ADVERTISEMENT

Article in FanNation on OU's "widespread cultural change" by Venables.....

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
Venables changed their academic schedule, practice times, workout regimen, game planning, etc. So many changes, according to Mims, "made it hard to cultivate leadership".
"Venables offered 'holistic' changes-and that's exactly what he implemented in the form of programmatic, logistical and fundamental alterations to everything the players had been accustomed to".
Mims said he will play in the bowl game but doesn't know what he will do beyond that. Then he said of Venables "he brought a lot of things that players have to get adjusted to, especially Schmitty coming back. You got to do the things he wants you to do the ways he wants you to do them. Basically, that's the biggest thing, is just getting adjusted to that".

Ya I read that yesterday. I understand V wanting to make the program his own, but this may speak to his excitement and inexperience as a head coach. Trying to do too much too fast.
I read what Mims said and it didn’t sound too complimentary of BV’s changes or Smitty for that matter. Maybe too many cultural changes at one time. For me, I’m getting tired of watching the team come onto the field arm in arm and playing like crap most of the game.

I read what Mims said and it didn’t sound too complimentary of BV’s changes or Smitty for that matter. Maybe too many cultural changes at one time. For me, I’m getting tired of watching the team come onto the field arm in arm and playing like crap most of the game.
Th arm in arm thing is silly. That only works when you’re in the hunt for a natty not when you’re 6-6.

I guess the "buy in" we heard so much about was PR. But for me, this is on Mims, not the staff.

Changing the practice schedule means doing what most teams do, and what OU did for a century, before TBOW changed to morning practices.

EVERY coach makes big changes when he takes over a new program. And most players hate Schmidt whole they're in the program. But the best ones love what he did for them in retrospect after they sign a pro contract. And talk about it five or more years later.

Mims substantially under-performed this season. At least one loss, maybe two were in part a result of his dropping wide open TD passes. I'm glad he stayed. But he needs to get his stuff together.

Sounds like the softness of Riley is still alive within the Program. Cannot wait until all the players are Venables recruits.
He may have been doing too much to fast but its his show now, my way or the highway kind of thing.
May be why he said not too long ago that if there was anyone that doesn't want to be there or is trying to sabbotage what he is trying to do he will help them leave.

Sounds like the softness of Riley is still alive within the Program. Cannot wait until all the players are Venables recruits.
He may have been doing too much to fast but its his show now, my way or the highway kind of thing.
May be why he said not too long ago that if there was anyone that doesn't want to be there or is trying to sabbotage what he is trying to do he will help them leave.
Not disagreeing with you, but we will find out who wants to stay and who wants to leave pretty soon. If we end up playing the bowl with several freshmen that will be okay with me. Maybe even better in some positions. What does Brent have to lose at this point? 7-6 or 6-7 will depend on more who we end up playing, IMO.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Not disagreeing with you, but we will find out who wants to stay and who wants to leave pretty soon. If we end up playing the bowl with several freshmen that will be okay with me. Maybe even better in some positions. What does Brent have to lose at this point? 7-6 or 6-7 will depend on more who we end up playing, IMO.

Yep I wouldn't have a problem with that either. I guess a Bowl win would be something to build on for next year but so would some freshmen getting some playing time if it comes to that. A Bowl loss at this point is not a death blow to the program unless its Arkie, I would never hear the end of it from Arkie fans. 😁

Yep I wouldn't have a problem with that either. I guess a Bowl win would be something to build on for next year but so would some freshmen getting some playing time if it comes to that. A Bowl loss at this point is not a death blow to the program unless its Arkie, I would never hear the end of it from Arkie fans. 😁
If we play Arkansas and we want DeMarco to suit up. 😂

Reactions: OUSOONER67
You and me both 67.

Time will tell. Venables chooses to run his program like a marine corps boot camp. That worked back in the 20th century. Will it resonate with today's players? Time will tell.

If his Coaching and cultural inputs worked, there would be little noise. We are toiling in the Big 12 lower echelon and barely made a bowl. A who cares bowl of misfits and underachievers. Play football and get to work for next year already...

Reactions: iasooner2000
Time will tell. Venables chooses to run his program like a marine corps boot camp. That worked back in the 20th century. Will it resonate with today's players? Time will tell.
I have a hunch it doesn't work with type of players the old regime recruited. It works for a lot of the top programs, Georgia, Bama, Ohio State & Clemson. I think players that want more autonomy will seek out other programs to be more comfortable.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Honestly sounds like SOFT players to me that are used to doing what they want to do without accountability. Used to playing grab ass instead of busting ass to get better day in and day out. You can see that same attitude at USC. I don't want that style of program or player. You either crap and get off the pot or get the Hell out!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT