ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest concern with a returning starter?

Phaeded

Sooner starter
Jun 5, 2001
Orlando Brown.

Why call out our best OL and probably our highest draft pick after this year? PERSONAL FOULS.

He must have had around 10 last year. Those are 10 drive-killers when you are shooting for 25 yards for a 1st down (unless Mayfield pulls off a miracle, usually after scrambling for his life...which is not something we should be encouraging).

I'm not sure what the fix is, but I didn't see him disciplined once last year for a personal foul. At least pull the kid for a play and talk to him about it.

Lacking Westbrook, Perrine and Mixon, I don't think this offense has the margin for error of multiple personal fouls this year.

Orlando Brown.

Why call out our best OL and probably our highest draft pick after this year? PERSONAL FOULS.

He must have had around 10 last year. Those are 10 drive-killers when you are shooting for 25 yards for a 1st down (unless Mayfield pulls off a miracle, usually after scrambling for his life...which is not something we should be encouraging).

I'm not sure what the fix is, but I didn't see him disciplined once last year for a personal foul. At least pull the kid for a play and talk to him about it.

Lacking Westbrook, Perrine and Mixon, I don't think this offense has the margin for error of multiple personal fouls this year.
I believe Brown could be coached away from making his stupid personal fouls.
But I agree with your concern. Bedenbaugh needs to get in his face, even if it's during a game. OU's margin for error will be much less this year with Westbrook, Perine and Mixon gone. And yes.....I'm putting most, if not all, of Brown's nonsense on the coaches.

Let's no confuse intensity with stupidity. There were plays that Brown got flagged for that were downright stupid and reckless.
Absolutely. It's great to play with a nasty attitude, as long as it can be controlled. Kid needs to learn how to turn it off when other players try to provoke him into doing stupid crap. It's a lack of self-discipline. Period.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
I'd rather him have "it" than not. Yes I would like to see him show some growth in maturity by stopping at the whistle. But his nasty attitude is a big part of how he plays. Mental softness has been a chief complaint around here for some time, now some of the same people are talking out the other side of their mouth.

Reactions: iasooner1
And my concern would be Jordan Thomas' focus. When he's tuned in, he's a 1st round pick caliber player.

Can't zone out cause you think they're not going to challenge you. To good for that ish.

I've heard (from unreliable sources) the coaches like his DE attitude on the OL. They want him "nasty".

Me, too. In fact, I remember one of the coaches being asked about it and saying something to the effect of they didn't want to temper his edge too much. Gotta be smart, but they like the intensity. It frustrated me, too, when he got penalized, but given the whole package, I'll take it.

I would like to see Brown play with "controlled fury"....as Jack Lambert did in the Super Bowl against Dallas after Cliff Harris taunted kicker Gerela on a missed field goal. Lambert immediately became Dallas' worst nightmare the rest of the game.
Key word here is "controlled".

I'd rather him have "it" than not. Yes I would like to see him show some growth in maturity by stopping at the whistle. But his nasty attitude is a big part of how he plays. Mental softness has been a chief complaint around here for some time, now some of the same people are talking out the other side of their mouth.
I don't think it's people talking out the other side of their mouths. Playing with a nasty attitude is great as long as it's not holding the team back. OUs defense in Bob's early years were full of kids that played with that kind of attitude, but also knew how to control it.

And my concern would be Jordan Thomas' focus. When he's tuned in, he's a 1st round pick caliber player.

Can't zone out cause you think they're not going to challenge you. To good for that ish.

We don't have one of the worst LB in the Stoops era as a team captain this year. That took off about a 20% of the plays. Hopefully we have a strong leader on the defense and one that doesn't need a talking to from his dad, to play like a Sooner.
I can't believe they left that on the field. I know he turned it up, the last part of the year. But he never should have been a starter, and damn sure not a leader.

Me, too. In fact, I remember one of the coaches being asked about it and saying something to the effect of they didn't want to temper his edge too much. Gotta be smart, but they like the intensity. It frustrated me, too, when he got penalized, but given the whole package, I'll take it.
Brown "nasty" demeanor cannot be allowed to take away from playing smart and disciplined football. Mayfield is going to need all the help he can get this year and he doesn't need a hot head teammate wrecking an important drive with a stupid foul.

We don't have one of the worst LB in the Stoops era as a team captain this year. That took off about a 20% of the plays. Hopefully we have a strong leader on the defense and one that doesn't need a talking to from his dad, to play like a Sooner.
I can't believe they left that on the field. I know he turned it up, the last part of the year. But he never should have been a starter, and damn sure not a leader.
Whatever Evans was or wasn't, OU's defense was hindered when he was not available. His injury during 2015 kept him out of two games and his injury in the Clemson game at the end of the 2015 season had him held out of contact in spring drills before the 2016 season Shoulder and knee issues plagued him.
I do believe he was a flawed player. His motivation was questionable aside from the injuries, but his injuries likely played a part in his efforts on the field.
But through all the issues with Evans, I wouldn't mind having "the worst LB in the Stoops' era" back for one more season.....healthy and motivated.

To have a LB with the attitude, control and physical toughness of Rocky Calmus. But I digress. My concern is how Baker's performance will be vacant of Dede, Joe and Samaje. Baker's talent and effort isn't an issue, but I think back to Mike Gundy's senior season without Barry Sanders and Hart Lee Dykes in the huddle. There's no question that OU as a team will have much more talent and better athletes than that Cowboy squad, but there seems to be quite a bit of talk from all my Sooner friends here in Tulsa and Oklahoma City about returning to the playoffs and even making the final game. I like this team, but I think that's a little too much to expect especially if it takes Baker a third of the season to get comfortable with his receivers. Not to mention how quickly the running game settles in. An injured Baker Mayfield would be devastating. Let's hope Baker doesn't have to do more than necessary in order to carry this offense. So injuries are my worry.

Agree Oklabama. Make that injuries AND suspensions, which seem to be the norm throughout CFB.
No one will ever confuse Jordan Evans with Calmus, Marshall, Rufus Alexander, Box, Lofton or several other Stoops' era linebackers. But when he did not play in 2016, the defense was not as good.

Agree Oklabama. Make that injuries AND suspensions, which seem to be the norm throughout CFB.
No one will ever confuse Jordan Evans with Calmus, Marshall, Rufus Alexander, Box, Lofton or several other Stoops' era linebackers. But when he did not play in 2016, the defense was not as good.

I'm not serious so forgive me, but the first thought I had reading your post was "geez, when was last time we had a good defense?" LOL. Yeah, I agree with you.

To have a LB with the attitude, control and physical toughness of Rocky Calmus. But I digress. My concern is how Baker's performance will be vacant of Dede, Joe and Samaje. Baker's talent and effort isn't an issue, but I think back to Mike Gundy's senior season without Barry Sanders and Hart Lee Dykes in the huddle. There's no question that OU as a team will have much more talent and better athletes than that Cowboy squad, but there seems to be quite a bit of talk from all my Sooner friends here in Tulsa and Oklahoma City about returning to the playoffs and even making the final game. I like this team, but I think that's a little too much to expect especially if it takes Baker a third of the season to get comfortable with his receivers. Not to mention how quickly the running game settles in. An injured Baker Mayfield would be devastating. Let's hope Baker doesn't have to do more than necessary in order to carry this offense. So injuries are my worry.

My biggest concern outside of injuries with Baker, is how DeDe seem to keep going and get open when the play broke down

Reactions: Oklabama
Orlando Brown.

Orlando is their enforcer. Some of his PF's are uncalled for. But two years ago in Waco, their cheap shot artist went after a couple of OUr guys. After Orlando speered him on the ground, about three seconds late, you never heard from Shawn Oakman again.

Occasionally, players have to take care of business when officials won't.

To my recollection, not one of Brown's PFs cost OU a game.
Not to my recollection either.
But a player can doesn't have to lose his composure in the name of proving his manhood or retaliating against an opposing player losing his composure.
Even Bob Stoops mentioned the need for Brown to maintain his composure....and in Brown's own words, "I don't mind being known as an aggressive player. I just don't want to be known as a stupid player". Nuff said.

Like most everyone, I hope that Brown can just cut the dumb penalties by 50%. I would hate to do anything to dampen his aggressiveness. We need him to play smarter, but I would hate to see him tone down his physical and nastiness.

Not to my recollection either.
But a player can doesn't have to lose his composure in the name of proving his manhood or retaliating against an opposing player losing his composure.
Even Bob Stoops mentioned the need for Brown to maintain his composure....and in Brown's own words, "I don't mind being known as an aggressive player. I just don't want to be known as a stupid player". Nuff said.
Agreed, I do recall Brown getting PF that were nothing more than carrying the play well after the whistle was blown.

Can't believe all the negativity on Orlando Brown just because of a PF or two. Just keep doing what your doing Orlando and protect your QB and fellow teammates. Please don't get thrown out of a game! Boomer Sooner

ADVERTISEMENT