ADVERTISEMENT

Bookie is transferring.

So this got me wondering... he’s been apparently irreplaceable the last couple of years regardless of his play or antics on the field. I know there have been occasions when he wasn’t in the game but by and large he’s started the last couple of years.

Was he possibly told in this offseason that he has been passed up by younger talent and wouldn’t be a starter next year? Was this just a decision he made on his own? Just curious

So this got me wondering... he’s been apparently irreplaceable the last couple of years regardless of his play or antics on the field. I know there have been occasions when he wasn’t in the game but by and large he’s started the last couple of years.

Was he possibly told in this offseason that he has been passed up by younger talent and wouldn’t be a starter next year? Was this just a decision he made on his own? Just curious
Told it was a GREAT Idea, according to my sources... ;)

Sure he made some bonehead mistakes but he was the ONLY DB, that was always in the right place. A bunch of DB got better this year but Bookie never got caught out of position

Reactions: Belldozer1
In his defense...he did play more disciplined by the end of the season. But he was always the loose cannon. Wish him well wherever he ends up. Time for next man up ...

Reactions: iasooner1
Maybe you need to look the other way? Maybe pay more attention to the thread? Maybe?
I viewed the thread. I came here to post an alert, and noticed one had already been done. I have been critical of the players results on multiple posts throughout the year. I have not taken personal shots, I have not attacked personal appearance, and I have not diluted straight forward information with an inflammatory statement. There is a person that needs to look elsewhere in this thread and it ain't me.

I viewed the thread. I came here to post an alert, and noticed one had already been done. I have been critical of the players results on multiple posts throughout the year. I have not taken personal shots, I have not attacked personal appearance, and I have not diluted straight forward information with an inflammatory statement. There is a person that needs to look elsewhere in this thread and it ain't me.
Had a bad day blue?

Grinch is doing his job... improving the defense. His size finally caught up w/ him. His playing time did take a hit last year. While he made some really bad bone head mental mistakes that turned into 15 yd penalties, he played hard. As a 3 yr starter for the defense, I wish him the best.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
Had a bad day blue?
You are good at quips and one liners; I mean they are not good. But you seem to enjoy them. No actually had a good day, still am. Just have an issue with someone attacking a player that played for OU on a personal level...and there was nothing to attack. He was highly rated, made some plays, and in the end it didn't work out. But hey it's cool right, fro and all?

You are good at quips and one liners; I mean they are not good. But you seem to enjoy them. No actually had a good day, still am. Just have an issue with someone attacking a player that played for OU on a personal level...and there was nothing to attack. He was highly rated, made some plays, and in the end it didn't work out. But hey it's cool right, fro and all?

Get over yourself.

It was certainly no attack and it's transparent as to the intent you're trying to attach. Woody has been here a while and never crossed a line. Bookie is short and he sports a fro. The end.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Get over yourself.

It was certainly no attack and it's transparent as to the intent you're trying to attach. Woody has been here a while and never crossed a line. Bookie is short and he sports a fro. The end.
Since you say so okay, thanks BC for your advice.

He won't be missed, unless the defense plans on missing his 2 or 3 bonehead penalties per game and his constant getting beat deep. Never have understood how he was a 5 star player.

hes good friends with Pledger, so maybe when he left he decided to leave as well. Interested to see if he ends up at same school.

Reactions: iasooner1

Nice. That says everything that probably needs to be said:
  1. He's only 5'8" :)
  2. Riley wants him to stay.
  3. No proof, but the article eludes to the idea that the poor fanfare is driving him away from the program.
  4. Riley thinks he's one of the hardest workers, best ambassadors, and great student.
Gotta go with coach on this.

Last edited:
If poor fanfare is what’s driving him away, I’ve got news for him - transferring isn’t going to fix that. OU’s fanbase isn’t the only one that criticizes players for running their mouths (when they had nothing to do with the play) and committing bone-headed penalties. Those things are entirely within Bookie’s control to fix.

What’s not his fault is the fact that he was overrated to begin with. I thought we were getting a great player because of the 5* rating and all the hype he came in with. He has been average to slightly above average, nothing more.

Last edited:
Guess he could go the the U where they tolerate antics. If he had played more disciplined in 2020, he made plays down the stretch and would not have received “negative fanfare”. The way Riley talks about Bookie, his value off the field was pretty high.

Reactions: iasooner1A
For those that misunderstood my "toilet flushing" post, I was not in any way referring to Bookie the player, but rather my distaste towards the transfer portal, something I haven't come to grips with yet. My "fro" post was neither an attack on one's race or appearance but light hearted humor about Bookie's height and his big hair and exaggerated heights in sports in general. Bookie gave OU 100%, high motor and big heart for the game and I'm positive everyone of us here appreciates players like Bookie. It's just a shame he'll be remembered for his mouth instead of his play. Shut up and play the game.

For those that misunderstood my "toilet flushing" post, I was not in any way referring to Bookie the player, but rather my distaste towards the transfer portal, something I haven't come to grips with yet. My "fro" post was neither an attack on one's race or appearance but light hearted humor about Bookie's height and his big hair and exaggerated heights in sports in general. Bookie gave OU 100%, high motor and big heart for the game and I'm positive everyone of us here appreciates players like Bookie. It's just a shame he'll be remembered for his mouth instead of his play. Shut up and play the game.

I definitely misunderstood the toilet post, but I also wasn't surprised to come from someone. He gave plenty of reasons for fans to be aggravated.

I don't even understand how the "'fro" statement was spun at all. That was pure funny and not disrespectful in any way. The Rivals stats call him 5'10". The photo shows a giant-ass 'fro (probably 2 inches). The interview with Riley calls him 5'8".
5'8" + 2" = 5'10" Simple Math :)

What’s not his fault is the fact that he was overrated to begin with. I thought we were getting a great player because of the 5* rating and all the hype he came in with. He has been average to slightly above average, nothing more.

IMG tag. 😁

Strait was a damn good tackler as well as a smart, aggressive db. Good instincts that could diagnose a play quickly, we've been lacking that kind of playmaker for years imo.
Strait has been OU's best CB in this century so far and he's been gone for two decades. OU has had some good ones since 2001, but my opinion is that Strait was the best.
And FWIW, I believed after the 2000 championship season that I would see a few more championships, but somehow OU's resurgence had its ceiling.

ADVERTISEMENT