ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl games meaningless?

There is not a college football coach that does not welcome a bowl bid for his team, regardless of its insignificance on a national scale.
It's a reward for his team's hard work during the season.
It gives players the opportunity to see other places in the country.
It gives a team 15 extra practice sessions, allowing coaches to further develop and analyze younger players on the roster, especially redshirts.
While I agree that there are at least ten bowls too many, I also know it's all about money and that as long as the bowl system is making money (for the most part), it will likely stay as is or even grow further. Plus, there's nothing I can do about it so I basically don't care that much.

There is not a college football coach that does not welcome a bowl bid for his team, regardless of its insignificance on a national scale.
It's a reward for his team's hard work during the season.
It gives players the opportunity to see other places in the country.
It gives a team 15 extra practice sessions, allowing coaches to further develop and analyze younger players on the roster, especially redshirts.
While I agree that there are at least ten bowls too many, I also know it's all about money and that as long as the bowl system is making money (for the most part), it will likely stay as is or even grow further. Plus, there's nothing I can do about it so I basically don't care that much.
I agree with what you are saying, but the point of the article is about these players who will not join their team because of their NFL aspirations.

Christian McCaffery feels as it is not worth the risk to play in El Paso, Texas with his team. Would he feel the same if he had a shot at a National Championship? Would a NY6 bowl make it worth it?

Glorified scrimmages.

CFB shouldn't let coaches accept new jobs until afterwards.
Coaches are basically showing the kids they aren't worth much by bailing on them for the new jobs.

I don't blame any NFL bound kid (SR or JR) for not playing.
The mean zilch in the big picture.

Unless you are in the CFP.

I've said for years that there are to many bowl games. I'm in favor of doing away with all the bowls, and have been in favor of that for many years. I like the playoff system in division II and FCS. At least we're getting closer to a true playoff system.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
Bowl games will always stay.
Too much corp money, bowl money for schools, hotel money, etc....
NCAA just needs to tweak some things as every team will have missing coaches, and players worried about injuries with an NFL combine and SR Bowl only 2-3 months after the game.

I agree with what you are saying, but the point of the article is about these players who will not join their team because of their NFL aspirations.

Christian McCaffery feels as it is not worth the risk to play in El Paso, Texas with his team. Would he feel the same if he had a shot at a National Championship? Would a NY6 bowl make it worth it?

Refusal should result in scholarship forfeiture and all prior privileges to be reimbursed.

Very good article. I certainly understand both sides of this argument, which includes not just players skipping the bowl game to prepare for the NFL combine, but coaches leaving before the bowl game is played because they got hired somewhere else and want to start building their staff and go recruiting. As the writer pointed out, a line must be drawn somewhere.

I feel the line should be that the players should not be able to declare for the draft until after their final game of their junior year is played. So, if a team does not make a bowl game, they can declare the day of their last regular season game. If the team is headed to a bowl, the player cannot declare until after the bowl game is played. However, some players (the selfish ones) will say they are hurt or may not give their best effort leading up to and during the bowl game to force the coaches to pull the player. And some sympathetic coaches may also not force the player to participate in the game so as to not risk an injury and hurt their draft chances.

As for the coaches, that's a different matter and I feel that if a coach leaves for another job (Tom Hermann going from Houston to texass), then an interim or incoming coach should lead the team at their bowl game.

Several players this season have decided to skip their bowl games to get ready for the NFL. I don't like the precedent this is setting going forward. Even OU isn't immune as Charles Walker made this move during the regular season. I think going forward this will now become more and more common. The next step is when players on playoff teams will start sitting out the chance to play for a national title to get ready for their NFL futures.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
Refusal should result in scholarship forfeiture and all prior privileges to be reimbursed.

Add'em to the payroll then. I don't blame any kid that wants to play in the NFL to leave. And if he's leaving, why should he risk the injury. Maurice Clarett comes to mind. Bowl games don't mean much these days, they're fun, entertaining, but only a three games have any meaning to them.

Reactions: veritas59
I can recall some bowl games played by Oklahoma in my lifetime with no national championship at stake that were great memorable games.....and "meaningful".

As a fan, some bowls are not very meaningful if it's a lower tier bowl and/or the team gets blown out (see 55-19). But I can imagine that any bowl game, even the lower-tier ones, are meaningful to the players and many are grateful for one chance time to suit up and hit the field with their teammates.

But back on the subject, I think we might be seeing a trend occurring and I'm not very excited about it. Now that the Jeanie is out of the bottle, not sure how they're going to put it back in.

Reactions: iasooner1
I can recall some bowl games played by Oklahoma in my lifetime with no national championship at stake that were great memorable games.....and "meaningful".

Just recently Trevor whipping up on Bama comes to mind. I think fans take it more personal than the players. They know what's up. They see first hand the struggle, the injuries, the grind. I don't think they hold a grudge. Besides, if a program has any salt to it, the younger guys step up. If a program doesn't have someone else to step up, then they best start recruiting better. Good ballers are only expected to play three years these days.

I liked the 1954 Orange Bowl with Maryland, 1959 Orange Bowl with Syracuse, the 1968 Orange Bowl with Tennessee, the 1972 Sugar Bowl with Penn State, the 1978 Orange Bowl with Nebraska, the 1979 and 1980 Orange Bowls with Florida State, the 2003 Rose Bowl with Washington State just to name a few.

I liked the 1954 Orange Bowl with Maryland, 1959 Orange Bowl with Syracuse, the 1968 Orange Bowl with Tennessee, the 1972 Sugar Bowl with Penn State, the 1978 Orange Bowl with Nebraska, the 1979 and 1980 Orange Bowls with Florida State, the 2003 Rose Bowl with Washington State just to name a few.

A couple of those were before I was born. All but one was before 24/7 Cable sports and none of these glorious victories occurred w/ CFB playing on Thursday nights. My point is CFB has changed dramatically. It isn't the same game. It's big money. Huge money and the players are still not being paid. Yet buildings are being erected. Professors are being paid huge salaries. Coaches getting paid millions annually and when they jump ship to higher salaries, as a rule it's accepted.

Student athletes leaving for the NFL while they still are eligible to play college ball. Now players refuse to participate in a bowl with their teammates because they don't want to take a chance of injury because of their NFL stock. It won't end with this new wave. More to come. Likely mid-season vacates for financial purposes. Sometimes I sit and think about all the good the National Football League does for college football. Doesn't take much time out of my day.

Getting an opportunity to advance one's skills for a career later in life is not cheap. For many, it costs a good amount of money that gets paid back later in life. A student athlete is given 5 years to get a four year degree, and sometimes that's not long enough.

http://www.collegedata.com/cs/content/content_payarticle_tmpl.jhtml?articleId=10064

When all costs are figured in, upwards of $200,000.00 can be spent for these scholarships, not to mention the training provided that can potentially make these students multi millionaires...

Getting an opportunity to advance one's skills for a career later in life is not cheap. For many, it costs a good amount of money that gets paid back later in life. A student athlete is given 5 years to get a four year degree, and sometimes that's not long enough.

http://www.collegedata.com/cs/content/content_payarticle_tmpl.jhtml?articleId=10064

When all costs are figured in, upwards of $200,000.00 can be spent for these scholarships, not to mention the training provided that can potentially make these students multi millionaires...

If not for college football, the NFL wouldn't be nearly what it is today. Basically, no variety ball, no pro ball. So how much of this $200K per scholarship is the NFL contributing to the universities for preparing and auditioning the talent that exists in the professional league? What would be a fair price?

If not for college football, the NFL wouldn't be nearly what it is today. Basically, no variety ball, no pro ball. So how much of this $200K per scholarship is the NFL contributing to the universities for preparing and auditioning the talent that exists in the professional league? What would be a fair price?
None that I know of, yet MLB pays for guys to play college football...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT