ADVERTISEMENT

Bedlam softball game time moved thrice, then cancelled.

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
They finish the season with one in Norman today and one in Stillwater tomorrow. Today's game was originally scheduled for 2 p.m. but yesterday it was announced that they were going to play at 11:30 to beat the wet, bad weather. And the game would be tape and shown on ESPN 2 at the original scheduled time.

Apparently with all the rain yesterday, was no longer possible. Game time is now set for 4 p.m. today with no ESPN television. But according to the Soonersports website, it will be streamed on Soonersports.com for free. Not feeling real confident about how easily they'll get today played. Or Sunday at noon in Stillwater, for that matter. Those clay infields don't dry easily.

But if you want to watch the ladies, check the official OU sports site around 4:00.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
Curious timing---the rain that I see forecasted on Yahoo weather is arriving at about 4:00 with no rain earlier. Couldn't get the field dry earlier? I think they ae trying to get these games in rather desperately since this is the last weekend before NCAA bids go out (Monday, I think). Of course, Texas could eliminate Baylor today in Austin.

The games are now a moot point and only serve to help Lauren and Shelby enhance their numbers.

Texas scored three in the bottom of the sixth to eliminate Baylor, 5-3. OU wins the Big Twelve.

Actually the game wasn't cancelled, unfortunately. It will be made up as a double header tomorrow with both games in Stillwater. I wonder what they'll do with Sooner fans who paid for Saturday.

The one game in Stillwater was supposed to start at noon tomorrow. Now the first game will start there at 11 a.m. with the second game to follow thirty minutes later.

I guess the new edit feature doesn't allow us to change the headline. Sorry about that, or I would have put the cancellation in the header.

Yes you can edit the thread title (if you started the thread). Look under the "headline". See the "Thread Tools" button? That feature does not list the tools who post in threads. ;) It is for editing the thread title.

Last edited:
An 11 is an outrage. The SEC has someone bamboozled. Florida, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, Missouri, LSU, seeded above the #4 team in the country!!! At least, we get Alabama, and I think we can handle them.

SOS was a big factor. OU's was pretty bad. When I saw that Baylor wasn't seeded, I knew we might be in trouble. When I saw that Tennessee went all the way up to an eight, I knew we were out, unless they put UCLA on the outside and I didn't expect it to happen. Like it or not, the politics is a very big deal in women's seedings. OU doesn't do well in those circumstances. I wish they'd have made us a ten. I'd love to have played at UCLA rather than at Bama. But we'll see.

I told you to expect this two weeks ago, and you told me I was crazy. Not so much, apparently.

You are still crazy, but you now have company. That was totally absurd. They have teams with twice as many losses above us. SOS is only valid if earned. The SEC really didn't do anything to earn their SOS. So, they get their SOS by playing each other, never having left the south. This should be enough to get them to take a look at how they determine SOS. OU spent three weeks early in the year traveling. Most of the SEC teams went none or one outside their region. Most had their preseason tournaments at home. We may have to schedule preseason tournaments in Norman, or OKC.

There is no way that Florida State, Tennessee, and Missouri should be ahead of us.

Florida has wins over several top ranked teams. They had better non conference wins that OU did.

Your argument is that the SEC wins over each other were circular because they didn't beat anybody else. But all of them have wins over better teams than OU does. OU beat UDub, but UDub isn't seeded. OU split with Arizona State, but ASU isn't seeded. OU split with Arizona, but Arizona is seeded below OU. OU won two of three from Baylor. But Baylor isn't seeded. They were swept by ULaLa who is seeded behind OU. OU beat UGa by a run. But UGa is seeded behind OU. OU had one shot against a team seeded ahead of them and they got swept.

There are no wins on OU's schedule over teams in the top ten seeds. That is why we are an 11 seed. Losing a game to Kansas didn't help. Getting run ruled at home to Baylor a week after they got swept at ULaLa didn't help. There was nothing to offset it. Everybody had a loss or two. But most of the teams ranked ahead of us had a lot of wins against others in the top ten. And FSU, who is ranked ahead of us, still will have to travel to UTenn if the seeds hold. The lack of a conference tournament was a factor in SOS which was a huge factor in RPI. And unlike you claimed two weeks ago, RPI, not rankings were the primary consideration.

OU's RPI was lower than their seed. The RPI was 14th. The seed 11th.

Go look at the conference schedules of the teams in the SEC. Then, look at OU's. Let's take Tennessee as an example. Tennessee came out of nowhere to be seeded #8.

OU played the first seventeen games of the season on the road at various tournaments. Only two of those games were near us, in Houston. The rest were in Arizona, California, and Hawaii. Then, OU played nine non-entities in Norman. Then, we went to LSU and McNeese for three games. Of our first twenty road games, five were on the field of our opponents, hardly neutral sites. So, now, OU has begun the season with twenty games on the road, and nine at home.

During the conference season, we played six games against non-conference teams, five at home. So, we played twenty-one non-conference games on the road, fourteen at home. Six were on the field of our opponents.

Tennessee played four in Georgia and five in Florida at neutral sites. One game, Kennessee State, was on their home field. Then, Tennessee went to Cathedral City, CA and lost two of three to he first legitimate opponents they had played. So, they played thirteen on the road, five against legitimate competition, only one at someone's home field.

Then, Tennessee had the Tennessee Classic which was cancelled by weather and the Tennessee Invitational which brought five games in Knoxville. Then, they had two games in Knoxville. During the conference season, they played six games in Knoxville against non-entities, losing one of them, and one at VPI. So, their non-conference schedule had fourteen games on the road, two on someone's home field (Kennesaw and VPI) and thirteen in Knoxville.

Twenty-one and fourteen versus fourteen and thirteen. Tennessee was 21-4. OU was 30-5. But, OU played four top teams on their home field. Tennessee played none. Now, where was Tennessee ahead of OU?

Tennessee actually played more on the road than most SEC teams. See how many times some left their own house.

It's understandable that you're missing the point, again. You somehow want to value non conference games in February and March, more highly than conference games later than that. And we played LSU after confernence play started and lost twice, once by run rule. It was a huge weekend. We knew it would be and it didn't go well. You want to ignore that.

You're arguing with me for pointing out why the decision was made. And you want to overvalue neutral site games that you want to call road games. They are not road games. We played Arizona, Washington and Arizona State who were competent, but not top teams. The record against them was okay. Not great.

There is not a single team in the top ten seeded teams that OU played and beat. It doesn't matter when. But all of the other teams in the top eight played against those teams and won. They also lost some. But they played them. OU played only LSU and without a win.

They played one game against Georgia, whom I think is 14th and won by a run. But none of this matters. The brackett is set. And you will complain, as is your right, even if your evidence is shabby. OU's peer group in the schedule of this regular season has been the teams in the second ten. We won more than we lost, and we won a conference title, which is why we're at the top of that group.

UTenn moved up because they played and beat teams in the top ten. Their only loss in the tournament was in extra innings on the fourth straight day of playing, to the fourth seed in the tournament. They have double digit games against teams in the top ten in the bracket. They lost more than they won against those teams. But they have wins over Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Mizzou, Florida State. They were a young team that got pretty good in the last month. I don't like that they were seeded above us, but that is why.

OU has two games against top ten teams and lost both of them. It's about SOS and RPI and OU's schedule was sorely lacking there. It is why we'll have to go to Tuscaloosa most likely, if we win the Regional.

Go Huskies.

No. Plaino. I'm saying that you can't rate a conference highly for rpi unless that conference has earned it. You can't simply say that the SEC has a high rpi, and that you should have a high rpi if you beat SEC teams. Why does the SEC have a high rpi?

----SEC teams almost never left the area
----if the SEC teams left the area, they didn't go play a tough time at their house.
----most SEC teams played most of their non-conference schedule at home

OK. How did they get a high rpi if they didn't go on the road?

Isn't it interesting that Kansas had a high rpi for a Big Twelve team, second or third, when they were swept in Lawrence by Texas and Baylor, and lost two of three in Lawrence to OU, and two of three in Lubbock? What is wrong with the rpi if a team that loses so badly is rated ahead of the teams that beat them? Oh. Incidentally, Kansas played their ONE non-conference trip in Florida, playing nobody at all, but losing to Florida, the only top fifty team they played.

---they played in Florida, but beat nobody of note?

My CLEAR POINT is that the rpi somehow has been "manufactured" to favor SEC area teams.

Louisiana---Lafayette was highly rated, but lost to a couple of the teams in their little conference.

You also have to look at their losses. OU did not lose to a Western Kentucky in Norman. Tennessee did, in Knoxville. OU had zero losses to teams like that.

Again, you're looking at things from your biased perspective. It's about weighing quality of schedule. It's not OU's fault that the conference had a bad year. OU is without a single win over a top ten team. You seem to ignore that. Two games against a top ten team, both losses.

Baylor played like eight games against seeded teams. Their only win was a run rule over OU. OU did sweep Texas and Texas had a couple of wins over top teams, But they had a couple of horrible losses. And OU is the only top team with one proven starter. Everybody else has more than one. It starts to add up. All this will go away if they can win a very winnable regional and then figure out how to win two of three in the Supers. It will be harder on the road. But it can be done. If the Sooners had scored more than two runs in Baton Rouge while surrendering 11, then this might be different, but they didn't. All those .400 batting averages managed seven hits and two runs. It is what it is. And what it is, is an 11 seed.

So now, the important task is moving forward, rather than looking back.

No. Baylor actually beat the #2 seed. Want to know why? Unlike the SEC teams that refuse to venture out to play anyone and establish a legitimate rpi, Oregon went to Waco and split 1-4, 2-1 with Baylor. Texas had to go to UCLA, but Texas won. None of the SEC teams wanted to venture out to play anyone. Actually, none of the Pac-12 teams wanted to either.

But, their refusal to go outside the SEC invalidates their position in the rpi.

You still haven't explained how Kansas is so highly-ranked in the rpi. Once you examine their record, it becomes obvious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT