ADVERTISEMENT

Arm chair QB: OU vs Tulsa

jwall2

Sooner commitment
Gold Member
Nov 9, 2005
Heaven
Warning***** Long post sorry

Offense: felt like Lincoln and BM are getting on sync with playcalling and execution. Think Lincoln really is starting to grasp the strengths of our offense with a few exceptions, mixon needs to be involved earlier in the game wasn't till 12+ plays in the game till he touches the ball , I get the feeling they are trying to hold back as much of the mixon package as possible, get the same feeling about Andrews as well.... Oline still the main defeciency of this offense.... felt Danley had a great game, played much better than Nila .... this is why Nila got benched..... thought perine made more comptetive runs, in the previous games thought he ran in front of his shoulder pad... this game he was more patient and it paid off...... 2 fumbles messed up our rhythm and we struggled thru the rest of the game to find it...

Defense: thought early dline played good, dictated tulsa's effeciency and got them behind the chains and disrupted their timing.... as good as they played early I think they played equally as bad after half way thru the 2nd qtr. No pass rush didn't disrupt the pocket and allowed evans to get into rhythm.... as the d line started to suck it up the secondary began showing its true colors..... poor formation\play recognition, terrible reacting to the ball and non competitive body language and play accentuated Mike stoops inability to setup his Dbs in a position of success against spread offenses...to predictable and Dbs position on the field is too soft... overall felt the defense relaxed at the 2nd qtr after we took a 17-3 lead and it looked like their were playing for the bye week....

Specials teams: all phases solid except for 1...... punt team...... I'm sure we can all come up with mutiple games over bob stoops' tenure where punt return won or positively influenced their ability to win a game..... their approach this week was to completely abandon any kind of return coverage and was obvious of a pre snap fair catch.... don't think other teams won't notice the lazy nature of this unit, expect fakes later in the year.....

Overall: I think that some of the deficiencies we were wondering about reared their ugly head again this week. I think what disturbs me the most is our teams complacent nature in games like these...... it sets these kids up for failure because I think it allows them the freedom of deciding when they should play hard or when they can take plays or series off... I think it's a trend I've seen out of OU teams fo the past 7 years..... think the talent is here to be a championship team I just don't know if the maturity or discipline is there yet... Boomer Sooner!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.