ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball

Well, that sucked. OU was on the road against a not very good OSU team and the Sooners get their asses kicked. Embarrassing. I don't know enough about basketball and coaching to say "this is why OU lost," or "Kruger should have done this," but I can't help but feel a lot of it had to do with coaching and the game plan vs. the Cowboys.

The Sooners have games coming up against Tech at home, WVU on the road, texas at home and TCU on the road. Right now, I'm guessing the Sooners will be lucky to go 2-2 to finish the regular season. Depending on where their seed in the B12 Tourney, they might win one game and then get a 10 or 11 seed in the Big Dance, only to do a "one and done."

I'm just about ready to come over to the "Time for Lon to go" crowd. This mediocrity is getting real old and my patience has worn thin with Lon.

NIT bound, Kruger lives and dies by the 3 point shot. at one in the 2nd half ou was 1/15 from long distance. This has been the style of play since Buddy Buckets. I agree its time for a change, there are some talented guys on this roster, they need a big time post player to help out the shooters.

OU's big people on both sides, men and women, seem to seldom be very big. We have some tall, but Kuath is 6-10 and yet, only 220. Manek has grown a little in two years, but he's still not nearly strong enough to play against a strong guy on the other post, defensively. Kuath gets routinely abused. He's a good helper on somebody else's man.

OUr post guys cannot defend anybody of quality.

When we play defense, you can see our guys having drilled on rotation. But since Kelvin Sampson left, we haven't played the kind of defense it takes to get past the first week of the NCAA's.

We can get hot from three and threaten a good team occasionally, but if OU makes the tournament, they'll be very unlikely to win a game. I'm not sure the Sooners could win two games at home in the NIT.

==================
Post edit:

On the girls side, they are way, way, way too small. They were so short of big people a year ago, then brought in a class with seven players and over half were under 6'0. It doesn't allow players to do what they do best. I get it. Big players are hard to find. But OU is starting one player over six feet tall. And she's 6-1, expected to defend post players in a league with most teams having a couple of 6'4 or taller starters.

I support Sherri Coale. But this is hard to fathom. And they fact that they have one of the best three point shooters in the country, but have trouble getting her open looks, is based on the fact that other quality conference teams don't have to ever double down on any of OUr post players. It keeps the lane clogged, which means the only chance OU has to win a game, is to make a lot of three's. That they have not figured out a way to get decent looks for Robertson, has a lot of issues behind it. Her lack of ball handling skill and abiltiy to make something happen anywhere inside the arc, is at least in part about lack of inside threat. The opposing lane is always clogged against good teams.

Having said all that, I don't think changing coaches is going to help much. In either sport. I know it's not true, but OU has all the appearances of sports teams 40 years ago or more, where there was an unofficial limit by most state schools on how many African American kids you could have on a team. I just think Sherri was a short white girl who was pretty good as a player, and likes recruiting them.

OU is a non factor in the conference. I don't expect to be top two every or even most seasons. But I do expect us to be good enough for that, some.

==========================

Post edit II:
BTW, because this team has no seniors, there is only one recruit in this class. She is a 5'5 point guard, who plays private school ball in Plano, though she's from McKinney. I read that she's pretty quick. But how is it that we are so small, and recruiting somebody who will be shorter than a couple of gymnasts?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT