ADVERTISEMENT

baker

OUnabomber

Sooner signee
Jul 16, 2017
Montana
Is he going to be able to turn it around this year? The guy is a turnover machine and has really been terrible this season. Starting to look pretty bad

His offensive line is making Rex Ryan look like a genius. The Browns have some really good skill players, but that offensive line is horrible. At this rate Baker is going to be lucky to survive the season.

Right here is your answer. Lots of great skill players around him, but the O-line is terrible. One INT was on Baker, but he was getting pressured as he threw. The second was completely on the receiver. The two fumbles were due to getting hit while in the pocket. But all this doesn't happen if the O-line could provide him with some protection. Not to mention, the D-line got no pressure on the 49er QB and they gashed the Browns with their running game. Bad game all around for the Browns, not just Baker.

The NFL ain't College Football.
Ask Josh Heupel, Jason White - heck, even Sam Bradford.
That's why, when our guys are finished at OU, I sincerely wish them the best of luck as they move on - in life, not just in football.
Sam and Baker and Kyler are financially set for life.
Hope they do well in the league.
But no skin off my nose if they don't.
It's a different game with much different talent.
Baker and Kyler could scramble and get away from most any lineman or linebacker in the NCAA.
Very few of these guys in the NFL that they can consistently get away from.

Video says otherwise from where I'm standing:

Yeah - Saw the same thing. My initial reaction was the same as Schoonerman. Then I saw the videos. Can't understand why Sherman would make such a big deal about something that never happened, knowing that there would be multiple cameras videoing the coin toss. I didn't watch the game, did RS take a hit to the head?

My guess is that Sherman wanted a handshake after the coin flip, and that's the one to which he was referring.
Baker took off the second that coin hit the ground as if he had explosive diarrhea and needed to hit the locker room right quick. Even the other Browns' captains hesitated before leaving the scene. I think it took 2 to Tango on this flub.

Was out to dinner and they had ESPN on the TV - no sound - but it was easy to see that Baker did shake hands and Sherman is just stirring up controversy with this claim of Baker not shaking his hand. It's bad enough that the Niners spanked the Browns on MNF, but the flag-planting motion by Bosa and Sherman's fabricated story are the kind of rah-rah, college-b.s. kind of stuff they're complaining about.

His offensive line is making Rex Ryan look like a genius. The Browns have some really good skill players, but that offensive line is horrible. At this rate Baker is going to be lucky to survive the season.

I’m with you there, dam those tackles are horible pass blockers. It’s hard to not get gun shy when your internal clock is screwed playing with scrubs at tackle. I just hope he doesn’t end up with a David Carr syndrome.

The oline may not be great but Baker is certainly doing his share of screwing up. The guy constantly overthrows receivers and looks lost most of the time. I hope he eventually settles down and figures things out.

Reactions: iasooner1
The NFL ain't College Football.
Ask Josh Heupel, Jason White - heck, even Sam Bradford.
That's why, when our guys are finished at OU, I sincerely wish them the best of luck as they move on - in life, not just in football.
Sam and Baker and Kyler are financially set for life.
Hope they do well in the league.
But no skin off my nose if they don't.
It's a different game with much different talent.
Baker and Kyler could scramble and get away from most any lineman or linebacker in the NCAA.
Very few of these guys in the NFL that they can consistently get away from.
My apathy towards pro football is such that when an OU player gets drafted, his football career is over for me. I'm just glad he played well as a Sooner.

My apathy towards pro football is such that when an OU player gets drafted, his football career is over for me. I'm just glad he played well as a Sooner.

If neither Baker nor Kyler pan out then I'm afraid it might reflect bad on OU and future OU quarterbacks.

If neither Baker nor Kyler pan out then I'm afraid it might reflect bad on OU and future OU quarterbacks.

Why would it? Many great CFB QB never panned out in the NFL. Heck Bart Starr wasn’t even a starter at Alabama his senior year and is considered one of the greatest NFL QBs ever. Being great at one level doesn’t always translate to being great at the next level.

It may be in Mel Kiper's eyes but the fact that Mayfield and Murray were the two most talented quarterbacks in OU history should keep Riley's QB recruiting in good shape.
If these two players don't pan out, I think it looks worse on the NFL scouts.
Remember too that Cleveland and Arizona are teams in rebuild mode, so the talent level surrounding these two guys isn't too good. I think it's way too early to bury them.

It may be in Mel Kiper's eyes but the fact that Mayfield and Murray were the two most talented quarterbacks in OU history should keep Riley's QB recruiting in good shape.
If these two players don't pan out, I think it looks worse on the NFL scouts.
Remember too that Cleveland and Arizona are teams in rebuild mode, so the talent level surrounding these two guys isn't too good. I think it's way too early to bury them.

I'm not saying it will hurt recruiting. I'm saying it could make NFL teams think twice before drafting an OU QB under Riley as the #1 pick.

Oh believe me I'm not burying either one of them yet. I think both are awesome players that will eventually be successful given the right circumstances.

I'm not saying it will hurt recruiting. I'm saying it could make NFL teams think twice before drafting an OU QB under Riley as the #1 pick.

Oh believe me I'm not burying either one of them yet. I think both are awesome players that will eventually be successful given the right circumstances.
I agree with you.
But my concern for how college players, especially Oklahoma players, are viewed by NFL teams is of no concern for me.....even though I watch the draft every April to watch the bear bellies in the audience boo certain selections as if they know more than the scouts.
I'm happy they had good careers in the 3-5 years at OU or anywhere else.

Following? Whatever man. We're on the same board... so realistically that's probably not going to happen. I mean you even post on threads I've started. It's the way of message boards. There are 12 other posters that have posted in this thread... yet you singled me out as 'following' you. I think it is you that is obsessing. And as usual, I'll post as I feel like, when I feel like it.

Last edited:
Following? Whatever man. We're on the same board... so realistically that's probably not going to happen. I mean you even post on threads I've started. It's the way of message boards. There are 12 other posters that have posted in this thread... yet you singled me out as 'following' you. I think it is you that is obsessing. And as usual, I'll post as I feel like, when I feel like it.

Of course you will

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner

The offensive line is a problem, but it is not THE problem.

The OL isn't that bad on every play. Even on the plays where the OL gives Baker 3-4 secs to throw without pressure, he is still making bad decisions and bailing on a clean pocket.

Seahawks and Cardinals both have worse OLs than the Browns and yet Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray both look better than Baker this year.

Last season it looks like Baker had an easier time reading coverages post-snap. Defenses seemed to not disguise that much and he was making good reads.

This year is a different story. Much more rotation and man-zone shifting post-snap. He is hesitating a lot more and that hesistation is a disaster when you have a weak OL

Reactions: JConXtsy
ADVERTISEMENT