ADVERTISEMENT

Best Image of the RRS

WP76

Sooner starter
Oct 4, 2001
Ej-vuch-WAAMDf-Sa.jpg

She's a hottie no doubt. She was most definitely pissed & I think her anger was directed at Ehlinger for throwing the INT.

Fortunately, they do that so infrequently, it's easy to forget but, yeah, you're right.
I had my first exposure to Texas fans at an early age after the 1958 and 1959 losses, 15-14 and 19-12.
At the 1958 game, we had a Horn fan wearing an all orange band uniform with a large cowbell. I recall my dad asking him to stop clanking it in our ears, then later telling him what to do with it. As we left, we heard the Horn fans chant "poooooor Sooners" as we left the Cotton Bowl.
Never dreamed that OU would win only one game in the 13 seasons that followed....then in 1971, my dad and I attended OU's 48-27 win which ended the drought. DKR really had OU's number those years. Always seemed as if Texas entered the OU game KNOWING it would win and OU entering the game HOPING it would win.

I had my first exposure to Texas fans at an early age after the 1958 and 1959 losses, 15-14 and 19-12.
At the 1958 game, we had a Horn fan wearing an all orange band uniform with a large cowbell. I recall my dad asking him to stop clanking it in our ears, then later telling him what to do with it. As we left, we heard the Horn fans chant "poooooor Sooners" as we left the Cotton Bowl.
Never dreamed that OU would win only one game in the 13 seasons that followed....then in 1971, my dad and I attended OU's 48-27 win which ended the drought. DKR really had OU's number those years. Always seemed as if Texas entered the OU game KNOWING it would win and OU entering the game HOPING it would win.

The first RRS (of five) I've ever attended was in 1990. We lost by three when Texas returned a fumble for a touchdown. As I was leaving the stadium with my 12 year old son minding my own business, some drunk Texas asshole got in my face. It took everything I had to walk away from him. Years later, that same son recalled the incident and told me how much respect he had for me controlling myself in that situation.

Last edited:

I was a student manager for the football program from 1969-72. That 1971 RRR, before they called it that, was the highlight of my time at OU. We had ten managers, but only one or occasionally two, made the trip with the team. However, if you got to the game site by yourself, you could work the game. So I was on the sideline for all four OU-Texas games when I was a student. But the 1971 game was my trip. I still have the itinerary in my office.

Because of the long drought, hc Chuck Fairbanks was so excited with his first win over Texas, he told the team afterward, "Everybody who made the trip, gets a game ball." I was pretty excited. They gave us all autograph balls, but I had to do a little negotiation with equipment man, Jack Baer, to get mine. He finally agreed, but told me that I'd have to pay to get Ugh to decorate my game ball. So I had my artistic sister do it for me. Then I got it autographed by every player, including several who didn't make the trip.

That game was the 1971 version of Red October. The 60's weren't great times for OU football. We only had two outright Big 8 championships. Shared it in '68, and beat co-champs Kansas, but the Jayhawks got to go to the Orange Bowl. OU got the Astro Bluebonnet Bowl in Houston, and lost by a point to SMU when OUr best offensive and defensive players, Bob Warmack and Steve Zabel, sustained knee injuries less than five minutes apart in the first half.

Then my freshman year, in 1969. Steve Owens became the last Heisman winner to not get to play in a bowl game. We were 6-4, with three blowout losses, to KState, and conference co champs, Mizzou and Nebraska.

1970 was a slight improvement. We went back to Houston for the bowl game and tied Bear Bryant's Crimson Tied 24-24. But it convinced him he ought to switch to the wishbone.

After the 71 win in Dallas, DKR never beat his alma mater again. And Texas decided to have more than a token African American on their roster. Earl Campbell probably had a lot to do with that.

In those days, we actually flew back and forth to the game. Part of that was the stretch of two lane highway before I-35 was completed. My freshman year, I drove to the game with friends, and the drive back on Sunday, took close to four hours. Winding through two lanes in the Arbuckles we traveled less than 20 miles an hour for a long time.

In '71, when we flew back to OKC, there were more than two thousand Sooner fans, excitedly awaiting at Will Rogers. They let them onto the tarmac, and we deplaned, there, got on the bus, and drove back to Norman.

Last edited:
Great read, Plaino.
I will always cherish that 48-27 win I attended with my dad in 1971 as it ended a 13 year drought, starting with the 15-14 defeat in 1958 which I also attended, the first year of the 2-point conversion rule.....a new rule that Royal opposed that summer.
1970 really laid the foundation for OU's great decade to follow.
I attended the Bluebonnet Bowl that December to see two teams that were to dominate CFB for the next ten years....and was very relieved to see Derr's last minute FG ruled successful to tie the game....and even happier when the Alabama kicker shanked a chip-shot FG as the game ended.
Also, I will always wonder how OU would have done had it been bowl eligible afrer the 1973-1974 season, most likey against either Notre Dame or Alabama.

Reactions: iasooner1
Great read, Plaino.
I will always cherish that 48-27 win I attended with my dad in 1971 as it ended a 13 year drought, starting with the 15-14 defeat in 1958 which I also attended, the first year of the 2-point conversion rule.....a new rule that Royal opposed that summer.
1970 really laid the foundation for OU's great decade to follow.
I attended the Bluebonnet Bowl that December to see two teams that were to dominate CFB for the next ten years....and was very relieved to see Derr's last minute FG ruled successful to tie the game....and even happier when the Alabama kicker shanked a chip-shot FG as the game ended.
Also, I will always wonder how OU would have done had it been bowl eligible afrer the 1973-1974 season, most likey against either Notre Dame or Alabama.
The reason for Bama's chip shot opportunity on New Year's Eve, 1970, was after his field goal tied it 24-24, Derr made the worst onsides kick in Sooner history. The ball didn't go more than a few yards forward, then curled back toward the 40, and past it.

CT started the possession at OUr 38 or 39.

ADVERTISEMENT