous post that so goes the offensive line, so goes the season.

Reactions: JConXtsy
I'm just really mad about what we're seeing. I came on here blowing my top about 49-0 against Texas and got told there was no QB and no hope. It's all BS. This is all about head coaching. Brent Venables is a defensive coordinator, not a head coach. Someone, somewhere, needs to wake up.

49-0 was foreshadowing of this nonsense.
Bob Stoops was Florida’s defensive coordinator before coming to OU.

And that “disgusting offense” is what it is because of a poor offensive line and the absence of WRs Anderson and Farooq hurts as well. The QB protection and the running game are greatly diminished.
I said in a previous post that so goes the offensive line, so goes the season.
I get it. I don't have an argument other than a smart OC could deal with the deficiencies in my opinion. Someone needs to give it a try at least.

BV will be fine this year, if anything he will be pressured to get a new OC, this will not help recruiting but it will appease the masses. Now if Arnold goes someplace else and lights up the field, then heads will be on the chopping block, after his 4th year.

Briles is the guy who made things out of nothing, especially bad Olines. Maybe take a cue from his playbook, with wide splits and heavy spreads. Did Baylor ever have Olineman taken in the 1st or early 2nd round? I cannot think of any. Bedinbaugh has to have a good or great center, for his offensive style, we do not have one today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT