ADVERTISEMENT

April 19th a day I will never forget. On April 19th 1995 my office was in Leadership Square

bullmarket

Sooner signee
May 29, 2001
on the 2nd floor in downtown Oklahoma City. The Alfred P. Murrah Federal building was one block away.
Today is the 25th anniversary of the OKC bombing

On the morning of April 19th, 1995 I did what I always do early in the morning and that is to park my car on 8th street between Shartel and Hudson. I would then walk to my office for exercise. At about 8:40 I passed the Murrah Federal Building and I noticed that day many young people outside of the Murrah building smoking and talking. I walked down Robinson and reached my office at about 8:55.

I say down in my chair, and about 7 minutes later, I heard the most powerful boom I have ever heard in my life. I thought an Airplane had hit our building Leadership Square. I had jumped under my desk and when I turned to look out of my window, smoke was billowing behind a bank that blocked my view of the Murrah building. I called my wife and I told her that an explosion occurred a block from our office and that I was ok.

Leadership Square Management told us to leave the building and to go home. They said the explosion came from The Federal Building. I took a roundabout way to get back to my car and I drove Home.

I turned on the TV when I got home and they said it appeared that a bomb was in a Ryder Truck and there was huge destruction at the Murrah building with many hurt and possibly some deaths.

I knew my secretary's sister worked in HUD in that building and I was concerned for her safety.

Sadly we eventually learned that she was killed included with 168 people and 19 children killed in the Murrah Building Daycare. There were over 500 people injured.

The Perpetrators Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols were captured. They were associated with an extreme right wing and military Patriot group who said they did the crime to avenge the FBI raid in Waco also on April 19th in 1993 after a 51 day standoff which led to a fire killing 75 Branch Davidian members and the leader of their sect.

The FBI head who led the FBI attack in Waco Texas was based in OKC..

One of the biggest memories of that day in 1995 was picture of an OKC firemen carrying a dead 1 year old baby.

Also in the 2 months after the bombing I parked my car near the OKC Police department and I walked to my office every morning. I will never forget that smell of death that remained downtown.

The tragedy of the many who died and were hurt, I also will not forget. My Secretary's sister who died, had two young children and her husband and they are still mourning their mother and wife who died way too soon 25 years ago.

I still wonder about all of those young people I saw standing outside of the Murrah building
about 20 minutes before the bomb went off, if they survived.

RIP for all of the innocents and their families

Last edited:
Was working in Norman at the time. Turned on WWLS and Tony Sellars was describing what he just saw and heard. One of he ladies I worked with had a husband just across the street. It was the longest 2 hours spent until he called to say he was ok. That was epic crazy and a very sad time for us all.

ADVERTISEMENT