ADVERTISEMENT

Bookie is transferring.

Bookie isn’t in the same stratosphere as Strait. If he were, the fans would forgive/overlook the 15 yard penalties a lot more easily. Like we did with Orlando Brown and Cody Ford.

If you are a dominant, all-American caliber player, you get a little more slack with the dumb penalties. If you are consistently getting beat deep, missing tackles, and consistently running your mouth, well, you don’t get as much slack.

Bookie and I suffer from the same shortcoming. Too few inches between our heels and our nutbag.
I think Bookie's biggest problem is his hips, and his brain. He doesn't flip his hips well when covering deep routes which is why he gets beat deep a lot and most of his penalties were due to doing something stupid. His lack of height in my opinion isn't his shortcoming.

Strait has been OU's best CB in this century so far and he's been gone for two decades. OU has had some good ones since 2001, but my opinion is that Strait was the best.
And FWIW, I believed after the 2000 championship season that I would see a few more championships, but somehow OU's resurgence had its ceiling.

CT.......Don’t you believe we had the teams for at least one more during 2000-2010 years? I damn sure do.

I think Bookie's biggest problem is his hips, and his brain. He doesn't flip his hips well when covering deep routes which is why he gets beat deep a lot and most of his penalties were due to doing something stupid. His lack of height in my opinion isn't his shortcoming.

Bookie isn’t disciplined. That’s his biggest problem, IMO.

CT.......Don’t you believe we had the teams for at least one more during 2000-2010 years? I damn sure do.
I think we did as well. 2001 comes to mind. If Jason White doesn't get hurt we probably don't lose at Nebraska and then we also had that stupid loss at home to Okie Lite that year. 2003 losing in the Big XII championship and then the Sugar Bowl, 2004 losing to USC, 2008 losing to Florida for the National Championship. Should have won at least one more NC during that stretch.

How close would you compare bookie to Derrik Strait?

Bookie size and lack of great top end speed. Bookie has a great football IQ but let's his emotions get the best of him. Strait had good to great speed, great hips and great football IQ. Bookie has gotten better at tackling but Strait was a wrap up artist, way to many shoulder tackles, for Bookie. I never had a coach tell me to hit them with my shoulders or hit a tackling dummy. Every coach I had, "wrap them up".

The post season games during those years...2003, 2004, 2008.... "believed" differently. And those were some very good Oklahoma teams.

What? A 5'8" DB is covering a 6'4" receiver and his height is not the problem? Hips are his problem? I concur on the "brain". That taunting penalty in Bedlam was pure stupidity and he took his stock down several points on that play. First and 15 the wrong direction.

Bookie size and lack of great top end speed. Bookie has a great football IQ but let's his emotions get the best of him. Strait had good to great speed, great hips and great football IQ. Bookie has gotten better at tackling but Strait was a wrap up artist, way to many shoulder tackles, for Bookie. I never had a coach tell me to hit them with my shoulders or hit a tackling dummy. Every coach I had, "wrap them up".
Yeah, bookie's gotta corral them emotions no doubt about it. But now, Strait? That kid was never out of place. Since Boz, I don't think I've ever heard another defensive player's name called as often.

Reactions: 8085sooner
I think we did as well. 2001 comes to mind. If Jason White doesn't get hurt we probably don't lose at Nebraska and then we also had that stupid loss at home to Okie Lite that year. 2003 losing in the Big XII championship and then the Sugar Bowl, 2004 losing to USC, 2008 losing to Florida for the National Championship. Should have won at least one more NC during that stretch.
Wasnt the year we lost to USC the same year we lost to Sproles et al in the CCG. Doesn't matter. For whatever reason I was watching that LSU vs OU Sugarbowl game the other day and we certainly had our opportunities in that game but Saban and Muschamp's defense was good especially against the run and we had Kejuan Jones running the ball who probably wouldn't be in the rotation in our current offense.

Wasnt the year we lost to USC the same year we lost to Sproles et al in the CCG. Doesn't matter. For whatever reason I was watching that LSU vs OU Sugarbowl game the other day and we certainly had our opportunities in that game but Saban and Muschamp's defense was good especially against the run and we had Kejuan Jones running the ball who probably wouldn't be in the rotation in our current offense.
We got romped by Sproles in the CCG in KC then just couldn't get over the hump in the sugar against Saban and his tigers. Shoulda been #8. BCS allowed us in that game even after the wildcat stomp.

LB's Bosworth and Casteel, DE Beal at OU......and as a CFB history buff, there was Floyd Little, Ernie Davis and some guy named Jim Brown, all at Syracuse.
I just think it's a cool number for a running back, as I do for a linebacker.

You bring up running backs and although I'm not a cowboy fan, I think of Robert Newhouse at #44. I was just a tot when Casteel dominated. Hear his name still to this day. Little, Davis and Brown at #44? Are icing on the cake. Good stuff. First in my mind tho is "BOZ" 😁

He wouldn't be transferring from a team that has a great shot to make the playoffs next season unless he was pretty sure he wasn't going to get much playing time. He probably thinks he can make the NFL and sitting on the bench aint gonna accomplish that goal. For his sake I hope he is on track to graduate

What? A 5'8" DB is covering a 6'4" receiver and his height is not the problem? Hips are his problem? I concur on the "brain". That taunting penalty in Bedlam was pure stupidity and he took his stock down several points on that play. First and 15 the wrong direction.
He can't flip his hips and run which I believe is his biggest problem. His height or lack there of doesn't help, but if he could flip his hips and run deep with a receiver he wouldn't get beat deep as often as he does.

Maybe so. I will say that I've always thought that if Lofton would have come back for one more year he may have been one of the top linebackers to ever come thru Norman. He was really becoming dominant and destroyed Chase Daniel in the CCG that year.
Yeah, Curtis is up there on my list. Beast. I was at that CCG beatdown against the Tigers. Even at the half, Sooners took off in the 2nd. 😁

I just hope Redmond and Kelly’s return will spur a Championship Defense like the one in the 00 Orange Bowl and we have much greater days ahead in the fall that match or surpass the successes of the ladies softball team this summer

Reactions: Senior Sooner
Bookie's departure I regard as addition by subtraction.
I wish him all the best seems to be a good dude. Made horrible decisions during the game which cost the team dearly. Bookie thank you for the contributions and leadership, best of luck to you.

Reactions: iasooner2000
I just hope Redmond and Kelly’s return will spur a Championship Defense like the one in the 00 Orange Bowl and we have much greater days ahead in the fall that match or surpass the successes of the ladies softball team this summer
I like Kelly I just hope if he plays he’s at full speed and is the best we have at the position. Last time I saw him play I can’t say that was the case in my opinion.

Kelly and Bookie shows how highly rated players in high school can.....for one reason or another....not always work out on the college level.
Bomar was another example.
I would be pleasantly surprised if Kelly is the best OU has at his linebacking position, but he's definitely a key addition to the linebacking corps if healthy.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT