ADVERTISEMENT

Any Answers...My Daughter has a 2008 Hynudai Accent & the steering wheel locked & the key won't turn

bullmarket

Sooner signee
May 29, 2001
She bought her car new and the car is in great shape and this is the first time this has happened.

Any answer to solve this is much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
She bought the car new and her car is in great shape and this is the first time this has happened.

Any answer to solve this is much appreciated.

Thanks

Try turning the wheel a bit to the left until it stops and hold it there while turning the key. If that doesn't work, try it to the right. One way or another, it should work.

Try turning the wheel a bit to the left until it stops and hold it there while turning the key.

Thanks Veritas.
The steering wheel is turned and locked toward the right and we have tried to turn it each way and the steering wheel remains locked and the key will not turn

Reactions: veritas59
Vehicles I've experienced this with in the past, is usually a combo of steering wheel movement and jiggling/turning the ignition at the same time till it finds that sweet spots and lets the key turn.

Me too. Just have to take a little pressure off of the steering column while turning the key.

Reactions: iasooner1
Vehicles I've experienced this with in the past, is usually a combo of steering wheel movement and jiggling/turning the ignition at the same time till it finds that sweet spots and lets the key turn.
Thanks Billy we will try that. The Steering wheel has zero movement each way left and right and the key seems locked in place.

Thanks Billy we will try that. The Steering wheel has zero movement each way left and right and the key seems locked in place.
Hmm..ya that's a new twist I've never dealt with. I have always messed with steering wheels that had a tab bit of play each way. Still go back and forth with the steering wheel and jiggle on the key while turning it till it finds that sweet spot. At least this trick has worked on the handful of vehicles I've dealt with in the past. Hope you get it unlocked man and not messing with it on your Thanksgiving.

Are the wheels turned?
This Q is Very Important...My Steering Wheel locked up, because of removing the key right after a sharp turn. When it was finally operable, again, I was warned to always straighten the wheels before I kill the engine. You can bet I've been Very Careful to do that. An old habit with me is that when ANYTHING goes wrong, I always try to find out WHY, to avoid repeating the problem. Lesson Learned!

Good Luck on this, Bull, and Please let us know which Fix worked. I'm guessing that one of these answers will help!

Last edited:
South Korea has a single Ford dealer. The U. S. has 1500 Hyundai and Kia dealers. Now let's brag about the unmitigated brilliance of U. S. trade negotiators.
I was a Ford guy but then had three Fords in a row develop electrical problems. Started buying Hyundai vehicles. Better cars with a lower price. If the steering wheel locks then jiggle the shifter, steering wheel and key.

Thank to everyone who gave their ideas.

It is now fixed. It took a locksmith who changed out the ignition switch and he did some work on the steering column which he disassembled and then reassembled.

He was amazingly cheap only $150 and he did a great job fixing it.

Everything was locked up including the the steering column the key was locked and the shift to change from park to reverse to drive was locked. Even the front tires were locked according to the AAA tow truck driver.

Thank to everyone who gave their ideas.

It is now fixed. It took a locksmith who changed out the ignition switch and he did some work on the steering column which he disassembled and then reassembled.

He was amazingly cheap only $150 and he did a great job fixing it.

Everything was locked up including the the steering column the key was locked and the shift to change from park to reverse to drive was locked. Even the front tires were locked according to the AAA tow truck driver.
Was the battery disconnected to change out the steering column stuff?

What sort of climate is the car kept in? The key on my mustang sometimes requires a little "jiggling" when I take it to the beach and leave it parked for a few days. I always figured it was a combination of salt and moisture.

Medic I do not know the answer to this since I was not there.

Why do you ask this question my friend? Is it important to disconnect the battery?
Well, the problem actually sounds like the onboard computer had an issue. This can happen if the battery has low voltage output. This is sometimes seen in vehicles that have a sluggish start or have had to be jump started recently. The steering, gear selector, power windows, mirrors, wipers, etc won't work and it all happens at once. Disconnecting the battery resets the computer and solves the issue. In theory, it could have been solved by the disconnection of the battery to replace stuff and have had nothing to do with the replaced parts. Lots of info on the Google about it.

Well, the problem actually sounds like the onboard computer had an issue. This can happen if the battery has low voltage output. This is sometimes seen in vehicles that have a sluggish start or have had to be jump started recently. The steering, gear selector, power windows, mirrors, wipers, etc won't work and it all happens at once. Disconnecting the battery resets the computer and solves the issue. In theory, it could have been solved by the disconnection of the battery to replace stuff and have had nothing to do with the replaced parts. Lots of info on the Google about it.

Thanks

Nerd

Grammer Polease...:cool:

24296407_1993787860636886_37373292826119994_n.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, grOUch-in-Oz, I'm still trying to learn English, German and Spanish. I understand fully the power of ten and the decimal and I possess a strong working knowledge of wave mechanics. Verbal communication and writing is where I sometimes fall woefully short.

ADVERTISEMENT