ADVERTISEMENT

Berry Tramel Has Oklahoma at No. 4...His Poll Method

ouhobo

Sooner starter
Nov 6, 2001
http://newsok.com/college-football-rankings-byu-is-no.-1/article/5446626

We have a new No. 1 team in college football. At least we have a team that ought to be a new No. 1. The Brigham Young Cougars.

Remember how my rankings work. I only judge résumés. Who have you played? Where did you play them? Who did you beat? I judge the teams how I think the football playoff committee should judge them.

No projections. No predictions. No credit for beating a bad team.

If that’s how you analyze a team, the top 10 looks a lot different than the traditional football polls. Here is this week’s top 10:

1. Brigham Young: The Cougars have two quality wins — at Nebraska, home against Boise State. No other team can match BYU’s two victories, and winning on do-or-die passes on consecutive weeks is a plus, as far as I’m concerned.
  2. Michigan State: The Spartans, playing at home, beat Oregon 31-28. Epic September game. Good for Michigan State. Heck, good for Oregon. Playing the Spartans within 31-28 in East Lansing is the sign of a good team.
  3. Ohio State: The Buckeyes still have the quality win at Virginia Tech, but playing at home against Hawaii brought Ohio State back to the pack.
  4. Oklahoma: Winning at Tennessee was a wonderful win, no matter how it occurred. Looking strong for most of four quarters isn’t the goal. Winning is the goal.
  5. Alabama: I assume beating Wisconsin at JerryWorld will pay off for Bama all season long. Looks good now.
  6. Toledo: Winning at Arkansas won’t be enough to keep the Rockets in the top 10 long, but for now, there aren’t many teams that can match it.
  7. Oregon: The Ducks get credit for a close defeat in East Lansing.
  8. Temple: The Owls got a lot of press for beating Penn State in Philadelphia, but winning at Cincinnati is the better win.
  9. Kentucky: Big night for the Stoops brothers. While Bob and Mike were surviving Tennessee, Mark Stoops’ Wildcats won a stunner at South Carolina.
  10. Notre Dame: Two decent wins, home against Texas and at Virginia, get the Fighting Irish on the list.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.