ADVERTISEMENT

Army v. OU Conversation

WP76

Sooner starter
Oct 4, 2001
Was on the Fort Sill golf course practice range yesterday afternoon and saw a young man wearing a shirt from the 2018 Army-Navy Game. He was absolutely "chiseled" and hitting the ball to the back fence--when he hit it straight LOL.

(While keeping the appropriate distance) I asked him if he had been an Army football player. He said that he was and asked him if he'd been a linebacker, guessing his weight to be in the mid-200s. He laughed and said he'd been an o-lineman. (Army's linemen do generally have to pare off some weight before they can graduate.) We talked for a few minutes about Army football and specifically about the Army-OU game in 2018 and the Army-Michigan game in 2019. Both were games Army lost in overtime.

He told me that even though Michigan's crowd was about 20,000 bigger than OU's, the Sooner fans were consistently louder--especially when the game was on the line. The Army team was very disappointed in losing to OU but they knew they had to play nearly perfectly to win. He said the loss to Michigan was disappointing in a slightly different way as his team made multiple mistakes against the Wolverines.

I told him how proud I was of the way he and his teammates conducted themselves before, during, and after the game--to include leaving their locker room in spotless condition when they left. Bottom line is that he was a very intelligent, articulate, and impressive young man and I count myself fortunate to be numbered among people like him.

Sorry for the long post but I felt I just had to share this with my Sooner brethren.

Was on the Fort Sill golf course practice range yesterday afternoon and saw a young man wearing a shirt from the 2018 Army-Navy Game. He was absolutely "chiseled" and hitting the ball to the back fence--when he hit it straight LOL.

(While keeping the appropriate distance) I asked him if he had been an Army football player. He said that he was and asked him if he'd been a linebacker, guessing his weight to be in the mid-200s. He laughed and said he'd been an o-lineman. (Army's linemen do generally have to pare off some weight before they can graduate.) We talked for a few minutes about Army football and specifically about the Army-OU game in 2018 and the Army-Michigan game in 2019. Both were games Army lost in overtime.

He told me that even though Michigan's crowd was about 20,000 bigger than OU's, the Sooner fans were consistently louder--especially when the game was on the line. The Army team was very disappointed in losing to OU but they knew they had to play nearly perfectly to win. He said the loss to Michigan was disappointing in a slightly different way as his team made multiple mistakes against the Wolverines.

I told him how proud I was of the way he and his teammates conducted themselves before, during, and after the game--to include leaving their locker room in spotless condition when they left. Bottom line is that he was a very intelligent, articulate, and impressive young man and I count myself fortunate to be numbered among people like him.

Sorry for the long post but I felt I just had to share this with my Sooner brethren.

Nice... Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: iasooner1
Sad when we can barely beat an Army team and get curbstomped by an SEC team in the CFP. I am as loyal to the Men in Uniform as anyone but don't understand the joy in barely beating them. Says more about the state of our Program than theirs.

Reactions: iasooner1
Sad when we can barely beat an Army team and get curbstomped by an SEC team in the CFP. I am as loyal to the Men in Uniform as anyone but don't understand the joy in barely beating them. Says more about the state of our Program than theirs.
Army was 11-2 and could play with any team in the country in 2018 and OU, with its typically bad defense, was not as superior to Army as most thought.
Having to score 51 points to beat a 5-7 Texas Tech team (51-46) was much more of an indictment of the state of OU's program.
When OU starts playing defense like an elite SEC team, championships will be possible.

Last edited:

The Army team of 2018 was probably the best service academy team in recent memory. (Yeah, there's some bias in that assessment.) They went 11-2, losing their first game on the road and to OU in Norman in OT but easily winning the Commander in Chief's trophy and a mid-tier bowl game by eight touchdowns. The backs on that team (particularly Darnell Woolfolk) were the best I've seen since I entered the academy in 1972 and perhaps since the Blanchard/Davis days.

OU would have won a lot more comfortably if the Sooners hadn't been stuffed three times inside the five yard line (including a fourth and goal at the one), and a pick to an open Hollywood on a pass that was underthrown by Kyler Murray. Army's precision and discipline created about 45 minutes time of possession and IIRC, the Sooners had either five or six possessions for the game. It's hard to put up many points when you don't have the ball.

The takeaways are that in 2018 Army had its best team since the 1960s and OU's defense couldn't get off the field. If the two teams played 20 times, OU would win 19 of those contests by double digits; 2018 was that one year.

Completely agree that OU will never be championship caliber until our defense resembles that of teams at the top of the SEC, Ohio State, Clemson or even Notre Dame. No defense = perennial also ran on the national stage.

Last edited:
I will be surprised if there is baseball or football this year. Whatever the case, it's out of my control so I'm not stressing about it.

I really don't see a baseball season this year and football is hanging by a thread.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
I feel pretty good about there being football this fall. I think we will have more testing and treatments in the next month or so. If Herbie thinks we have to wait until a vaccine then he is out of his mind. A vaccine could be years away

Army was 11-2 and could play with any team in the country in 2018 and OU, with its typically bad defense, was not as superior to Army as most thought.
Having to score 51 points to beat a 5-7 Texas Tech team (51-46) was much more of an indictment of the state of OU's program.
When OU starts playing defense like an elite SEC team, championships will be possible.
That Tech quarterback turned out to be pretty good.

The Tech QB and his backup in 2018 were not great! Mahomes left Tech after the 2016 season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT