ADVERTISEMENT

All time Bedlam stats from the official OU site

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
OU upped its all-time series record against OSU to 89-18-7 (.811) and to 41-7-5 (.821) in Stillwater. The Sooners' 89 wins against the Cowboys are their most against one opponent and the second most in FBS history against one program (Nebraska has 91 wins vs. Kansas). OU is now 16-1 against OSU when both teams have been ranked in the Associated Press poll, including 10-1 in Stillwater.

I guess that since Nebraska won't be playing Kansas anytime soon, that we'll pass them in a few years for having the most wins by any school in the FBS against another FBS school.

How is that called a rivalry?

I hate the word Bedlam, when applied to the OU/OSU football game.
OK for Wrestling, where it got its origin.
To give it to football, gives credence to the 'Rivalry".
Now, I hate Rivalry when applied to the OU/OSU football game.
Only thing that makes it a "rivalry" is, both schools are in the state of Oklahoma.
Might as well call OU/Tulsa a Rivalry, too.
At 20-7-1 against the Golden Hurricane, the win percentage for OU is "only" .732.

I hate the word Bedlam, when applied to the OU/OSU football game.
OK for Wrestling, where it got its origin.
To give it to football, gives credence to the 'Rivalry".
Now, I hate Rivalry when applied to the OU/OSU football game.
Only thing that makes it a "rivalry" is, both schools are in the state of Oklahoma.
Might as well call OU/Tulsa a Rivalry, too.
At 20-7-1 against the Golden Hurricane, the win percentage for OU is "only" .732.

I’ve always considered Texas and Nebraska as OU rivalry games. Not when we play Oklahoma State. But I do acknowledge the Aggies consider OU their big rival. Why I don’t really know. I’d go pick on someone that I could beat at least as many times as they beat me....or close to it. I’m trying to think of someone they could have picked 50 years ago that would have been a good match for them all these years. Can’t come up with anyone.

Reactions: veritas59
OU upped its all-time series record against OSU to 89-18-7 (.811) and to 41-7-5 (.821) in Stillwater. The Sooners' 89 wins against the Cowboys are their most against one opponent and the second most in FBS history against one program (Nebraska has 91 wins vs. Kansas). OU is now 16-1 against OSU when both teams have been ranked in the Associated Press poll, including 10-1 in Stillwater.

I guess that since Nebraska won't be playing Kansas anytime soon, that we'll pass them in a few years for having the most wins by any school in the FBS against another FBS school.

How is that called a rivalry?
I had this exact discussion with my in-laws.To OU it is just Bedlam. Texas is our main rival and OSU is not nor has it ever been. They wish they were.

I had this exact discussion with my in-laws.To OU it is just Bedlam. Texas is our main rival and OSU is not nor has it ever been. They wish they were.
I had a good buddy who is a very accomplished architect in Dallas. He helped me coach a couple of teams. He is an OSU alum. In that time frame, OSU beat us a couple of times, and he and I had the discussion about whether or not they are OUr rival. They beat us in 01 in Norman, then again in 02 in Stillwater.

In 03, Lester was their head coach. It was the year when he gave his "let er rip" pre-game interview with the sideline reporter, I think from ABC. We beat them 52-9, much to his disappointment. I told him that's what you get, when you make us give you OUr full focus, rather than just another game, which as you said, they usually were, and mostly still are.

Since the back to back 17 years ago, they have won Bedlam twice. Bob's re-kick was one. And in 2011 when they went 12-1 and won the conference, we played them up there and were missing a dozen players in the rotation, and they kicked us. So since 2002, we are now 15-2. As I told my buddy in 2003, that's what you get if you're an OSU fan and you have OUr full attention.

I like the Bedlam label, primarily because the national talking heads like referencing it, and it makes is seem nationally relevant. Can't hurt when lobbying for a top four ranking, especially when they were ranked 21.

Since LR seems to want to call it a rivalry, I won't dispute the claim. My soph year is still me favorite Bedlam game. We won 66-6 eighth ever wishbone game for OU. And Jack Mildren and Greg Pruitt gave the fans at Memorial Stadium a hint was what laid ahead in 1971. 66-6 seemed to have so much symmetry.

Today I asked my math classes the following question: If OSU were to win two of three games against OU indefinitely, in what year would they even the series? I now pose the same question to the board...

Today I asked my math classes the following question: If OSU were to win two of three games against OU indefinitely, in what year would they even the series? I now pose the same question to the board...
If my math is correct, they would gain one game on us every three years. Being 71 games behind, that would take them 213 years. 2233 would be my guess.

If my math is correct, they would gain one game on us every three years. Being 71 games behind, that would take them 213 years. 2233 would be my guess.

Actually, I had it at 2232 (2020 to 2232, inclusive)

Pretty unbelievable, isn't it?

Reactions: Soonerheart
If OSU were to win every game until they passed OU, I would not possibly see it.

People forget that OSU and Tulsa were in the same conference for 22 years, the Missouri Valley. All of their "national championships" in football and basketball, came while the were in the MVC as Oklahoma A&M. And they played Tulsa in football for 40 consecutive seasons from 1926 to 1965.. And from 1981 through 2000, they played every season by one.

So Tulsa used to be kind of their rival. But except for the 80's and 90's, there have been 34 seasons since '65, and in those years '66-79 and 2001 though last season, they only played seven games. And only four since 2004, though two of the last three.

Since OSU joined the Big 8 in 1960, I believe they are 26-8 against GH.

Plaino, with which hand did Jack Mildren eat? He was left handed. I think you told me once. Jack threw right and looked awkward. Back in the day, teachers and parents told us to do everything right. President Reagan was left handed. He signed all documents right.

I'm ambidextrous and ambipedal. My mother told me to eat and write right. She was a nut for manners. I was a young adult before I learned most people's brain favors one side of the body. My OU junior granddaughter is the same as I. Handedness is not genetic. The Great Father decides which side of the body the brain favors.

Jack threw right, but ate and wrote left. Part of what made him such an effective option quarterback.

I've always thought that what happens in the womb has a lot to do with it, because identical twins are frequently so called mirror twins where one is right handed and one left handed despite identical gene sets.

My mom was left handed. But when she was a kid, the common belief was to make ALL children right handed, at least in writing. Likely because they wouldn't let her write left handed in he elementary years, she eventually wrote left, but it was hard to read.

Labeling the OU-OSU rivalry as "Bedlam" seems strange to me, but with Nebraska and Texas A&M no longer in the Big 12, I guess hyping this lopsided series as much as possible is the thing to do.

Reactions: iasooner1
Jack threw right, but ate and wrote left. Part of what made him such an effective option quarterback.

I've always thought that what happens in the womb has a lot to do with it, because identical twins are frequently so called mirror twins where one is right handed and one left handed despite identical gene sets.

My mom was left handed. But when she was a kid, the common belief was to make ALL children right handed, at least in writing. Likely because they wouldn't let her write left handed in he elementary years, she eventually wrote left, but it was hard to read.

I've known to sets of mirror twins. Female and male. In both found one left and one right handed. In both found one left and one right head crowns.

I thought you once told me Jack ate left.

Once eating Thanksgiving dinner at my mother's house in Lawton, my ultra left handed sister sat to my right. I ate left so not to interfere with her. My mother saw me and said, "you're eating left." My mother sounded as if I was committing a cardinal sin.

Is anything awarded to the bedlam winner? (axe, jug, bucket, bell, saw, rake, bottle opener, etc.) Seems like a good rivalry game needs to have some sort of treasured implement at stake.

Last edited:
If there was an annual award given to the Bedlam football winner, OU'd have to undertake a major construction project to house them all.

There are at least two trophies. The one OU received this year, was in the dressing room after the game. The biggest part of it was the state of Oklahoma atop the trophy, apparently over a foot wide.

There is also a point system that I don't quite understand. But there is an overall Bedlam trophy based solely on the head to head competition between the Sooners and OSU. I believe every game counts. So in baseball if you sweep a series, you get three points. You get one for winning football. Same with softball. Three games. One point for each. I don't think post season games count.

School with the most points end of May wins. I think OSU got their first win a year ago.

We are great in both gymnastics, but that doesn't count, because OSU has neither.

Meh. That trophy sounds too much like the LSU-Arkie "Golden Boot" which features Arkansas and Louisiana cast in gold as they appear on the map. I think they should either do a horse shoe, wagon wheel, or even better, a six-shooter, for Bedlam.

ADVERTISEMENT