ADVERTISEMENT

BIG 12 TITLE GAME

CalSooner

OU scholarship offer
May 29, 2001
Besides winning all the rest of their games, what would have to happen for OU to make the Big 12 Championship game?

Is is even a possibility?

I believe either ISU or KSU need to lose 3 and us win out...
There is one other chance. ISU or KSU wins the conference. The other loses 2. Then Texas or OSU end up with 2 losses and OSU wins head to head with the team that beat us.

The three way tie for 2nd could get us in. We'd have to win out. And we'd have to be the highest ranked in the three way.

This might actually be a better possibility. Not sure that KState or IState will lose three times.

Don't forget ... the KSU quarterback is now out for the season. I think there is a good chance that KSU will lose a couple of games. KSU has to still play OSU, ISU and Texas.

Iowa State has yet to play KSU, OSU and Texas.

Reactions: iasooner1
Conference seems to be a dumpster fire waiting to happen. If we win out, anything is possible.

Any team that loses to Kstate and Iowa State really doesn't deserve to be in any championship game
Disagree. If we’re going down that road then we need to turn in the trophies for 2002 & 2007 off the top of my head. Both seasons had losses that were worse than what I suspect KSU & ISU will end up being (KSU being the unknown now that they’ve lost their starting QB for the year).

Disagree. If we’re going down that road then we need to turn in the trophies for 2002 & 2007 off the top of my head. Both seasons had losses that were worse than what I suspect KSU & ISU will end up being (KSU being the unknown now that they’ve lost their starting QB for the year).

in 2002 we lost to A&M and OSU which were both road games. In 2007 we also lost 2 road games to Tech and Colorado...I believe this was when Smith fumbled that punt. We really weren't very good in either of those years but we were better than we are right now. Losing back to back games against inferior competition doesn't get me excited about going to a championship game

OU was 12-2 in 2002 (averaging 39 ppg to yielding 15 ppg) and 11-3 in 2007 (averaging 42 ppg to yielding 20 ppg), so I wouldn't say we were not very good those years.....although the term "road wimps" was used in OU's road game defeats.
As for losing to "inferior" competition, as long as OU has defensive issues, upset defeats will be a part of OU's body of work each season. Seeing such games, for me, is like watching a team trying to win with one hand (the defense) tied behind its back. And for all the higher rated recruiting advantages OU may have, the lack of defense seems to always be the great equalizer. This year is no exception.

I only wish Stevenson hadn't been a selfish jackass and gotten himself suspended. You can't tell me he wouldn't have made a difference in single possession losses to KSU and ISU.
I thought the same thing watching Stevenson and Perkins play last night. Given how close the twp losses were, I believe OU would have won with them playing.

Yesterday changed everything. OU has the most favorable remaining schedule. Three of four at home. WVU would seem more challenging after their best performance of the season against KState at home.

Thank you Mountaineers.

But KState has to still play with their backup quarterback against OSU at home this coming weekend. After that, still Texas, Iowa State and l forget. But if the Wildcats lose two more, and OU wins out, OU is in the CCG no matter what else happens.

And yesterday, OU looked clearly like the best team in the conference. If you hate OSU, you still need to pull for a Cowboy win this Saturday.

Remember, this year, OU doesn't end the year with the Pokes. After Kansas this weekend, we have an open date, followed by OSU. Both games are in Norman.

Everybody now has a conference loss.

Yeah, my understanding of Big 12 tiebreakers is that head to head goes first, but in a three way tie, where each team has beaten the other once, then the first tie breaker, before you go to point differential, whoever has the best win gets the tie break. So if you beat the first place team and the others didn't, then you'd win the tie breaker. Pretty sure it's still the same tie breaker.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
ADVERTISEMENT