ADVERTISEMENT

Camar Wheaton Article

May 13, 2020
Breaking down his three finalists. I don't like Bama being on there but still think we are the favorite.

Am sure DeMarco is working hard to bring Wheaton into the fold. Should be an interesting “get” for this dynamic offense. The running game is often overlooked.

Reactions: iasooner1
It’s due in very large part to 2 things, imo, those being that Riley is from the air raid tree, so most talking heads run with that narrative, & B ) the insane efficiency of our recent QB’s. The reason that I say this is that I did the homework a few months ago & found that the only team in the conference who has thrown the ball LESS than OU over the last 4 aggregate years (in which OU has has a Heisman finalist QB every year) is KSU.

If you listen to the talking heads, they are always focused on QB and WR’s. This goes back a ways too.
Brooks, Sermon, Anderson, Perine, Mixon, Ross, Clay, Williams, Whaley were around over the past decade and were highly recruited although some were injured (Whaley, Anderson, Sermon) and Ross never was the back everyone thought he could be although he had his moments. Clay was a late bloomer due to early injuries but he had some huge moments.
Clearly, there was a priority on running backs. Always has been and always will be.

OU vs texASS, when Perine and Mixon, only carried the ball 14 times,total. Bob had a long talk with Lincoln after that game and he's ran the rock ever since.
That's one game and doesn't reflect OU's yearly priority of having a strong running game. It's always been that way at OU.
And OU lost that game in 2015 with Mayfield passing for only 211 yards and one touchdown in the 24-17 loss. ....OU had a paltry 278 total yards.
The defeat was like drowning in 10 inches of water to a 5-7 Texas team.....as was the 2013 loss to Texas 36-20 in a game where OU had only 130 rushing yards with Keith Ford leading OU's backs with 34 yards. Texas went 8-5 that year losing games by 40-21, 44-23, 38-13, 30-10 and 30-7.
Stoops resurrected OU in 1999, but lost some big games....in addition to some surprising and inexcusable upsets during his reign as coach.

ADVERTISEMENT