ADVERTISEMENT

BLOWN CALL!!!

Senior Sooner

Sooner starter
Dec 1, 2003
https://oklahoma.forums.rivals.com/javascript:void(0);
THE OKLAHOMAN & NEWSOK
NewsOK: Oklahoma City News, Sports, Weather & Entertainment

OU football: Lincoln Riley says 'classy' move by Big 12 to acknowledge clock error
by RYAN ABER
Published: Mon, October 12, 2020 12:18 PM Updated: Tue, October 13, 2020 1:21 PM

NORMAN — The Big 12 on Monday acknowledged a timing error in the fourth quarter of Saturday’s Sooners win over Texas. Saying in a statement that the clock should’ve been set to 5:57 following a fourth-quarter review instead of 6:36.

The extra 39 seconds could’ve played a critical difference in the end of regulation, where Texas scored with just 14 seconds left to force overtime.

The error occurred after Longhorns quarterback Sam Ehlinger went out of bounds on a third-down play and Texas was initially given a first down. After a review, Ehlinger was ruled short but officials set the clock to 6:36 — more time than remained before the second down play.

“Classy move by him,” Sooners coach Lincoln Riley said of Big 12 officiating liaison Greg Burks. “Greg’s been great. He’s fantastic to communicate with. … Nobody wants to hear it right now for players or officials, but our officials, there’s a lot of challenges with COVID as well. They’re handling mixed crews, travel issues.

“Greg’s been very transparent about that. He owns mistakes, holds his guys accountable and continues to push to get them better, just like we’re trying to do with our team.”
Riley said he plans to talk to Burks late in the week about how the error occurred.

Yes Riley, great to hear that the head of officials is ‘owning’ a huge mistake after the fact. Do you think Riley would have been all cool with it if we had lost? Maybe. Good grief there is really no accountability for anyone these days it seems. Riley: “Shake it off Greg, you’ll get em’ next time by golly”

Last edited:
Go back and watch the next to last play of the last Longhorn possession. Their slot receiver on the right, beat the snap count by at least half a second. No call. I guess it helped, since the Horns dropped flare pass got changed to incomplete on the play and second and goal from the 18.5. But that is the easiest call for the striped shirt guy on the right sideline to call. One good thing officials did for us. They had so many reviewed plays in the 4 OT's that OU's gassed defense got some rest.

Dyslexia can possibly be corrected with a sturdy whack upon the melon. They used to practice it way back. I read that somewhere. Possibly saw it on Dr. Phil. 😁

• Haha
Reactions: veritas59
I was happy but expected the comeback and thought we were goners many times and was surprised the Sooners won. Suck on that for another year Sam & steers !
Sam plus Tom prolly dgaf. But I'm with ya brother! They're roundin up the horses in Austin right now. Change of direction again for whorn.
Again.

Reactions: iasooner1
ADVERTISEMENT